Looking for a good place in GC to bring kids

robstercraw

My wife and 3 kids are going to be on RC Freedom on the Feb 20,2011 cruise and were trying to plan way ahead. When we get off in GC, I want to go scuba diving. My wife wants a stress free trip to a beach where she can manage the kids (who like pools most), and get a shaded spot and beach chair/hut. Ww want to do this as cheaply as possible but still have it be stress free.

Kids are 5, 5 and 8.

Any suggestions?

Anywhere on Seven Mile Beach, such as Royal Palms or Sea Grape, is probably her best bet. Both sections are a short taxi ride from the ship and have good facilities such as clean washrooms and outdoor showers. Both have rental chairs, umbrellas, watersports, etc. as well as a beach bar/restaurant to purchase snacks.

Shade will have to be from the rented umbrella, as Seven Mile has few trees (at least in the areas with facilities) and there won't be a pool. Few (if any) of the hotels do day passes, so that's probably not a feasible option.

July 22 - Seven of us (2 olds, 2 mids, 3 kids) had a great time with the Stingray Sailing experience. The private tour started with a bus ride from the tender port in George Town to a yacht club. A powered catamaran took 35 minutes to get us out to a sandbar only a couple of feet deep where friendly rays let you touch and feed them. Great for the kids, mids and olds alike.

After a good amount of time on the sandbar, we moved over to a snorkeling area. All equipment was provided. Then sailing back to the club (and bus to the ship) sipping beer or soda. Nice visit and a fun time on the beautiful blue/green waters.

If you are looking for something inexpensive, I agree with the poster that indicated 7 mile beach is a good place to go if your wife wants a beach day. It is stress free and easy to have a cab drop her and the kids off at a spot along 7 mile.

As soon as you get off the ship there will be cab drivers right there at the port offering to get you there. It will probably run you somewhere around $10pp to get a round trip taxi to the beach, but you can probably negotiate the price down.

Fees to rent chairs and an umbrella(s) at the beach are pretty nominal. We paid about $5-10 for each item needed when I was there in May.

We didn't try the bus, but I have heard that the bus is also easy transportation to the beach and cheaper than a taxi.

• 2 weeks later...
...Seven Mile has few trees (at least in the areas with facilities) and there won't be a pool.

Who knows if it will actually be completed by the February 2011 sailing for robstercraw, but the Reef Grill at Royal Palms has applied for planning permission to put in a swimming pool.

Plans call for a swim up bar, patio space, and some private cabanas. Sweet! :D

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2010/08/04/Swim-right-up-for-a-drink-at-the-Reef/

Who knows if it will actually be completed by the February 2011 sailing for robstercraw, but the Reef Grill at Royal Palms has applied for planning permission to put in a swimming pool.

Wow! That's awesome. I hope planning permission comes through...that will make our favorite in-town stop even better...

Thanks for the update!

The beach might be stress free but i doubt if your wife with 3 kids will be. LOL. We raised 4 so i know what its like.

no kidding! I would worry about things like do I pack up all of our stuff everytime someone needs to use the bathroom? How close are the bathrooms? My twins and oldest are 2 years 2 months apart. ;)

Archived