Do men really hate wearing suits?

elena7seas

Sorry but that's one of the reasons I CHOOSE to cruise Celebrity, because it ISN'T Burger King.

How does another passenger's clothes inconvenice you in any shape, manner or form?

I understand the argument about smoking because it's a health issue as well as an assult to other person's olfactory senses. But clothing?

And flclsax I respectfully disagree - this is American and yes you CAN have everything you want (assuming you can pay for it!)

That was my whole point. Celebrity isn't BK....they make rules so that we can have an experience of distinction. If everyone refuses to "play by the rules" then the experience becomes mundane and typical. This is why there are different cruiselines, to accomodate different tastes and wants. I wish everyone would stop trying to make every aspect of society casual these days. What is so hard about dressing up for two lousy nights and participating in an elegent experience. Does everthing have to be "dumbed down"?

With all do respect back to you.....your last comment says it all about people these days. The "all about me" attitude.

I always pack two suits, dress pants, various ties and shirts.

Anything to help make the DW feel extra special, by dressing up for dinner. That way I feel she will make me feel extra special .......later.:rolleyes:

See I find that uncomfortable and would take it off anyways.

I just want to ask a sincere, straightforward question. I'm not looking for a debate or an argument. I mean no disrespect and I'm not trying to make a value judgment. If you were at a wedding or business dinner (assuming you had a jacket) would you take it off while eating?

I just want to ask a sincere, straightforward question. I'm not looking for a debate or an argument. I mean no disrespect and I'm not trying to make a value judgment. If you were at a wedding or business dinner (assuming you had a jacket) would you take it off while eating?

I have been working as a Maitre D' for 25 years and have therefore been in the midst of countless weddings... the majority of men will take their jackets off at some point during the wedding. The only one's I've seen keep their jackets on throughout the affair are those who don't want to "show off" their beer bellys :rolleyes:

I think you just don't get it, or are you being deliberately confrontational.

My DH's pinstripe suit jacket doesn't go with anything other than his suit. He can't wear the jacket with other slacks during our vacations. That means he also would have to bring a sports jacket along, unless he wished to wear his suit all over Greece and Turkey in September, looking completely ridiculous and not dressing for the climate.

We recently completed a week's trip to Chicago. He took his blazer, and grey slacks for dress, khakis and cream colored slacks for those times he wasn't in cargo shorts.

He could wear the jacket with golf shirts, dress shirts, or silk tee shirts, with any of the pants. A suit is not versatile.

Like Julia, my DH's suit is heavy. With all the accessories including the dress shoes, it weighs 8 pounds.

We can mix and match with the blazer much better than carrying a suit to wear once or twice for three hours.

Not being confrontational. I have a black suit that I wear with tuxedo accessories. I also can wear it with shirt and tie or just with shirt. It is not heavy so it doesn't weight much. I also have many other suits and sport coats but this is the one I usually take on cruises. For longer cruises, I also take my white diinner jacket and another sport coat. I don't worry about luggage fees when I am spending $10,000 for a cruise. I do not think anyone on these boards cares what your DH wears in Greece or Turkey or Chicago. Only concern here is what he wears on formal night on Celebrity cruises.

Not being confrontational. I have a black suit that I wear with tuxedo accessories. I also can wear it with shirt and tie or just with shirt. It is not heavy so it doesn't weight much. I also have many other suits and sport coats but this is the one I usually take on cruises. For longer cruises, I also take my white diinner jacket and another sport coat. I don't worry about luggage fees when I am spending $10,000 for a cruise. I do not think anyone on these boards cares what your DH wears in Greece or Turkey or Chicago. Only concern here is what he wears on formal night on Celebrity cruises.

Sorry, I didn't expand the explanation. Greece and Turkey were part of a cruise vacation, so like many of the people who are posting about the versatility of a sports jacket, it was worn in restaurants before and after the cruise. I am sorry I forgot to state that.

For us, like you, luggage fees aren't an issue. Heck, I've paid luggage fees to bring cases of wine home in our check in bags from our Napa trip. Bought the styrofoam cases as well. Money is definitely not the driver.

I wasn't thinking about simple solid black suits. My husband bought one once. It quickly deteriorated and looked bad from the back as it just kept getting shinier. My advice, never buy Oscar de la Renta suits that are bought as separate pieces. They don't hold up.

Sincerely, what would you wear pin-stripes with, other than the suit pants? That's DH's situation now. He has three suits that are wool blends and are heavy, and a light weight sage colored summer suit, that wasn't acceptable on cruise ships until the word "dark" was taken out of the dress code descriptions. His office practices "casual summer" so unless you are testifying to Congress, you don't wear suits, jackets or ties between Memorial Day and Labor Day. He's retiring in four months. No need to buy new suits.

Bottom line, we don't care about luggage fees. We take what works best for long trips, not a clothing choice that isn't versatile.

If we book this Mercury trip with our friends who are asking us to join their group this winter, he could bring the suit, and the sports jacket also, and whatever else, (other than the case of fine wines to enjoy with our friends - Celebrity!, your wine policy is so screwed up!), since we're driving to Baltimore, and there won't be pre or post cruise touring.

We've pretty much changed how we vacation, and it's mostly longer trips that combine touring and cruising. If we do cruise on Mercury, it will be the first mass market cruise we've taken since 2001.

