Which itinerary/excursions for a 3 YO?

klsinga

We are trying to decide between two E. Caribbean itineraries. Both include Grand Turk, a private Bahamian Island (Half Moon Cay or Princess Cays) and St. Thomas.

One goes to St. Maarten, while the other goes to San Juan. Any opinions on what itinerary would be better with a 3 year old? I though we had decided based on the cruise line, but now I'm second-guessing myself.

Also, if you have any favorite excursions/places to check out at any of the above-mentioned ports, I'm all ears! I'm a bit worried about St. Thomas, so any tips for there would be great. I did read a few of the other posts about excursions for 3 year olds, but would like to hear additional suggestions.

Thanks!

I'd say it depends on whether you have an active 3 YO or one who would be content to sit in a stroller and do some sight-seeing.

San Juan, to me, has more opportunity for your little one to run around and have some more freedome (the lawns of the forts are huge and look like they're almost MADE for this specific purpose, LOL). I'm also betting your 3 YO would get a kick out of riding the free trolley around Old San Juan.

St. Martin, to me, is mostly shopping. Beaches include taxi rides, which, depending on whether or not you're planning on bringing a carseat and your opinion on whether or not your kiddo needs one, would factor into the decision.

another vote for San Juan - you can easily walk to the fort from the pier (especially with a stroller). As much as I love St. Maarten, unless you wanted to shop in Phillipsburg, you'd have to take a taxi to go anywhere else (with carseat/booster) which can be a pain... We did a San Juan/HMC/Grand Turk/St. Thomas itinerary last year with our 6 year old and 11 month old, and we had a great time... The only place we took a taxi was St. Thomas - to get to Magen's Bay, a beautiful calm beach where we felt very safe... Happy sailing :)

I personally love St.Martin and would rather go to the beautiful beach a short water taxi away from the pier. The water taxi is fast and cheap. I do not care for San Juan at all. Shovels and a bucket at the beach is a great way for a 3 year old to spend the day.

I am sure you will have fun either way!

I haven't been to any of the eastern caribbean islands. However, I have traveled with a 2 year old to the western caribbean as well as the Bahamas when she was 1 years old. On the western caribbean cruise, we swam with dolphins in Grand Cayman (we didn't book through the ship but rather with the same company the ship uses and our daughter was free!), had monkeys and parrots on our shoulders in Roatan and did an all inclusive beach party in Cozumel. In the Bahamas we went to the Aquarium in Atlantis and Disney's private island. She loved every excursion and greatly enjoyed the cruises. Although, this isn't an exact answer to your question, I hope it will help you choose an itinerary and excursions that your little one will enjoy. Basically, research the excursions offered for each island on cruise critic message boards and decide which ones your 3 year old and the rest of your family would enjoy. And I will add that an all inclusive beach party is definately a relaxing excursion for a family with a little one. So make sure to check into that.

Archived