Balcony cabin for 4

tkq

After reading several earlier posts I am a little concerned about the layout of our cabin on the Oosterdam. We are booked in a VD balcony for 4 (cabin 4163). I am curious as to the location of the pull down bunk. Is it located over the sofa or above the bed? (I have looked through the photos on Joanie's website but don't see any photos that represent our cabin).

If anyone has been in a similar cabin on the Oosterdam and can put my concerns to rest I would be grateful.

We were in cabin VD4161 on the Oosterdam last month. The pulldown bunk was over the bed. Our 4th person was not able to come on the cruise at the last minute so we never had to use the pulldown. Our plan though was to have the bed made up with the pillows at the foot of the bed as others here have suggested. I think by doing it that way it really would not have been a problem. That is of course until the child decided to jump out of the bunk onto our heads! Actually I thought climbing over/around the open sofa bed to get to the balcony was a bigger deal than the pulldown would've been. But you manage - it's all fine. :)

Ginger

We were in cabin VD4161 on the Oosterdam last month. The pulldown bunk was over the bed. Our 4th person was not able to come on the cruise at the last minute so we never had to use the pulldown. Our plan though was to have the bed made up with the pillows at the foot of the bed as others here have suggested. I think by doing it that way it really would not have been a problem. That is of course until the child decided to jump out of the bunk onto our heads! Actually I thought climbing over/around the open sofa bed to get to the balcony was a bigger deal than the pulldown would've been. But you manage - it's all fine. :)

Ginger

We just booked cabin 5053 VF verandah on Oosterdam. HAL assures us tha the bunk is over the sofa not the bed. She said the bunk over the bed is for insides. I am hoping she is right because this is for 4 adults.

tpginger states they were in 4161, which is an outside stateroom, so whoever at HAL told you the bunk location was unaware of the stateroom layout, in my opinion. I would go with what tpginger says as she was just on the Oosterdam last month.

I did just find a photo from the Noordam, similar stateroom as yours VF 5128 which does show the bunk location (closed) over the sofa. So my thoughts are that the location may vary by ship stateroom layout... The photo below is from Noordam Stateroom VF 5128

5128_boucalatrem-4.jpg

Joanie

I did just find a photo from the Noordam, similar stateroom as yours VF 5128 which does show the bunk location (closed) over the sofa.

I was in cabin 4161 on the Noordam, a quad. Just to be clear, the photo that is posted shows a double storage cabinet that is situated over the couch. The 4th bunk is over the bed as previously stated.

I was in cabin 4161 on the Noordam, a quad. Just to be clear, the photo that is posted shows a double storage cabinet that is situated over the couch. The 4th bunk is over the bed as previously stated.

Thank you Twickenham for clarifying that photo!! I was told that was the bunk, so was only posting what I'd been told. Now I know and will not report that again!!:o:)

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

I will be on the ms Noordam in 2 weeks and have VF 5128 booked. I will take some photos and send them to you for your collection.

We won't be using the pull down bed, it's just me and DH. I can't wait to sleep on the comfortable beds that HAL is known for.:)

You have been very helpful to so many people!

THANKS,

Bobbie

We were on the Zuiderdam in VD4167. Im not sure if it's the same layout as the Oosterdam or not. We had sailed Carnival and Disney with balcony rooms and just assumed that the upper was always over the sofa. The upper over our bed was REALLY low. I couldn't handle it hanging over my head, so we had the steward make up the bed with our heads at the bottom. It was a little awkward during the day since they fold the top sheet down a little, but we just laid a blanket over the bottom of the bed so we weren't putting sitting or setting things where our head would be that night.

From my notes after the trip: "Our room was smaller than expected, but the balcony was nice. One thing I did not like was the placement of the fourth bed. It was over the king (2 twins) instead of over the sofa. That evening we found that the bed came down REALLY close over the king bed. We wound up switching to sleep with our feet under the upper instead of risking brain damage every night. During the day we covered the end of the bed with a blanket to keep it clean."

• 7 months later...
Fortunately the additional 2 passengers are our children so we have to like them!

I hope they're very young and don't bring much stuff.

A close friend & her husband took a standard balcony cabin for 4 w/ their teenage daughters a couple years back - They were ready to kill one another by the end of the cruise...

...this last time, they booked a pair of adjoining cabins but were offered an upgrade to an SA: Much happier family this time around!

Yikes, I just assumed the couch was a double bed on the Oosterdam. Guess I should stop assuming! We're in cabin 5003 in April with our two kids (almost 12 and almost 10). I really don't want one of them sleeping overhead (or feet), but we'll make the best of it. Either way, I'm just happy to be able to take a vacation and enjoy the ocean air.

Laurie

We were just in VD4163 on the Eurodam and the 4th bed is over the King bed. We got used to it. I have to say that this was the smallest balcony cabin and it was very tight for the 4 of us. Bring along 2 shoe bags..they help reduce clutter. Worst part for me was trying to get to balcony when sofa bed was open. It was near impossible and I had to go forgo my morning coffee on the balcony routine. We said never again...it's 2 cabins for us from now on.

We did 3 in a standard verandah cabin (not a suite) and we said never again!

You could rent a cabana which would give you more "living" space!

Have a great time no matter what. Be positive and focus on all the good, and just don't address the inconvenience. When you remember it, then all you will recall is being together, seeing really awesome places and being on a ship! Whether it is crowded or not, it will ultimately be what you make of it. :)

We are on the Veendam with 2 of our kids in June. Instead if sharing a room we booked two rooms and our son (he is 18) is bringing his best friends along and that helped with the cost. (3rd and 4th passenger were free) Unlike ourselves, our kids don't mind sharing small spaces :D. My husband and I get our own room and that makes for a much happier family.;)

Diane

Archived