Day trip to St. John

HUNT74

I was wondering where you go to get on the ferry that will take you over to St. John? how much the trip is? how often does the ferry run between islands? and which beach is better at St.John?

Thank all of you in advance for the wonderful help.

I believe the ferry leaves from Red Hook. If you do a search on any of the St. Thomas tourist sites, I believe you can find the schedule. Trunk Bay is the most famous beach on St. John's, but I believe there are others. I don't know if all of the others have facilities.

Cinnamon and Trunk are great beaches, however there are 100 more that are beautiful as well. You get the ferry from Red Hook, I think there is one every half hour. I always rent a car or jeep and explore the bays, great photo ops and incredible beaches

There is also another ferry (Havensight?) near the cruise terminal. That one is much closer to where the cruise ships dock. The down side is that it is more expensive, a longer ride and fewer trips between the two islands. The Red Hook ferry is a short taxi ride from the cruise port. The price is less and they run every hour.

Trunk Bay on ST. John is rated as one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. There is a snorkel course with underwater signs describing the marine life that takes you around a small island.

There's one from Charlotte Amalie and one from Red Hook, cruiseguy is right the Red Hook goes every hour. We usually take the Red Hook over, timing our cab ride for the next ferry and come back to Charlotte Amalie for a bit of shopping before returning to the pier. St. John is GREAT, have fun.

Cinnamon Beach is much less crowded than trunk bay and we found it to be wonderful. If was as if we had it all to ourselves. They have a small rental place for mats, kayaks and such and a small place to buy beer or soft drinks.

We have done this trip several times on our own. We never book this excursion with the cruise line for they typically only spend 2 hours at the beach. We can spend around 4 hours, which is magnificent. The sand is like confectioners sugar. They have a nice little snack shack where you can get burgers and chix fingers, fries and such. Their beverages are yummy too. you can get the schedules online. The taxi drive is a bit longer than you would think. Probably about 20 minutes or so. Remember, for the trip back, factor in Island traffic from Red Hook. We always make sure we are back on St. Thomas 2 hours before the ship takes off. Just in Case. you can always reserve that time for shopping in St. Thomas. It's the nicest, most relaxing excursion that we do. Love it! you'll take a cab ride, which is around $6 per person if I remember correctly to get to Trunk Bay from the pier. Plus they have showers. I forget how much it costs to get into Trunk Bay...but I know there is a small fee. Good Luck! I think you should factor in around $35 round trip for all of the transportation. Taxi to Red Hook. Roundtrip Ferry. Taxi to Trunk Bay. Admission to the beach. Taxi back to Ferry. Taxi back to Ship.

I also vote for Cinnamon Bay. We have been to both Trunk and Cinammon, and IMO, Cinnamon was so much nicer. Not nearly as many people, the snorkeling was just as good, no fee to get in, and the staff was way more friendly. We loved it there and plan to go back on our Serenade cruise in April.

Archived