London Hotel Advice

jezzdogg

We will be in London for 2 days before our TA in September. Several of the posters are staying at the Reuben, but dh can not see speng at kinds of money for 2 nighs, knowing we can use the Marriott friends and family discount for a lot less. Have not been to London for almost 10 years so need advice on where to stay, Marble Arch, Kenningston, Regents Park or Westminister.

Thanks

Norma

Hi, Norma,

We are using Marriott points to stay at the Marriott County Hall - next to the London Eye (upgraded to exec level). It is centrally located and has great views of Big Ben, etc. It was either this or the Renassiance - which also received good reviews and is closer to the theatre district.

I haven't been to London in 20yrs and this is my husband's first trip. We are looking forward to it.

Good luck and have fun!

Miriam

Hi, Norma! We are also using Marriott points, and have both the Renaissance Chancery Court AND Marriott County Hall reserved! We stayed at County Hall in 2000, and it was a beautiful hotel in a GREAT location. We will be staying in London 1 night before our cruise, and taking the train to the port at Harwich, so we'll stay at the Renaissance then. We'll be back in London for 2 nights after the cruise, and I'm not sure which location we'll choose.

You may want to do some research on biddingfortravel http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm215 I got my Thistle Charing Cross hotel for $100/night plus taxes via priceline after lots of research on the biddinfortravel web site. It's a 4-star hotel. The Kensington Forum (a Holiday Inn) has been coming in around $75. You can read the postings to get an idea of the other hotels that have been "won" on priceline. It's a much better way to go if you want a 4-star hotel in London without paying those high prices!

Monica ;)

Hi Norma,

Looking forward to meeting both you and your husband on our July 2 cruise & our St. Petersburg tours. Most definitely the County Hall is the place to stay. This Marriott overlooks the Thames, Big Ben and Parliment. County Hall is our favorite hotel in London. For the us the hotel is centrally located. We will be staying there 2 nights post-cruise in July. Hope this helps.

Thanks Eileen

Are you and Jay the other couple on our tour of St. Petersburg? We are flying into Heathrow and taking right off for 3 days in Copenhagen(yes I know we are there overnight, but there is sooo much to see and we have been to London before and will be there again before our tranatlantic in Sept. when Buckingham Palace is open) Fly back tio Heathrow and transfer to Dover(what are you dong about the transfers?) At the end of the cruise, a wonderful couple we meet on our last cruise, that we became great friends with are meeting us and taking us sightseeing Sat and spending sat night at a place they pick(maybe a B&B) as we have to leave Sunday night so back to the grindstone on Monday.

You HAVE to go on the Palace Tour. We did this on our trip in late August of 2001 and LOVED it. We even bought the neatest souveniers in the palace gift shop. (some great thimbles of the heads of the King and Queen of England!) You will wonder how the Queen really lives in such an environment. It is so uncomfortable looking, but just beautiful. And they have a great booklet you can buy that has photos of the inside since no photos were allowed taken inside the palace.

Have fun!

June

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just booked my first hotel through Priceline and I am looking for input. I ended up with the Waldorf Hilton for $122 a night. I found a few comments about the hotel but I am wondering if anyone has actually stayed there recently? The reports I've read said it has been undergoing a massive construction renovation project but it sounds like it is nearing completion. The only review online I could find was from last spring and it was not very complimentary due to the construction. Anyone know about it? Thanks!!

Pam

Archived