Buying pharmaceuticals in port

shellybell42

Don't mean to hijack but as a long time asthma sufferer I felt compelled to ask: where in Mexico have you bought the Albuterol, and how much was it? If you want, you can email me at patto_24 hotmail dot com.

Thank you so much!

We have paid anywhere from $6 to $10 for Albuterol inhalers in Cozumel - more in Carnival's port area and less at Coz Mart which is downtown on the strip near where the cruise ships dock (they also have good prices on liquor and souvenirs). You can get great prices further back from the strip, but to me it's easier to just hit Coz Mart and get what we need. We've also gotten them for $6 or $7 in Belize at the pharmacy in the shopping complex you tender to.

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ImportProgram/ucm173751.htm

Take a look at the link above.

Self prescribed antibiotics lead to resistant bacteria that today's therapies struggle to treat. I see it daily.

Counterfeit prescription drugs are a significant problem and what recourse would you have?

Think a little here...

So can someone tell me if I can buy this drugs that I have prescriptions for:

Flexiril (very bad back issues)

Viccodine or it's generic (also for bad back issues)

Percocet (back)

Immitrex (severe migraines)

I don't understand how this would work, would I bring my prescription bottles with them to show the pharmacist that I do have RX for them or how does it work.

The Immitrex alone can cost me up to $200+ when I don't use the generic.

Thanks in advance for the info.

So can someone tell me if I can buy this drugs that I have prescriptions for:

Flexiril (very bad back issues)

Viccodine or it's generic (also for bad back issues)

Percocet (back)

Immitrex (severe migraines)

I don't understand how this would work, would I bring my prescription bottles with them to show the pharmacist that I do have RX for them or how does it work.

The Immitrex alone can cost me up to $200+ when I don't use the generic.

Thanks in advance for the info.

I picked up Flexeral a bottle of 100 for $25. As far as I know you won't be able to get the Viccodine or Perc's without a script since they are a narcotic. I'm pretty sure you would be able to get the Immitrex also. My advice is to make sure the expiration dates are far enough away. It's mainly generic drugs that I saw in the pharmacy there.

I bought a couple of bottles of Flexeril about 2 years ago in Play Del Carmen. They expire next month and work the same way my prescribed ones do. We are military, so I get my meds at no charge. I do have a chronic condition where I have a muscle in my neck that seizes once or twice a year. The script is always flexeril and vicodin. I take it for 2 days and I'm as good as new. I bought these simply so I won't have to attempt to drive in to see the doctor (with my passel of children). Do you have any clue how difficult - or how dangerous - it is to drive when you can't turn your head :eek:

Seriously? It's not the 1860's people. Mexico has an FDA equivalent, much like Canada and India do. It's not the Wild, Wild West. Mexican pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies don't stay in business by providing their clientele with false products. Not only that, but the patents that pass the FDA in the US are then sold all over the world -- often cheaper because they aren't paying for the R&D done in the States.

And are you aware that in most of the rest of the world you can legally get ahold of antibiotics without a prescription? Imagine that, not having to go pay a co-pay and then another co-pay when you know you're coming down with Strep Throat. The culture of fear that US Medical and Pharmaceutical Industries has built up is just astounding.

Where did you get your medical degree?

They do not need a medical degree to treat themselves.

My mistake, I just assumed someone with so much knowledge about the medical field and antibiotics would have some degree of formal training. Afterall, with skyrocketing numbers in the cases of MRSA and VRE it seems odd that anyone would be advocating for self treatment with antibiotics (as she indicated in the Strep Throat comment).

I think it is only the antibiotics that Mexico is going to require a scrip for soon....because of too many people becoming resistant ect. i think there will still be a doc near by that you can go to to get a scrip..is what I read in the news a few days ago.

too many people are not becoming resistant to antibiotics because they are buying them while in mexico. too many people are becoming resistant because they are not finishing the full course of antibiotics that the doctors prescribe. whether americans or mexicans or canadians same problem everywhere. people take abx for a few days and feel better then stop treatment before the full course that the doctor prescribed.

too many people are not becoming resistant to antibiotics because they are buying them while in mexico. too many people are becoming resistant because they are not finishing the full course of antibiotics that the doctors prescribe. whether americans or mexicans or canadians same problem everywhere. people take abx for a few days and feel better then stop treatment before the full course that the doctor prescribed.

