Questions about Labor Day 2011 in Monaco

polySeraph

Our cruise ship arrives in Monte Carlo on Sunday, May 1, 2011. I've heard that May 1st is a holiday (Labor Day) in much of Europe. DH and I had wanted to take a bus (or possibly a train) down the coast for some do-it-yourself sightseeing. What effect will the holiday have on the bus/train schedule? Will the museums and shops be closed? Are we better off just throwing in the towel and taking a ship's tour?

The issue is not a tour, but what tour or option. The combination of May 1 and a Sunday is a not a good thing. Just about everything will be closed (this is pretty normal for even Sundays). As to museums, you might want to check individual web sites for specific info. On a normal Sunday we generally recommend folks going to St Paul de Vence and/or Eze since both of those villages do much of their business on Sundays and just about everything is open. However, since it is May 1 we are not sure of the impact. That is a huge 3 day holiday weekend throughout Europe. My best guess would be that St Paul de Vence would be the place to go, but again, we are not sure because of the May 1 holiday. You might want to google their tourist office and send them an e-mail. Assuming that village (one of our favorite places in the south of France) is open your next problem would be how to get to the village. With trains and buses on a holiday schedule this might be a problem and the rental car companies in Monte Carlo will probably all close on that Sunday. This would leave an excursion as the best option (assuming that the buses are not running). If the buses are running a normal Sunday schedule you could take the 100 bus from Monte Carlo to the Nice Gare Routiere bus station where you transfer to the 400 bus to get to St Paul de Vence.

Hank

The combination of May 1 and a Sunday is a not a good thing. Just about everything will be closed (this is pretty normal for even Sundays). . . .That is a huge 3 day holiday weekend throughout Europe. My best guess would be that St Paul de Vence would be the place to go, but again, we are not sure because of the May 1 holiday.

Hi Hank. Thanks for the prompt reply. Saint Paul de Vence sounds lovely. Our ship usually offers an uncharacteristically affordable all-day excursion which includes Nice, Saint Paul de Vence, and Monte Carlo for $89. I am wondering whether the town will be able to retain its charm with busloads of our shipmates descending on it all at once. In any case, I will certainly do my homework as you suggested (checking web sites, emailing the tourist office, etc) before making any firm plans.

(We had hoped to visit the Picasso Museum in Antibes, but alas, the museum's website says that it will be closed on May 1st.)

WRT the Labor Day holiday, you said in your post that it is a "huge 3 day holiday weekend throughout Europe". Does this mean that we can expect to find museums and shops closed on Monday, May 2nd, as well? Our ship is scheduled to call in Livorno on May 2nd. I'm wondering whether I will need to consider the Labor Day holiday in making my plans for the Livorno port call.

When it comes to museums it really is wise to check their individual web sites for their hours and closed days. As a general rule, most museums are open on Sundays (but not sure about May 1) and if they have a close day it will generally be Mon or Tuesday. In Italy, Monday mornings are used as an extension of Sunday and many things do not open Monday until the afternoon if they bother to open on Mondays at all. On Mon, May 2, if you go to Florence you will find quite a few shops open in the afternoon....but there will also be some that are closed. But unfortunately for you, the most popular Florence museums (Uffizi and the Academia) are closed on Mondays.

Hank

When it comes to museums it really is wise to check their individual web sites for their hours and closed days. As a general rule, most museums are open on Sundays (but not sure about May 1) and if they have a close day it will generally be Mon or Tuesday. In Italy, Monday mornings are used as an extension of Sunday and many things do not open Monday until the afternoon if they bother to open on Mondays at all. On Mon, May 2, if you go to Florence you will find quite a few shops open in the afternoon....but there will also be some that are closed. But unfortunately for you, the most popular Florence museums (Uffizi and the Academia) are closed on Mondays.

I spent much of my honeymoon in Firenze so I am fortunate enough to have seen the Uffizi and the Accademia. (. . . not that I would mind going back!) This trip I was intending to spend the Livorno port day in Siena. I'll be sure to find out about the museum hours before I go. . . .

Thanks, Hank.:) You have given me a lot of useful information on how Labor Day is celebrated in Europe. I'll be sure to take it into consideration when I plan my port days in Monte Carlo and Livorno, and I'll pass on the info about Florence to the others on my Roll Call.

Archived