Shuttles To Town/Taoromina?

jgrahamiii

Heading on a Med cruise on the Cloud in October. I'm somewhat confused about getting from the ports to the towns when we don't have a tour scheduled. I've read that SS has shuttles available at some ports when local rules allow, but it seems when I read about each port on the SS website, all it says is "taxis available at port" (other than Santorini where I understand the option is more like funicular or donkey).

Some posts have talked about shuttle service provided by SS in Taoromina. And one of the tour descriptions on the SS websites states that you after the tour, you can "take your coach back shop more and take the shuttle back".

Is there a shuttle at Taoromina? How does one anticipate where there will be a shuttle and where other arrangments should be made?

Thanks. -John

Heading on a Med cruise on the Cloud in October. I'm somewhat confused about getting from the ports to the towns when we don't have a tour scheduled. I've read that SS has shuttles available at some ports when local rules allow, but it seems when I read about each port on the SS website, all it says is "taxis available at port" (other than Santorini where I understand the option is more like funicular or donkey).

Some posts have talked about shuttle service provided by SS in Taoromina. And one of the tour descriptions on the SS websites states that you after the tour, you can "take your coach back shop more and take the shuttle back".

Is there a shuttle at Taoromina? How does one anticipate where there will be a shuttle and where other arrangments should be made?

Thanks. -John

On our previous visits to Taoromina we have taken the shuttle to a very interesting and vibrant town.

If the shuttle drops you at the parking structure, there is a pleasant (half-mile?) walk through attractive mainly-pedestrianised shopping streets, leading to a much less attractive, but shorter, touristy street that takes you to the spectacular Roman theatre. If you've never been, it's worth the few Euros' admission fee. An alternative drop-off point (and this might be where a tour bus would drop you to make your own way back) is at the junction of the attractive and unattractive streets.

Thanks to all for the info. I wonder why SS does not mention the shuttle on their website? Maybe in case for some reason it is not running that cruise? I wonder how many of the other ports there are shuttles. I guess we'll find out when we get there! Since we probably won't prebook anything, it should workout fine either way. -John

I don't think SS makes much mention of the shuttles. In general, if there's a significant walk into town, there will be a shuttle. Often this will run hourly each way, sometimes with a lunch break. But they don't guarantee it. In at least one recent port (Heraklion??), the local taxi union has managed to get shuttle buses banned from the port area.

Anyway, the SS approach is a striking contrast to some of the larger ships, where we have come across long, long lines of people waiting for a shuttle bus for a return journey to their behemoth, er, home-from-home. And they paid for their bus tickets!

Archived