Yep. My husband always has to take 2 rounds because 1 never eradicates whatever infection he gets. His mother is the first one to say, when I have a cold, "Oh, you need some abx for that!" I have a feeling she pumped that child full of them when he was growing up. That's how she is though; you get sick - no matter the illness - you need abx stat! He's paying the price for it now. He actually got a blood infection a few years ago (I, of course, thought he was faking and likely got angry with him for "having no immune system" :rolleyes: ) that nearly sent him into isolation at the hospital. They tried Cipro first, but were ready to admit him if that didn't work. Cipro can get rid of anthrax and my husband's lack of an immune system LOL Long story short, I make absolute sure my kids need an abx before we go to the doc and request one. I let most things run their course. If it doesn't though then off to the doctor we head. Thankfully my kids are very rarely sick, so we don't get many abx here.

My mistake, I just assumed someone with so much knowledge about the medical field and antibiotics would have some degree of formal training. Afterall, with skyrocketing numbers in the cases of MRSA and VRE it seems odd that anyone would be advocating for self treatment with antibiotics (as she indicated in the Strep Throat comment).

Do you know where most of those skyrocketing cases are coming from? People who go to their doctor/clinic, receive their prescription and get it filled, and then do not take them correctly.

They take a couple, then start feeling better, so they lose the rest, sell the rest, give the rest away to their friends, (after all, they are miracle pills), or save them for the next time they feel bad.

I am in the medical profession and I do not have a problem with people medicating themselves as long as they have used the internet (or other reference) to research the symptoms and the correct doses and takes it properly. I know a lot who picks up some meds in Mexico don't, but they are also probably the same ones who do not take what the health care worker prescribes correctly either.

As for the chance of getting counterfit, the chance exist, just ask the people who get their drugs from the NHS (Britain's socialized medicine setup). http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jan/04/fake-pharmaceuticals-drugs-china-nhs It happens in the US too, but I could not find a quick link right now. And it is not only meds that are being counterfitted. The lancets people use to poke their fingers with to check their bloodsugar are being counterfitted that I know of for sure because we got a notice to be on the look out for them. Therefore my suggestion is if you are going to buy in Mexico, etc., stick to the pharmacies right there in port. They do not want a bad name and therefore probably check the meds they buy a little closer than mom and pop at some little shop on a side street where the locals all go. Then find the correct dose and take it as you should. If you do not improve, see your healthcare professional and tell them what you have been taking. We do not care, but it helps if we know what did not work. All we want is for you to feel better.

So how do you know you are getting the correct antibiotic for the strain of infection you have? Not all antibiotics work on all strains of bacteria. And many doctors do not want you using the same antibiotic over and over again as it may become less effective in YOUR body or cause you to develop an allergy to it. It gets scary when you start become allergic to multiple antibiotics - there's not much left to treat you with if you really need it.

It's not worth it to me to buy in Mexico but I'm lucky to not be on anything expensive. I realize there are plenty of legitimate pharmacies in Mexico, but there's also plenty of corruption and counterfeiting going on. It's not worth my health to take that chance to save a few bucks.

One does not need a medical degree to have knowledge. One does not need any sort of degree to have knowledge, and the snobbery of that statement is just astounding. Repeated illnesses, the Physician's Desk Reference, and the internet as well as a good dose of common sense are rather helpful, I find. As the other poster has pointed out, a decent pharmacist can diagnose 90% of what a doctor can, and in Mexico they can actually sell you what you need instead of just apologizing and sending you off to a physician for a piece of paper. In fact, for many, many decades people relied on their pharmacists and not their doctors. And by the way, there is a world of difference between MRSA and Strep.

