Just returned from the Carnival Glory – Proceed with caution

Redbird54

I can answer that from personal experience.

I broke my foot one hour into the cruise (on the Glory, interestingly enough) by tripping over the riser between the balcony and the room.

I was given x-rays, a temporary cast (i was told that it would last till the end of the cruise, then i should see an orthopedic doctor when i got back), a wheelchair, and our table in the dining room was changed to one close to the front.

Carnival gave me a letter stating that any subsequent medical bills on land due to this incident should be submitted to them for payment.

They paid them

I wouldn't dream of suing them for my accident.... though of course there are always people who said it was the cruise line's fault for not having a caution strip on the riser... sheesh... i should sue Carnival because *I'm* a klutz?!

Here I am, all dolled up in a wheelchair...still had a ball!! (and got hose over the cast, too!! :) )

Good to know that they paid. I asuume you bought the insurance they offer?

Now what were to happen if someone started having a heart attack or a stroke God forbid? Is the medical team onboard equipt to handle something of that magnitude?

I've found that there are flip flops and there are flip flops. I had a pair that seemed to have no grip and got rid of them. Check the bottoms of them and find a pair that will touch the floor when stepped in and not hydroplane on water. I have found some areas of the deck around the Lido to be a little slippery and hard to see water on them. We watched people slip and slide for hours around the pool on the Dream while we played cards. Just have to be extra careful.

I'm the person who trips over the raised edge between balcony and room, outside decks and inside, so I am always trying to be extra careful.

Now what were to happen if someone started having a heart attack or a stroke God forbid? Is the medical team onboard equipt to handle something of that magnitude?

Not neccesarily...heck there are some small town hospitals that can't handle strokes.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

2. NATURE OF CRUISE AND GUEST’S OBLIGATIONS

(a) The Guest admits a full understanding of the character of the Vessel and assumes all risks incident to travel and transportation and handling of Guests and cargo. The Vessel may or may not carry a ship’s physician or other medical personnel at the election of Carnival. While at sea or in port the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed. Guest acknowledges that all or part of their voyage may be in areas where medical care and evacuation may not be available. Guest agrees to indemnify and reimburse Carnival in the event Carnival elects to advance the cost of emergency medical care, including medical care provided ashore as well as transportation and/or lodging in connection therewith.

(b) Carnival’s vessels visit numerous ports in a number of countries. Guests assume responsibility for their own safety and Carnival cannot guarantee Guest’s safety at any time. The United States Department of State, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other governmental and tourist organizations regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers and Carnival strongly recommends Guests obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions. Carnival assumes no responsibility for gathering said information. The Guest acknowledges that the cruise may be booked in a location that is susceptible to severe weather systems, including but not limited to, hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, and that Carnival reserves the right to alter the ship’s course, ports of call, itinerary, activity and shore excursions to avoid such weather systems and insure the comfort and safety of the Guest and crew.

I am curious to why not being able to hear the PA announcements and not seeing the CD are on the "bad" list? :confused:

I have always found the announcements to be highly intrusive and for the most part, unnecessary.

Unless you are fortunate to have an exceptional CD, and they are few and far between, they are for the most part a waste of oxygen. :rolleyes:

I agree. It use to be you could hear the announcements in your cabin and it was a pain in the you know what! Try taking an afternoon siesta with announcements blaring at you! I was thrilled when Carnival stopped piping it into the cabin.

I agree. It use to be you could hear the announcements in your cabin and it was a pain in the you know what! Try taking an afternoon siesta with announcements blaring at you! I was thrilled when Carnival stopped piping it into the cabin.

Me Too!

WOW , thanks for the warning about flip flops. Another reason why I don't cruise during peak season. The ship is too crowded. The lines on the LIDO deck are very long. Cruising off season - less crowds and less children.

\

I understand what they are saying about the Lido deck it should be assumed that it's slippery with all the pools and stuff but are the liable, yes, of course they will say it's your fault. I was just curious did they charge you for the doctor's visit onboard? I have heard others have been but for more serious things.

Sorry, but the cruise line is NOT liable - if you sued under US law (doesn't the contract specify that Florida law applies? - I don't remember), recovery is barred because the cruise line doesn't owe a legal duty to the passenger re wet decks - the wet lido deck is "open and obvious" (you can see the water, and water is to be expected on the top deck of a cruise ship sailing the ocean) so the cruise line has no duty to warn of the water. Without a legal duty, no recovery.

I don't know about the Bass flip-flops, but my water shoes do the job fine - though I must admit they're not really as comfy as f-f's nor do they keep my feet as cool.

what were to happen if someone started having a heart attack or a stroke God forbid? Is the medical team onboard equipt to handle something of that magnitude?
When I did some research into what's required to get a nursing job on a cruise ship, most lines require a minimum of 5 years ER/ICU experience. I would expect that ship's staff would have the equipment and skills to stabilize patients for transport.

I always get a little smile when people talk about "suing". Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most of the ships registered in different countries? What jurisdiciton would you sue in?

And although I have not looked carefully at my cruise contract, I'm sure it mentions arbitration, mediation or at least a specific jurisdicition.

Amazing how often a very simple and cute comment can be taken the wrong way and at that point the medical staff could do nothing right according to the OP.

Using some hyperbole here:

If a ship's doctor or assistant called your wife a cow (not saying she is one...just hyperbole here) how would you take it? Assuming he's not the equivalent of Dr. House.

