St. Peter's Basilica Only

pjunctiongirl

This is our first cruise and I am going to attempt Rome on our own using the train, etc. I was considering visiting St. Peter's only, skipping the vatican museum. What is the procedure for this and how long will the wait be during the week at St. Peter's at 1pm vs. 9am?

Thanks you in advance for your input.

You just walk into St. Peter's square and have to get in line to go through security. I guess the line would depend on the month you're traveling (I would imagine summer would be busier) and the day of the week. If it's a Wednesday, the pope may be giving his audience and the square can be crowded.

Our line in the middle of July was long, but it moved surprisingly fast. There's no fee to enter the Basilica, so maybe that's what allows them to move people through really quickly without having to deal with money transactions.

A couple of years ago we were stunned to get off the train and have the entire square filled with people waiting in line. The last few times we've been there, the line was pretty short--less than 10 minutes, but I would recommend saving it for your last stop of the day and then catching the train from the San Pietro station back to the ship. That way if there are morning crowds you don't have to worry.

The 2 lines are nowhere near each other, so you can't get them mixed up. Please be aware that, if you want to Sistine Chapel, you can not see it by going to St. Peter's. You can only gain entrance to the chapel by visiting the museums. St. Peter's itself is amazing and you can easily spend an hour, even if you don't go up in the dome. If you're not energetic enough to go up the dome (or don't want to wait in the line to do so) I suggest paying for and taking the elevator to the roof, which will give you quite a good view of Rome (not as good as from the top of the dome, of course).

• 2 weeks later...

I also was thinking of going only to St.Peter's. I'll be there on Wednesday, Aug. 25 with my Mom, who will be using a walker. We are taking the train in, I think to the Traverste station, since it is smaller. Then we are going to take the HOHO bus. SO.... what is the best way to get to St. Peter's if we go that route.

Can anyone recommend the best time of day to go to St.Peter's?

Thanks bunches!

The HoHos stop right in fromt of the square. From what I've seen and read, afternoon is a better time to go. It WILL involve a lot of walking just to get across the square and to the entrance of the basilica from where the bus drops you off. . .

Our experience is that the line up to get into St. Peters is much longer in the the morning and mid afternoon. We often go later in the afternoon and are able to walk right in. Keep in mind you will have to pass thru the normal security screens....I think they also screen for 'acceptable' attire as well.

You could in fact make this your last stop of the day, and from St. Peters walk over to the S. Pietro train station where you can catch the train to the port.

I also was thinking of going only to St.Peter's. I'll be there on Wednesday, Aug. 25 with my Mom, who will be using a walker. We are taking the train in, I think to the Traverste station, since it is smaller. Then we are going to take the HOHO bus. SO.... what is the best way to get to St. Peter's if we go that route.

Can anyone recommend the best time of day to go to St.Peter's?

Thanks bunches!

Since your mom has mobility problems (like my wife) I would not use the Ho-Ho bus for at least this part of the trip. Just to get her across the piazza from the HO-HO stop is a couple city blocks. You really have no concept of the size until you get there. I would take a taxi, which won't cost you that much as it's not that far a distance. You're still walking the same distance across the piazza but a taxi will be easier for her to negotiate. Save her strength for the actual sites. Once you get through security at St. Peter's you may be able to get a wheelchair for your mom near the parcel check area. They have a limited number available. Again, St. Peter's is so massive that I would save your mom's energy for other parts of the city that are not as easy to get around as St. Peter's, which is completely accessible for the handicapped. Even if she doesn't (or won't) get a chair there is an elevator you can use to get up to the main entrance to the church. Once on the portico you will see a blocked off area that has a handicapped ramp. Just approach the guards and they'll let you in so your mom can roll up the ramp so she doesn't have to do the steps. I know alot of parents, mine included, are loathe to use wheelchairs, but for St. Peter's it is really worth it because it is so enormous.

Archived