If your first cruise was in Carnival Glory...

yellowsnow

My first cruise was in Carnival glory, and I am wondering how people "cruise progression" went after that. I feel like my first cruise is a little bit of the standards by which I will be judging cruises I take.

I will go first. After Carnival I went on the Celebrity Century and missed the water slide (I only used it about twice because of the line, though) and felt the food was better in Carnival. Missed the towel animals in Celebrity but enjoyed the drink package, although I didn't get my "money's worth" it was nice to know they were pre-paid.

What has your experience been?

My first cruises were back in the dark ages when the bathroom was down the hall. 27 years later, I cruised on royal Princess and that sort of set my standard. Then cruised Carnival and was disappointed. Celebrity, Princess again, and then Carnival after 7 years...very impressed with the improvement. Have added Cunard and HAL, and back to Princess after 8 years. HAL and Carnival are my favorites, but I cruise what I can afford. There are other lines I would sail if I could afford them. EM

My husband and I went to Alaska on Holland America in June, 2008, then to the Panama Canal in January, 2010 with them. Since I don't fly, I was so excited when Carnival started sailing out of Charleston, SC, a three hour drive from my home. My girlfriend and I took the six day cruise to Nassau, Freeport and Key West. WOW -- What a difference! I was not prepared for the crowds of people walking around with buckets of beer (down the halls, far from the pool) and going to the casual buffet only to be surrounded by people with NO cover-ups over their swim trunks, "too small" bathing suits, and bare feet. The food was a HUGE step down from HAL -- and the seasick meds that were free on HAL were $3.00 or so at the Guest Services desk on Carnival. A woman came up and asked for a band-aid and was told where to find them FOR SALE in the gift shop! I asked for warm milk for room service breakfast and was told that I couldn't get it warm because "we buy it cold and if we heat it up to send to your room, it might curdle" (?). I wrote a review to Carnival and asked for a reply but have yet to receive one (two months later). Have no reason to go back to Carnival.

Our first four cruises have been Carnival, and I would happily sail them again. We have a Disney and a RCI cruise booked, but those choices were made more for itinerary - we don't have any issues with Carnival, but will happily try other lines if the itineraries and schedules allow.

We loved the Glory!

My first cruise was on Glory, second on Legend, 3rd on Norwegian Dawn and another booked on Dawn to Bermuda. I woud go back to Carnival ~my favorite~in a heartbeat. DH prefers Norwegian. I like them both for diff reasons

My first cruise was on Princess, and then we took a short 3 day cruise on Carnival, which we really didn't like -- loud, noisy, raucous behavior on the part of many passengers, the garish decor of the Carnival ship overall..

when we got back and I posted here, I was told that 3-day cruises aren't "usual", and I should try Carnival again. So we did, this time a 10 day Alaska cruise.

I'll never cruise Carnival again. We've cruised Princess, NCL and Hurtigruten, and are planning another Hurtigruten cruise next year. I'd go back to Princess or NCL again, depending on itinerary. Nice (but very different) experiences on the two "main-stream" lines, and quite different on Hurtigruten, which is our current favorite.

Archived