How does this work? Kohunlich and Dzibanche Mayan Ruins

Gramsof7

RCCL arrives in Costa Maya at 10 a.m., and departs at 6 p.m. That's 8 hours, the way I figure it. Yet they offer the Kohunlich and Dzibanche Mayan Ruins as one of their tours. That tour lasts 8 hours. That's the tour we would like to do, but not through the ship. RCCL's excursion offices were closed when I tried to call, so will do that again tomorrow. In the meantime, has anyone done this tour with either the RCCL or with an independent?

Thanks.

When we were on RCCL's Grandeur in Dec, we went on back to bak cruises - the first week we were in Costa Maya for 8 hours, the second week only 6 hours. On the first week they offered the Kohunlich tour, on the second week they didn't. But it wasn't listed as 8 hours - it was listed as 7 hours.

You mentioned independent - try the following website and take a look at Ivan's tour - it's only 6 hours for Kohunlich which will fit into your schedule - you can check out the timing for your particular ship if it is there in Feb or Mar on the same page, or email Ivan if it's outside of Feb or March.

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/wst_page8.html

They were not up and running when we were there in Dec., they started in Jan and it looks like they do a fabulous tour!

No, sorry I don't know of anyone else, maybe Beach Boy does? (Beach Boy are you out there???)

Or maybe try one of the other tours that Ivan offers - he offers four - the Mayan Reality, Chacchoben, Dzibanche and Kohunlich. If nothing else do go to one of the ruins, they are really neat. We went to Chacchoben and plan to go back three more times to do the others! I hear Dzibanche is a really good ruin too.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know of this will be helpful to you, but we were there last week on the Grand Princess and did the Dzibanche and Kohunlich tour thru the cruise line. It was a long tour - we were the first excursion group off the boat and the last one returning. So I would be afraid to do this tour through and independant tour company. There were 3 buses from the Grand that did this tour and we were actually late leaving the port waiting for the last bus to come back.

That being said, we thought it was an awesome excursion. Both sites were amazing to us. And altho the bus ride is long, it was very interesting to get to se the Mexican countryside and little villages etc.

Note: bring hand sanitizer that doesn't require water, and also a little thing of toilet paper or 'personal' wipes as one of the restroom breaks we went to did not have running water and was out of TP. Best to be prepared! :)

We are booked with Ivan on the Chacchoben tour, hoping for an opening on the Mayan Experience with him. We can probably change up to the Dzibanche or Kohunlich tours with Ivan, as I believe he separates them so the tour isn't so long.

Thanks everyone!

Archived