Emerald Princess

I was reading a report regarding Emerald Princess and thought I would share in case anyone was interested.

Apparently on 26 July, Emerald Princess lost all power soon after leaving Fort Lauderdale.

She was reported to have been drifting with no propulsion, power/ air conditioning and only emergency lighting for more than 4 hours before partial power was restored. :eek: It was reportedly extremely hot and stuffy on board and obviously very limited service could be offered during this time. A computer problem was blamed for the incident. I don't know how their itinerary will be affected.

I wonder if this is the same kind of problem which Dawn Princess had recently on her world cruise which caused her to miss Safaga, Egypt.

Jenny

I was reading a report regarding Emerald Princess and thought I would share in case anyone was interested.

Apparently on 26 July, Emerald Princess lost all power soon after leaving Fort Lauderdale.

She was reported to have been drifting with no propulsion, power/ air conditioning and only emergency lighting for more than 4 hours before partial power was restored. :eek: It was reportedly extremely hot and stuffy on board and obviously very limited service could be offered during this time. A computer problem was blamed for the incident. I don't know how their itinerary will be affected.

I wonder if this is the same kind of problem which Dawn Princess had recently on her world cruise which caused her to miss Safaga, Egypt.

Jenny

Hi Jenny, thanks for posting that news. I hope they don't miss ports. It seems ALL ships from ALL cruiselines have their engine/propulsion/airconditioning etc problems at times. Well, when they are operated 24/7, what can you expect? As for computers - they create chaos when they malfunction, but I don't think we can do without them any more...:rolleyes: I can't for one! :cool:

In one way sailing was simpler in the 'olden days' like this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/29/2967556.htm

At least the crew were saved.

I think most of us are following the World Cruise thread, aren't we?...and know where to find it? (I'm finding it hard to find the time to read all the blogs.)

Archived