So did i screw up?

joey shoes

Long story short - what i thought was going to be a nice cruise for just the better half and I has snowballed. We mentioned the itin to a couple of friends, who mentioned it to a couple of more. Bottom line is we now have 16 people (8 cabins worth) with the very real possibility of picking up 3 or 4 more cabins before our cruise in November.

We had no idea we would end up with a small mob, but now that we have one, can we get anything from Carnival like a reception or maybe a cabin credit for each of us? We have all booked through different channels, and most have already paid in full, so cancelling everyone and rebooking as a group is not really an option.

Is it even worth my time to call Carnival and ask? If so, what should I ask for and what can I expect?

However since you didn't go through a group cruise coordinator at the start and since everyone booked their rooms seperatley, I doubt you will find Carnival very willing to extend any sort of benefit. However, nothing ventured is nothing gained. Right?

:( I think it's too late. You should have booked as a group and you would have had discounted rates plus a perk or two.

At least you'll know for next time :)

Have a great cruise. :)

Also remember, you don't have to be in each others back pockets for the whole cruise. Arrange what ever excursions you want and let the others know what you are doing (if you want) and they can book or not book on their own. Whatever you do, and this comes from experience, do no try and get everyone on the same excursions or doing the same things - you will always get complaints. Just do whatever you were going to do as a couple and enjoy your friends when ever you want or can. Good luck. Keep us posted. Too bad you didn't book as a group - but you know for next time. Just keep in mind, there will be people who have to cancel, decide they don't want to go, family emergency etc and you are not saddled with all of this.

On a side note - IF you all wish to dine together get your individual TA's to 'link' your reservations together so that you show as a 'group' for dining purposes and they will try and assign you all to tables close to each other with others from your 'group' - of course this is IF you want and IF you all booked the same dining time. Have a GREAT time!

Long story short - what i thought was going to be a nice cruise for just the better half and I has snowballed. We mentioned the itin to a couple of friends, who mentioned it to a couple of more. Bottom line is we now have 16 people (8 cabins worth) with the very real possibility of picking up 3 or 4 more cabins before our cruise in November.

We had no idea we would end up with a small mob, but now that we have one, can we get anything from Carnival like a reception or maybe a cabin credit for each of us? We have all booked through different channels, and most have already paid in full, so cancelling everyone and rebooking as a group is not really an option.

Is it even worth my time to call Carnival and ask? If so, what should I ask for and what can I expect?

You're getting exactly what you booked, a cruise for your and your other half. Whether 16 people you know also booked or not, has no relevance to you since you didn't all book as a group.

Don't look to get anything special out of it except a nice time.

I would guess that IF you could change a bunch of bookings into a group, then I would guess the ROLL CALL forums would be even more fun!

Think about it, we see more than 8 cabins for almost every cruise where the people have CC in common.

Of course I think Carnival would do well to give CC members a 'group benefit', but what do I know?

My vote is no and enjoy the cruise. You booked through different channels and paid in full. What incentive does Carnival have?

I guess next time send out emails before you book. To simplify matters, I just send out emails telling people when we are going and don't bother with group bookings. Open invitation, no hassles, whoever wants to go goes, thos that don't, don't. Lot simpler.

If you get up to 20 for your head count, you could go through the group events people and buy a hosted cocktail hour. It won't be a perk of booking a group like you did - anyone can do this. But to get unlimited drinks for an hour, & your own space for a party with just your friends might be a lot of fun. It is a little over $11 per person if memory serves, such a deal.

If you are not at final payment (which you should not be) then you could call and reclassify to a group status if it is available for your cruise. The price would be at the prevailing rate though so if your prices have gone up that may not be something you want to do. You may also have issues reclassifying if you are early saver but the savings may be worth the $50 fee. I say it is definitely worth checking out!

If you get up to 20 for your head count, you could go through the group events people and buy a hosted cocktail hour. It won't be a perk of booking a group like you did - anyone can do this. But to get unlimited drinks for an hour, & your own space for a party with just your friends might be a lot of fun. It is a little over $11 per person if memory serves, such a deal.

I second this if your group is the drinking kind - you can't beat the price!

TOO LATE! As with most discounts, group space is capacity controlled. The USUAL minimum is 8 cabins to get one BERTH free. That is only the cruise fare free. Govt fees and taxes still must be paid. And the free berth is at the lowest rate booked. So you have missed out on very little.

Not really worth it in my opinion to do a group booking. I've heard horror stories from people that have coordinated a group cruise and regretted it. Friends of mine were the ones coordinating a group cruise thru our TA for a Carnival cruise and between people booking then cancelling then giving her their sob stories and their dissatisfaction with the TA or whatever she said sooooo not worth the aggrevation.

Be happy you are cruising together and don't worry about perks. For gatherings, just make a plan like you would on a roll call to get together at a certain location at a certain time for cocktails etc. Exchange booking numbers so the dining times can be linked - very easy to do even when booking different ways. I did this on my last cruise with the AZ cruisers on cruise critic. We all booked differently and we all got to eat together every night.

We also got a cruise critic hosted party on RCI but I don't know if Carnival offers that.

Don't you just hate that? Any more, my wife and I will not tell anyone that we are going on vacation because they will want to tag along! People don't get it, if you wanted a group to go with you, you would have asked a group to go with you.

I think the "screw up" that the OP is referring to is wanting some alone time with the better half and now it’s a party. Missing any discounts might be additional. Hopefully, it will work out. That's what I got from the post. :)

any group bookings for any type of discount you would have to go thru their group booking dept.

with that said, you should call carnival and ask them about a reception area for your group. depending on the # of ppl in your group, you may be able to get a room to host everyone 1 evening with the bar. they will quote you X amount per person. if it is acceptable to everyone, that will be a nice little get together.

as far as some personal time with your better half... plan a night at the steak house (if your ship has one) just the two of you. don't tell anyone until last minute so there won't be some sort of chance they will come with you since you have to make reservations.

hope your trip turns out to be a blast :)

Archived