Southeast Sea Kayaks combined Misty Fjords Seaplane & Orcas Cove Kayaking trip

Plummy

Hi

We couldn't decide whether to do a seaplane trip at Misty Fjords or go kayaking when we do our first Alaska cruise at the end of May next year. Then we found this company that do a combined trip that will enable us to do both and make the most of the time we have in Ketchikan (7am to 4pm). Anyone done this trip? Used this company? Offer any opinions/views?

Many thanks

Rachel

Southeast Kayak is a long standing well run company, I have used. They essentially are not running any flight, and are acting as a booking agent. It would depend what vender they use?? Do you know??

Not sure why these can't just be booked separately, or is this a shortened Misty Fiords flightseeing that is arranged??

Not sure why these can't just be booked separately, or is this a shortened Misty Fiords flightseeing that is arranged?

We booked this combo on our recent trip. I don't know if the flightseeing tour is shortened vs other trips, but the real benefit (for us) was that they were going to pick us up directly from Orca's cove after kayaking and lunch, rather than us having to ride the boat back to Ketchikan.

As it turns out, the flightseeing portion was cancelled due to foggy conditions. The pilot stopped by the boat at the conclusion of his previous tour to tell us that the weather had deteriorated to the point that we could not go out. While we were disappointed, we were glad that a responsible decision was made.

Southeast Sea Kayaks credited our card for the cost of the flightseeing trip before we got home.

The kayaking was wonderful. We were split into two groups of only six people each. We saw Sitka black-tailed deer, jellyfish, starfish, and most impressively, an eagle feeding a newly hatched (~2 weeks old) chick. Our guide said that he saw a wolf chasing a deer on a trip two weeks prior. Very professional outfit. Highly recommended, even if we missed the flying part.

We booked this combo on our recent trip. I don't know if the flightseeing tour is shortened vs other trips, but the real benefit (for us) was that they were going to pick us up directly from Orca's cove after kayaking and lunch, rather than us having to ride the boat back to Ketchikan.

As it turns out, the flightseeing portion was cancelled due to foggy conditions. The pilot stopped by the boat at the conclusion of his previous tour to tell us that the weather had deteriorated to the point that we could not go out. While we were disappointed, we were glad that a responsible decision was made.

Southeast Sea Kayaks credited our card for the cost of the flightseeing trip before we got home.

The kayaking was wonderful. We were split into two groups of only six people each. We saw Sitka black-tailed deer, jellyfish, starfish, and most impressively, an eagle feeding a newly hatched (~2 weeks old) chick. Our guide said that he saw a wolf chasing a deer on a trip two weeks prior. Very professional outfit. Highly recommended, even if we missed the flying part.

Who was the flight vendor??

This certainly is a time saving combo, that would work well for many, with the direct pick up. I am assuming you leave, direct, on the flight from Orca Cove?

This certainly is a time saving combo, that would work well for many, with the direct pick up. I am assuming you leave, direct, on the flight from Orca Cove?

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know who the vendor was. I assumed that since Southeast Sea Kayaks was a local outfit, they used someone who was reliable, but I didn't inquire. (The pilot's name was Alan, but I doubt that helps.:))

Your assumption is correct. Everyone else on the trip (who wasn't flying) left the gear they didn't need back at the shop, while we took ours with us to the boat. Had the flight occurred, we would have been picked up at Orca's cove, done the flightseeing, and returned directly from the Ketchikan Airport to the cruise dock -- we would not have returned to the kayak shop.

Southeast Kayak is a long standing well run company, I have used. They essentially are not running any flight, and are acting as a booking agent. It would depend what vender they use?? Do you know??

Not sure why these can't just be booked separately, or is this a shortened Misty Fiords flightseeing that is arranged??

The dilema for us was we didn't have time to do the 2 trips separately, which is why this trip is so attractive. It allows you to do the kayaaking and the seaplane tour without having to go all the way back to the port (on a bigger boat). I have no idea who the vendor is but good to know that they are a long standing well run company.

Recker: thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear that you didn't get to do the seaplane trip. My husband is a keen kayaaker so he was pleased to hear that the kayaaking was good - looks as if we have chosen well!

Hello all. Thanks for helping with our planning, BQ, and all.

I booked this combo trip through Lesley and SeaWind. Southeast picked us up at 10:45 from the cruise dock, whisked us out to Orca's Cove by boat with great commentary; hooked us up with our kayaks and we paddled along some beautiful shorelines with an excellent guide in a small group of six paddlers. Jellyfish, anemone, strange seaweed, eagle nest with BIG chick, and good weather!! Steve then picked us up from the boat at the cove after our snack and flew us over Misty. DH really enjoyed flying over where we had just been paddling. Steve and him chatted away up front and I kept rubbing nose prints off the windows.

Another group did the combo just before us (10 min)and I believe their flight was with Carlin Air(Brown/white striped plane). I'm guessing that's your pilot if you book through Southeast, but not sure. It was great to watch two landings and a take off before we boarded. We both landed on a small dock in one of the inlet/lakes where it was beautiful and quiet. There were some seals?sealions swimming around eyeing us.

This worked well since we were really on a short day (10-6) and wouldn't have had enough time to come back into town to connect with a second trip.

SeaWind dropped us at Creek Street, which gave us time to quickly zip through, grab our birch syrup, see the salmon statue and real ones milling about, look at but not ride the funicular, stop at the candy store, get a picture of the arch and hustle back down to Dock 4 with time to spare.

Jam packed day, but overall very, very relaxing.:D

• 1 month later...
We are booked on this combo in August...Will let you know when we get back how it was..I can't imagine it not being good , lots of good reviews on here for the company. I'm so excited..one more month to go !

Hi Dannysgirl, how was the combo trip? Hope you had a fabulous cruise :)

Hi Plummy..I am still having a hard time believing our trip is over already. Kinda depressing after all the planning and counting the days..I can tell you it was everything I hoped for and then some .I feel in love with Alaska. The combo kayaking and float plane was wonderful. we had never been kayaking before but absolutely loved it..our guide was wonderful.there was 6 of us all together my 4 and another couple. the cove is so beautiful and peaceful. Kayaked for about 2 .5 hours, got back in the mother boat and had a snack ..smoked salmon and crackers it was wonderful.Then we got picked up literally off the mother boat onto the float plane..Misty Fjords was spectacular ..it was drizzling off and on but just added to the whole "misty " part of it. We landed on a dock in the middle of a lake..talk about quiet..i have no other tours to compare it too but I would most certainly recommend it and would do it again...

Hi Plummy..I am still having a hard time believing our trip is over already. Kinda depressing after all the planning and counting the days..I can tell you it was everything I hoped for and then some .I feel in love with Alaska. The combo kayaking and float plane was wonderful. we had never been kayaking before but absolutely loved it..our guide was wonderful.there was 6 of us all together my 4 and another couple. the cove is so beautiful and peaceful. Kayaked for about 2 .5 hours, got back in the mother boat and had a snack ..smoked salmon and crackers it was wonderful.Then we got picked up literally off the mother boat onto the float plane..Misty Fjords was spectacular ..it was drizzling off and on but just added to the whole "misty " part of it. We landed on a dock in the middle of a lake..talk about quiet..i have no other tours to compare it too but I would most certainly recommend it and would do it again...

How long were you on the dock in the middle of the lake for?

Archived