Not that there's anything wrong with stating the obvious mind you...it's just that us humans have a hard time taking the truth. We are a sensitive lot. That's why we teach our kids not to walk up to very large strangers in stores and say "you're a big one aren't you?". Or maybe that is appropriate?

no, i did not buy their insurance. My own health insurance plan covers me for most things, anywhere in the world.

i have seen them land a helicopter on the aft deck, after clearing it of all passengers, and get a woman who had suffered a stroke out of there.

the medical staff does what they can to stabilize, but they are obviously not equipt for any life-threatening occurances....

no, i did not buy their insurance. My own health insurance plan covers me for most things, anywhere in the world.

i have seen them land a helicopter on the aft deck, after clearing it of all passengers, and get a woman who had suffered a stroke out of there.

the medical staff does what they can to stabilize, but they are obviously not equipt for any life-threatening occurances....

Scary.. My DH had a heart attack in December.. I am a bit scared now..For some reason I thought they had an extensive medical team on the ships... :confused:

Scary.. My DH had a heart attack in December.. I am a bit scared now..For some reason I thought they had an extensive medical team on the ships... :confused:

He'll probably be fine...as long as you don't make HIM carry all your luggage. :D

Hmmm. There are slippery floor signs posted along the lido deck. They can't use the big plastic cones, they would blow away. It's also the open deck of the ship and has a pool. One would expect due to weather and pools that the ground will be wet. It's unfornate your friend fell yes. It's not the cruise lines responsibility though. As for the medical treatment. It sounds like you received adequate medical care. You may not have enjoyed the personality of the staff and that is a personal preference I guess. But the fact that you went so far as to complain about the hospital not doing enough says something to me. What more would you expect them to do? Should they perform a full body CT scan for an injured leg? Maybe a couple 12 lead ECG's? How about an MRI or two? They took an x-ray and based off the findings they determined your most appropriate treatment. You obviously are oblivious to how the world works. Again it's unfortunate you had this experience but I find it VERY unlikely that you would receive any different treatment from any other cruise line. If you are concerned about medical bills then get insurance. It's well explained that medical cost are YOUR responsibility not the cruise lines. I think all a lawsuit will do is cost you time and money and you will end up more upset than you currently are. Good luck in your future cruise adventures.

Slippery floor signs doesn't correct the problem. If there is a problem it should be corrected.

There is a reason there is no carpet around the buffet. Can one say spills, constant spills. The carpet would be ruined in a month. Do you have carpet in your kitchen? I'm guessing not. Tiles can be swept and mopped getting rid of the grease and grime.

Their has to be a solution I wore sneakers and still had a hell of a time from keeping slipping.

Once again, I will STRESS that flip flops and ships DON'T match. Leave them for the beach. Cruise ships are moving vessels.

BTW, is you friend big?

Once again you slip wearing sneakers

Technically, cruise ships don't even have to have medical staff for passengers. Your cruise contract states you accept the risk of travel and the limited services that may be available. She will get a bill and be responsible for it. Wet floor on the pool deck should be expected, don't see how Carnival is to blame?

On our behind the fun tour they told us the ship cannot sail without a doctor.

I did some research on Carnival onboard RN jobs, as well. The literature that I read made mention of one doctor and a couple of nurses on board for each cruise. It also mentioned being able to operate xray equipment, emergency cardiac drugs on a crash cart, defibrillators, and mechanical ventillation. So, I would think they have what is needed to provide emergency care until they can get you to a hospital. (similar to an ambulance - they have just what they need to treat you and get you to the ER)

Sorry about your accident, but accidents do happen.

What I don't get...why are people so quick to sue!?!? We are "sue happy" and think we should get money for everything. :(

It certainly isn't Carnival's fault that the pool area is WET. It's a pool...with water...water is wet...people get wet in the pool and when they get out the deck gets wet.

We need to walk carefully and wear shoes that aren't slippery on wet decks.

Common sense + our responsibility = great cruise vacation!

I took flip flops on my last cruise, but limited their use to inside the cabin. Outside the cabin I wore sandals with ankle straps, and good "tire tread" type bottom. I had no problem with slipping on a wet deck. ADDITIONALLY, to be considred, even when the deck is not wet, a lot of ships roll, and the first day or two in partcular, before one gets their "sea legs" a lot of people stumble. Your feet will slid around in flip flops, and there goes your traction, even on a dry deck or carpeting. The ankle strap prevents that. Or get a good pair of watershoes.

Using some hyperbole here:

If a ship's doctor or assistant called your wife a cow (not saying she is one...just hyperbole here) how would you take it? Assuming he's not the equivalent of Dr. House.

Not that there's anything wrong with stating the obvious mind you...it's just that us humans have a hard time taking the truth. We are a sensitive lot. That's why we teach our kids not to walk up to very large strangers in stores and say "you're a big one aren't you?". Or maybe that is appropriate?

First the lady was called a big one. Not a cow but big. Haqe no idea if she is 25 pounds overweight or 300.

Second when someone makes all of the negative comments the OP did, I will take what she said with a grain of salt.

Third according to the CC rules you cannot engage in "hyperbole" here as 47% of the posters here will not know the meaning of the word.

Me Too! I believe if you turn on the ship TV channel (17??), you can hear announcements in your room.

Third according to the CC rules you cannot engage in "hyperbole" here as 47% of the posters here will not know the meaning of the word.

Thats like 4 months after the Superbowl right?

Archived