So how do you know you are getting the correct antibiotic for the strain of infection you have?

Simple. Ask the pharmacist. Or, if you constantly get strep and know that a particular kind works for you, buy that. If there is no pharmacist there, find a pharmacy that has one on duty.

How does the pharmacist know what kind of infection you have? He just takes your word for it...I have a xyz infection ? fix me up? maybe you go to the doc nearby?

How does a doctor know what kind of infection you have? You tell them your symptoms, of course. The pharmacist does the same thing. They know that you give antibiotic A for an ear infection and antibiotic B for a strep throat and antibiotic C for a skin infection. Most doctors write scripts before they have any test results anyway. Heck, some states are considering allowing pharmacists to prescribe antibiotics because so few people have access to a doctor but anyone can walk up to a pharmacist's window and ask a question.

The problem with "go to the doc nearby" is that sometimes, the doc can't see you, won't see you, you can't afford it, or there simply isn't a doc nearby.

I'm really surprised by this conversation. You guys do know that pharmacists do more than just count pills, right? That they actually know how to compound medicines and can offer suggestions of both holistic and medical treatments? They're a great resource.

One does not need a medical degree to have knowledge. One does not need any sort of degree to have knowledge, and the snobbery of that statement is just astounding. Repeated illnesses, the Physician's Desk Reference, and the internet as well as a good dose of common sense are rather helpful, I find. As the other poster has pointed out, a decent pharmacist can diagnose 90% of what a doctor can, and in Mexico they can actually sell you what you need instead of just apologizing and sending you off to a physician for a piece of paper. In fact, for many, many decades people relied on their pharmacists and not their doctors. And by the way, there is a world of difference between MRSA and Strep.

Well I am going to chew my daughter out..she could have just become a pharmacist instead of a doctor and saved me a ton of money and her a ton of time.

Well I am going to chew my daughter out..she could have just become a pharmacist instead of a doctor and saved me a ton of money and her a ton of time.

Pharmacy school's not cheap either, plus your daughter can actually prescribe medicines in the US and continue to treat people, not just make suggestions. ;)

The move to purchase RX drugs outside of the country will continue. I read a Consumers Reports article last year that compared the price of RX drugs around the world. Americans are getting ripped off big time. It is You just have to buy them from a reputable source. There is a grey market in most everything...drugs are no different.

Two years ago, I purchased 120 Amoxicillin pills for $25.00 at the pharmacia right off the pier in Cozumel. I have chronic sinusitis/sinus infections and it came in very handy. No side effects, no problems at all.

A friend of mine cruises all the time and she purchases all of her fluid (high blood pressure) pills there. She has been doing this for years.

I always buy Amoxocillin and Retin A when we cruise. Much larger sizes, stronger dosages, and cheaper prices. Never had a problem in over 10 years of doing this.

Wrong. This is only part of the problem.

More significant than this is the overuse of antibiotics. Self diagnosis of infections, far too easy access to antibiotics, and doctors too willing to write the prescription are to blame.

I'm quoting Wikipedia because it's easy, but this mirrors the information provided in a class I had to take recently to keep my RN license. Lots of research based information, all from credible sources.

"The primary cause of antibiotic resistance is antibiotic use both within medicine and veterinary medicine. The greater the duration of exposure the greater the risk of the development of resistance irrespective of the severity of the need for antibiotics."

"The volume of antibiotic prescribed is the major factor in increasing rates of bacterial resistance rather than compliance with antibiotics.[11] A single dose of antibiotics leads to a greater risk of resistant organisms to that antibiotic in the person for up to a year.[12]'\"

Do some research, take some classes, and you will find that antibiotic resistance is becoming a scary problem and we are globally complicit. We are going to find ourselves in a crisis as a result of antibiotic overuse and abuse. In our hospital, we are struggling to explain to our patients why illnesses which used to be cured easily with antibiotics are now resulting in prolonged illness and death. The microbes are becoming resistant.

Archived