Breakfast/Lunch in the MDR

Love the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Very civilized. For breakfast the food is the same menu as the WJ (there may even be a breakfast "special") and the food has not been sitting around in steam trays. For lunch they have a menu and offer a salad bar where they make you a salad with exactly what you want - much more extensive selection of add-ons than the WJ. Even the dessert selection seemed better. And they say they will get you in and out in 1/2 hour. The menus are posted every day outside the dining room and the lunch menu will have items not available in the WJ.

Hello,

We have always eaten breakfast/lunch in the buffet, but would like to eat in the MDR on our cruise next month. Unlike dinner, do we seat ourselves, or are you assigned a table?

Thanks as always!

The MDR is opened daily for breakfast. However, it has been our experience that lunch is only served in the MDR on sea days and not port days. If you would like a table for two you can request it from the host/hostess that greets you at the door. If there is one available, it's all yours.

They offer a wonderful Salad Bar for lunch that they make for you. You just walk along and tell them what to throw in the bowl and at the end you have created a masterpiece!:D Usually there is a daily special on the menu also.

Just check your Daily Planner for times.

Unless you ask for your party to be seated at a seperate table they will seat you at a large table. If there are two or four you can ask to be seated by yourselves and they will do that.

At breakfast I don't want to sit with strangers-just me-I'm not very sociable in the morning so we like to sit with just our group.

Have your group meet outside the dining room - we ran into the same problem - four of us showed up and the other two were late - so we asked for a table for six and they said no - so we caused a fuss and asked for the head waiter, who we know from the dining room at dinner and he just ordered the door guy to give us a table for six - so that was nice

:)

Love the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Very civilized....[/quote]

I often hear that term utilized when referring to the MDR. Does that mean that those of us who eat in the Windjammer sit on the deck and eat raw meat with our fingers?:rolleyes:

Of course not...it's just that they serve YOU in the dining room...you don't have to go from station to station, waiting for the syrup while your pancakes are getting cold. You don't have to juggle your plate and utensils while searching for bacon. You don't have to get up and down, or have someone "hold" your table while the other is getting coffee....

In the dining room, everything will be on the table and your food will be brought to you, hot and yummy!

If you don't see the combination of foods you want, just tell them. For instance, eggs, bacon/sausage are separate from french toast....just order both! So easy. So nice!

And, tablecloths! So civilized!

Excellent description cb at sea. The atmosphere between the MDR and the WJ is so very different. The MDR is more leisurely - no crowds trying to find tables and no announcements to please vacate your table when you are done. We've been taking 12 day cruises and I have found I particularly like the MDR at lunch. Yes - the menu is more limited, but I find what they do offer to be better prepared whereas the WJ seems to have too many similar offerings every day that come out of a hot tray. In the end it's a personal choice.

Of course not...it's just that they serve YOU in the dining room...you don't have to go from station to station, waiting for the syrup while your pancakes are getting cold. You don't have to juggle your plate and utensils while searching for bacon. You don't have to get up and down, or have someone "hold" your table while the other is getting coffee....

In the dining room, everything will be on the table and your food will be brought to you, hot and yummy!

If you don't see the combination of foods you want, just tell them. For instance, eggs, bacon/sausage are separate from french toast....just order both! So easy. So nice!

And, tablecloths! So civilized!

I'm with you! We will take the dining room for breakfast over the Windjammer, anytime! Can't beat the eggs benedict (for me).

Quite agree, we much prefer the MDR for breakfast; I'm not a WJ fan at the best of times, but on the odd occasion we've breakfasted there, it's been an undignified scramble for food and then try to find a table not still littered with the remnants of the last occupants' meal.

As already stated, in the MDR, your food is brought to you, while you are sat at a clean tidy table.

As for 'being made to share a table', we look forward to that. We get to meet and talk to other cruisers who we may not otherwise have had an opportunity to talk with for more than a few minutes. Always we have found unswervingly friendly chatty folk many of whom have had fascinating tales to tell.

Love it love it love it!:D

Much more elegant in the MDR. And you are already paying for it including the tip -- assuming you tip your waiter and assistant as recommended. Breakfast usually starts with a waiter with a tray of pastries and danish. Yummy. Juice is usually better in the MDR -- Windjammer seems "watery" to me sometimes. Eggs Benedict was not on the menu, but could still be ordered on my last cruise. Also, we find it fun to sit with other passengers. We like to meet new people.

I remember ten years ago breakfast and lunch was also assigned times and table. I'm glad it is open seating now. I prefer assigned seating at night because I know I can make the main theater show on time.

If you have a Cafe Promenade, it is also a good place for a continental breakfast -- wonderful pastries and danish. And they have great Seattle's Best coffee -- much better to me than the MDR or Windjammer coffee.

MDR is usually not open for lunch on port days.

Archived