Inspiration or Triumph?

lemondog

Hubby and I are looking at a 5-day western caribbean in Jan. 2011. Costwise (both cruise and flight) leaving on the Inspiration from Tampa or the Triumph from New Orleans are basically the same price. So now comes the choice...which cruise should we book??

Inspiration goes to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Triumph to Progreso and Cozumel

Some of the member reviews of the Triumph are concerning me, particularly the many reviews of extremely long dining lines and very smoky ship. However CC rates the Triumph as better than the Inspiration.

I am such a non-decisive person!!! Someone help me make a choice either way. Thanks!!

The real question is....Which ports would you rather do?

I personally like the smaller ships but have cruised on most of the different classes of Carnival. Also as was asked...Are you getting to the port a day ahead of time? Even though I live in Tampa if I were flying in the day before I'd have to go with NOLA.....Love that city.

I think it's really what you are looking for. If you want to go to the ruins, then book Progresso. If you just want shopping and/or beach then book Grand Cayman. We did Grand Cayman years ago on our first cruise and loved it. We shopped and did a snorkel tour.

Also, the ships are very different. Triumph is larger and has more things such as the large screen. Of course, the Inspiration has the Serenity Deck. Triumph also has more balcony rooms to select from.

All depends on what you are looking for. If everything is equal, go with the lowest price.

Have fun choosing!!!

i would most certainly pick the Triumph. One because it is a bigger and newer ship, and two because of the itinerary. I've been on her a couple of times, and enjoyed it each time.

Whichever you choose, have a wonderful cruise. Happy sailing

Triumph is larger, and slightly newer. Triumph has regular balcony cabins and Inspiration only has balconies in suite cabins.

Inspiration has waterworks.

Inspiration, while smaller, is my favorite Carnival ship out of 4 that we've sailed. Tampa is also a fantastic port.

You really can't go wrong either way. Honestly it might come down to whether it's easier and cheaper for you to get to New Orleans or Tampa.

I have been to all the ports you listed. Grand Cayman is MUCH better than Progresso. The beach in Grand Cayman is aqua blue and in Progresso it is grey.

The shopping in Grand Cayman is a little better quality (more pricey), Progresso its like a flea market and junk. Everything we bought and thought was nicely made in Progresso, broke right away.

Just my opinion. I am sure, others will try to prove me wrong. However, I am not here to judge their opinions, just give you mine. :D

Thanks so much everyone for your input! We decided to go with the Triumph. We love NOLA so much, and if we arrive early the day before our cruise we'll have that evening to spend having some fun in the FQ. Plus I think it will be really cool to sail down the Mississippi...read on here it takes about 8 hours to reach the gulf...who would have thought???

Although I would love to do Grand Cayman I am actually looking forward to Progreso. Small and sleepy...my kind of town. Plus I won't spend as much $$ there as I would in the Caymans I am sure! We plan on strolling down the public beach in Progreso for a drink or two, a little shopping then heading back to spend the day on the ship. I am ALL about the quiet times! Would like to do a ruins tour one day but we're on a tight budget this trip.

Besides...this just gives me a good reason to take another cruise...to hit Grand Cayman! Never been on a cruise before but I think I am going to like it. :D

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Archived