Noordam v. Zuiderdam

About to book our annual cruise and we're comparing December sailings of the Noordam (southern to Barbados) and the Zuiderdam (in and out of the Panama Canal) ... very torn.

Anybody have experiences on both ships or both itineraries that can offer us some insight?

Thanks so much!

We really liked the Zuiderdam on a recent Alaska cruise, but look forward to eventually sailing the Noordam because she looks like HAL got everything right. Plus I do believe she retained the far superior location of the Explorations Cafe and Library on the lower deck and not sharing it with the CrowsNest. We did not like the Pinnacle on the Zuiderdam.

I'd pick the Noordam. (Sight unseen)

We've been on the Noordam three times and would happily go back on her again tomorrow. Once on the Zuiderdam was enough. It's hard to put my finger on any precise reasons for it, but the Z just didn't "feel right" to me.

We have sailed on both ships and have done both of those itineraries.

We really like the Noordam over the Zuiderdam. For starters -- the Crow's Nest on the Noordam is shared with anything!! The Explorations Cafe / Internet / Library are all on the Promenade Deck.

Also I like the Southern Caribbean itinerary better.

Guess we are spoiled -- we have done several full transit cruises which we loved better than the partials. But if you have never seen the Panama Canal -- just doing the first locks is very interesting.

About to book our annual cruise and we're comparing December sailings of the Noordam (southern to Barbados) and the Zuiderdam (in and out of the Panama Canal) ... very torn.

Our first (only) cruise was on Zuiderdam and we loved it! We chose our next one for the itinerary (Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal in November) and the timing. Never been to the canal. So, I guess it's a matter of you wanting to see the canal or not.

In the future, we hope to sail on other ships but will choose first by the itinerary and dates we need.

The Noordam itinerary looks awesome! It just may be our "future cruise" booking this time:)

Happy choosing!

There is a Noordam cruise in the Mediterranean that stops in Tunisia that has our name on it. I know there will be a Noordam in our future too. So sorry HAL messed up the location of their very popular Explorations Cafe on the other Vista ships.

You got me thinking and I think what you (and we) might have felt that was just "wrong" on the Zuiderdam was this Explorations Cafe space was now converted to too much shopping and commercial space. So now you have to run a gauntlet of commercial activities between the main dining room and the show lounge.

The other ships have a promenade that goes graciously from the dining room past the lovely lounges including the Explorations Cafe/Library. One recent "improvement" that has taken away some of the old lovely atmosphere of HAL ships being their for passenger comforts, not just money making extra enterprises. I wonder if these changes paid off in increased sales because there are no bargains and nothing of any interest for us to even look at, let alone purchase.

Fingers crossed they won't do this to the Noordam before we get a chance to sail her next year.

We have sailed Zuidy 11 times (the last two were the partial canal) and Noordam once. We will most likely book the Noordam SouthCarib in November. Being twins, the ships are essentially the same, except for the previously mentioned relocation of the Library, etc. to the Crow's Nest on Zuidy. The decor on the Noordam is a little more subdued, but the service, which, to us, is the most important, is outstanding on both ships.

Whichever we book, we will be in heaven.

We've been on the Zuiderdam twice and the Noordam twice and we would certainly prefer the Noordam if itineraries and price were equal (or close to).

As previously mentioned by other posters, the Crows Nest stands alone on the Noordam. We too love the Explorations Cafe/Library on the Noordam (large space on the Promenade Deck). On the Zuiderdam it is squeezed into the Crows Nest.

They're both Vista ships but aside from the aforementioned, there is something about the Noordam, maybe the decor or other layout nuances, that seemed preferable to us.

That said, we wouldn't hesitate to jump back on the Zuiderdam when factoring itinerary, price, date, etc. We've had nothing but great cruises on both ships.

we have sailed on both ships as well and enjoyed them. Crew and service were great.

The one resounding theme of location of exploration cafe is indeed an irritant we discovered first time we were on Zuidy ... too bad as it matches up with Noordam everywhere else ... except the tacky paintings they added last drydock in Pinnacle.

IMHO, these are minor issues ... thus, I would choose the itinerary that max's out the pleasure meter ...

harry

Archived