Is taking food off ship allowed???

We will be on the HAL Maasdam going from Boston to Montreal. We would like to take some food off the ship in a cooler for a picnic lunch while in Halifax, Sydney and Charlottetown. Does any one know if this is allowed by Canadian Agricultureal Department (or whatever department regulates this sort of thing)? Before anyone flames me, this is not because we want to save money, but we are renting cars in these ports and will be driving around. Eating lunch in some scenic location is very relaxing and fun to do.

I have also posted this on the HAL board.

Thank you for your help.

We will be on the HAL Maasdam going from Boston to Montreal. We would like to take some food off the ship in a cooler for a picnic lunch while in Halifax, Sydney and Charlottetown. Does any one know if this is allowed by Canadian Agricultureal Department (or whatever department regulates this sort of thing)? Before anyone flames me, this is not because we want to save money, but we are renting cars in these ports and will be driving around. Eating lunch in some scenic location is very relaxing and fun to do.

I have also posted this on the HAL board.

Thank you for your help.

First of all - there is nothing wrong with wanting to save money for those that choose to do so. If fellow board members are concerned about the spending habits of others in port, they have way too much time on their hands :)

As for the Canadian Customs / Agriculture - they are not there to screen pax that come of the cruise ships - you just walk off.

Packaged snacks are permitted. With foods beyond that you will be cautioned not to take ashore as Canadian customs and Agriculture Canada have no idea of their source. Will you be caught...well that's another question but if you are caught you do risk heavy fines. My suggestion would be go to a local deli once ashore and purchase some sandwiches, I would extend your country the same courtesy.

Archived