One more "bring your own soda" question

macdaman

I've read quite a few messages here about one's ability to bring on their own soda. It would seem the consensus is that there should be no problem. However, Celebrity says very plainly when you speak with them that you can not. When pointed out that the cruise contract only mentions wine and alcohol, they then say that the limitation is not theirs and that it's like trying to take sodas on an airplane. Sounds like a pretty bogus analogy to me.

Do you agree that we should be able to bring a small quantity of soda on board? Maybe something along the lines of a 12 pack?

If we are not allowed to bring it on board, who would stop us? The dock workers? The security workers (we're boarding in Vancouver for Alaska so maybe immigration)? The Celebrity check in agent?

I can find no document anywhere that tells me I can't do this. I certainly don't mind following the rules - I'd just like there to be a published rule.

I hope I haven't beat the horse any more than necessary. :(

I've read quite a few messages here about one's ability to bring on their own soda. It would seem the consensus is that there should be no problem. However, Celebrity says very plainly when you speak with them that you can not. When pointed out that the cruise contract only mentions wine and alcohol, they then say that the limitation is not theirs and that it's like trying to take sodas on an airplane. Sounds like a pretty bogus analogy to me.

Do you agree that we should be able to bring a small quantity of soda on board? Maybe something along the lines of a 12 pack?

If we are not allowed to bring it on board, who would stop us? The dock workers? The security workers (we're boarding in Vancouver for Alaska so maybe immigration)? The Celebrity check in agent?

I can find no document anywhere that tells me I can't do this. I certainly don't mind following the rules - I'd just like there to be a published rule.

I hope I haven't beat the horse any more than necessary. :(

I have never seen anything in writing that says that you cannot bring soda and I cannot imagine that it would be a problem. I always bring CF Diet Soda for my DW and I have never had a problem. I have even brought it on board at some of the ports.

I assume that you mean that someone in Customer Service told you on the phone that you could not bring it on board? I have never asked nor do I plan to ask. If it was a problem I am sure that there would be a written policy or statement.

In all of the reading I've ever done on Cruise Critic, and that is a lot, and of all the conversations I've had with cruisers, I've never heard of anyone ever being stopped from bringing their own non-alcoholic beverages on board.

Only possible exception might have been if the items were stored in a way that made them suspet the items were alcohol being smuggled.

My last few cruises, I just slapped a luggage tag (or 2 if available) on a 12 pack of caffeine free diet coke and it was delivered to my cabin with my luggage. By the way, the cardboard is prone to falling apart so I use some packing tape around it as well so it will stay together.

My last few cruises, I just slapped a luggage tag (or 2 if available) on a 12 pack of caffeine free diet coke and it was delivered to my cabin with my luggage. By the way, the cardboard is prone to falling apart so I use some packing tape around it as well so it will stay together.

While I did not bring soda, on our Solstice cruise, I slapped a luggage tag on a case of water, wrapped clear packing tape around it and dropped it with our luggage. It shoed up with all our luggage. We then put 3-4 bottles in the fridge each night and brought them with us on excursions.

We weren't sure if it would work, but at $4 for a case of water, we figured it was worth that small risk to save paying $50+ to buy individual bottles of water. For that reason alone, it may be worth the risk of losing the $6 case of soda to save the drink package charge.

I have never had a problem bringing a 2 liter (or 1 liter-ish bottles in Europe) in my backpack right onto the ship. I have even grabbed duty free alcohol in the loading area, and then put it in my backpack and gotten that aboard with no problem. Just don't act like a smuggler or a schmuck.

We brought on 12 cans of soda and 3 one liter bottles of water. The water came in handy. The soda, however, we found ourselves not even drinking all of it during the cruise. Sounds like a great idea to bring on board yourself to save some money, but it does look a little embarrassing walking into the dining room with your own glass of soda. The soda you buy from them comes in a different glass than what you find in your stateroom.

We had the same issue with our wine. Didn't want to pay a $25 corkage fee on a $15 bottle of wine that we picked up in Italy, so we never brought the bottle into the MDR. And then we didn't want to try to "sneak" in a glass of our own wine into the dining room for the same sheepish reasons. Ended up maybe pouring a glass before dinner to enjoy on the balcony or to walk around at night.

We were on the Equinox in March. I carried on 2 6-packs of 24-oz bottles of diet cola in a softside duffle that then went thru the Celebrity screening as I boarded. No one even blinked at that. I never took soda to the dining room, but my soda is my morning "coffee" and I would also have it in the cabin when we came back from excursions or as we were getting ready for dinner. One 6-pack fit nicely in the fridge once the room steward removed the larger items from the mini-bar.

Hope this helps!

Just got off the Summit on Sunday July 25th. We brought 1/2 doz cans of soda in our carry on. We removed the soda in the refrig. and put our own in. Also, we were told you can bring two bottles of wine with you. Remember to bring the opener for your cabin. We never brought the soda to the dining room. Our friends brought wine with them (we did not) and they brought a glass into the dining room and no one said anything. We also had a couple of bottles of water with us.

It was nice have the soda in the cabin with us.

BTW, we had a wonderful time on the cruise.

Supposedly you can only bring 2 bottles of wine or champagne with you. Soda and water unlimited.

Have a great trip.

In all of the reading I've ever done on Cruise Critic, and that is a lot, and of all the conversations I've had with cruisers, I've never heard of anyone ever being stopped from bringing their own non-alcoholic beverages on board.

Only possible exception might have been if the items were stored in a way that made them suspet the items were alcohol being smuggled.

Maybe what customer service is talking about is that you can't go through security to board with an open can of soda or water.

We've never had a problem bringing on cases. We had one case of two disappear one time but figured I didn't have it well marked.

I have not been stopped from bringing on water or soda. Like so many on the post, I have taped up a case of water and slapped a luggage tag on it. However, I haven't tried to bring either to dinner or such.

At every port, I generally carry back on a big water and a litre of soda pop. No worries. No funny looks or anything. Enjoy!

was on celebrity this month out of vancouver. had 2 12 packs of diet pop & 2 bottles of wine in a soft sided duffel...it made it to the room no problem. the suitcase with the power bar for charging our phones/camera etc was held & we had to go to the naughty room to pick it up. (power bar confiscated)

Archived