Alaska Airline plane question...

dsstasz

Just looking for some information about the airline. We're flying out of Chicago on Alaska Airline in a few weeks. Wondering how the food is onboard. Should we buy something in the airport for the trip? Has anyone rented the handheld movie thing?

My husband, being the inquisitve one, read reviews on the airlines which not very favorable. Thought I'd get some opinions from here.

Thanks

I think the food is good for airline food. Unless you’re flying in first it may be cheaper, and better, to buy something before boarding. Just keep it to the non-smelly stuff or you’ll be either the most popular person or most hated onboard.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/help/faqs/MealService-coach.aspx

We always get a digEplayer. There is also internet service available on most of their planes now as well.

https://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Flights/digEplayer.asp

Remember Alaska is one of the few airlines that will let you buy an upgrade to first class the day of travel when you checkin (be early). We upgraded on our return flight from Anchorage to LAX for $100pp it was worth it...;)

Actually, Alaska sells food onboard that is pretty good on the longer trips to and from Anchorage. You can read more at http://www.alaskaair.com at the "day of flight" area. I've had an Asian wrap, a turkey cibbata sandwich, and a cheeseburger. They recently added a new cheese and veggie plate. Meals are $6-7 and they take credit cards only.

They also offer snack packs for between $3-6. The digiplayers go for $12.00 in coach.

re: the digi-player- if you think you will want one - or two- you can pay, reserve on line- Often they run out by the time they get to the back of the plane. Also, we normally carry a "splitter"- and share one, if you think you will enjoy the same movies.

"The Alaska Airlines fleet of 102 Boeing jets is one of the youngest among all major airlines, and its reputation for outstanding service consistently earns best U.S. airline recognition from the likes of Travel Plus, Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler magazines." So says: University of Phoenix, "Career Building"

We flew from Chicago to Anchorage on July 16th. The meal cost 6.00 and we ended up wishing we had waited and bought one of their meals. Instead we paid 22.00 for 2 sandwiches at the airport.

Our neighbors were satisfied with the cheeseburgers and they looked okay. We purchased food in Chicago's airport prior to the flight. The problem for us was we were there until 9:30 am and only one place was serving a lunch remotely close to our terminal. So we did not have the choices we hoped for. We took a collapsable cooler and put ice in a zip lock to keep our drinks and then a 2nd cooler for the warm food. They have already come in handy to take our food on an all day flightsee. The food in the airport cost us almost the exact same as the airline so price would not be a determining factor to me, just food preferences.

On the digiplayers I watched 2.5 comedies on our flight. I do recommend bringing your own ear buds. My spouse bought some ($2.00) and they were poor quality compared to mine. The movie selections were about 12 and I looked online what they were before we got on board. It really helped pass the time and I would do it again.

Fly Alaska alot and totally recommend the Digiplayers. They are currently upgrading them and the new ones even have games on them that you can play too. As someone said you may want to prereserve because they sometimes do run out.

Also remember that Alaska Airlines inflight is all noncash. So you'll have to have a debt or credit card to buy anything onboard.

Another thing when I was coming back from Iowa on the Chicago flight 1st of the month, the onboard internet was free and it really worked. But with that being said it stops working once you leave Lower 48 air space so I'd say we only had maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours of time that it would connect because by them we were over Canada.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Another thing when I was coming back from Iowa on the Chicago flight 1st of the month, the onboard internet was free and it really worked. But with that being said it stops working once you leave Lower 48 air space so I'd say we only had maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours of time that it would connect because by them we were over Canada.

Yes - did the Chicago to Anchorage flight on 7/3, and was impressed by the free internet. Unfortunately, it's only free until 7/31 according to the seat pocket card. I didn't ask what it was going to cost after that.

And I agree - I wished I had gone for the digiplayer. I had previously looked online and was relatively unimpressed by the movie selection, so I didn't get one. On a 7+ hour flight, I would have watched something... ANYTHING!...

Yes - did the Chicago to Anchorage flight on 7/3, and was impressed by the free internet. Unfortunately, it's only free until 7/31 according to the seat pocket card. I didn't ask what it was going to cost after that.

And I agree - I wished I had gone for the digiplayer. I had previously looked online and was relatively unimpressed by the movie selection, so I didn't get one. On a 7+ hour flight, I would have watched something... ANYTHING!...

You're right, just to pass the time as those long nonstops are long. So let's see I've watched the videos on Hawaii, the videos on Alaska and even some TV programs (like Bones) that I had seen at home a couple of times and even a dumb movie or too, just to get through the flight!

Susan :)

Archived