I'm reading the Celebrity boards to see how things have changed. The only other cruise we have scheduled is Antarctica in December 2011. But YEAH!! no formal nights there, just need the sports jacket for welcome and farewell dinners.

The last time we had a cruise that still included a formal night, in 2004, DH took the sage suit, and re-used the jacket in Greece and Turkey. That suit came with two pair of pants, one solid and the other a very tightly woven textured herringbone. With those slacks, he was good to go for hotel stays in Istanbul and Athens. That cruise had ONE, only one, night where he would have had to have a dark suit. We booked the Italian dinner party that night and he wore his sage suit. Problem solved, yes? :) Now, it's only resort casual/informal on Regent. Many people commented about taking suits and tuxes all over the world for just a few hours, so they have changed their dress codes.

We don't cruise as much as we did before. The Caribbean is overcrowded, as is Alaska. The food on the mass market ships has changed from what it was. Those who cruised before the glut of new-builds know that the experience is different. We saw a huge difference in HAL over a period from 1998 to 2001. I have all the menus and can see what was eliminated. Less choice. Lesser cuts of meat. Less expensive veggies, if there were any left on the descriptions.

We are still on the fence about the Mercury cruise. We are celebrating DH's retirement. We want to take vintage Port, dessert wines and some old Bordeaux's to share with our friends. Unless we take them out of the Styrofoam shipping box, hand them to all our friends as we board, and show one bottle per person, we can't bring the case on the ship.

I know, I'm complaining but, it would be nice to add Celebrity to our list as we have cruised on every mass market line other than them. We were actually booked to do the Med on Celebrity but they pulled the cruises from Europe after 9/11. We do have Celebrity to thank for us discovering small luxury ships, though, since that is what we ended up booking in 2002 ;)

Sorry, I didn't expand the explanation. Greece and Turkey were part of a cruise vacation, so like many of the people who are posting about the versatility of a sports jacket, it was worn in restaurants before and after the cruise. I am sorry I forgot to state that.

For us, like you, luggage fees aren't an issue. Heck, I've paid luggage fees to bring cases of wine home in our check in bags from our Napa trip. Bought the styrofoam cases as well. Money is definitely not the driver.

I wasn't thinking about simple solid black suits. My husband bought one once. It quickly deteriorated and looked bad from the back as it just kept getting shinier. My advice, never buy Oscar de la Renta suits that are bought as separate pieces. They don't hold up.

Sincerely, what would you wear pin-stripes with, other than the suit pants? That's DH's situation now. He has three suits that are wool blends and are heavy, and a light weight sage colored summer suit, that wasn't acceptable on cruise ships until the word "dark" was taken out of the dress code descriptions. His office practices "casual summer" so unless you are testifying to Congress, you don't wear suits, jackets or ties between Memorial Day and Labor Day. He's retiring in four months. No need to buy new suits.

Bottom line, we don't care about luggage fees. We take what works best for long trips, not a clothing choice that isn't versatile.

If we book this Mercury trip with our friends who are asking us to join their group this winter, he could bring the suit, and the sports jacket also, and whatever else, (other than the case of fine wines to enjoy with our friends - Celebrity!, your wine policy is so screwed up!), since we're driving to Baltimore, and there won't be pre or post cruise touring.

We've pretty much changed how we vacation, and it's mostly longer trips that combine touring and cruising. If we do cruise on Mercury, it will be the first mass market cruise we've taken since 2001.

I'm reading the Celebrity boards to see how things have changed. The only other cruise we have scheduled is Antarctica in December 2011. But YEAH!! no formal nights there, just need the sports jacket for welcome and farewell dinners.

The last time we had a cruise that still included a formal night, in 2004, DH took the sage suit, and re-used the jacket in Greece and Turkey. That suit came with two pair of pants, one solid and the other a very tightly woven textured herringbone. With those slacks, he was good to go for hotel stays in Istanbul and Athens. That cruise had ONE, only one, night where he would have had to have a dark suit. We booked the Italian dinner party that night and he wore his sage suit. Problem solved, yes? :) Now, it's only resort casual/informal on Regent. Many people commented about taking suits and tuxes all over the world for just a few hours, so they have changed their dress codes.

We don't cruise as much as we did before. The Caribbean is overcrowded, as is Alaska. The food on the mass market ships has changed from what it was. Those who cruised before the glut of new-builds know that the experience is different. We saw a huge difference in HAL over a period from 1998 to 2001. I have all the menus and can see what was eliminated. Less choice. Lesser cuts of meat. Less expensive veggies, if there were any left on the descriptions.

We are still on the fence about the Mercury cruise. We are celebrating DH's retirement. We want to take vintage Port, dessert wines and some old Bordeaux's to share with our friends. Unless we take them out of the Styrofoam shipping box, hand them to all our friends as we board, and show one bottle per person, we can't bring the case on the ship.

I know, I'm complaining but, it would be nice to add Celebrity to our list as we have cruised on every mass market line other than them. We were actually booked to do the Med on Celebrity but they pulled the cruises from Europe after 9/11. We do have Celebrity to thank for us discovering small luxury ships, though, since that is what we ended up booking in 2002 ;)

I figured Greece and Turkey were a cruise. Not to be argumentative but all you need to do is add one sport coat (plus the suit) and you have all the combinations you want. I would still suggest a solid black suit which looks more like a tux and can also be used as a suit (with or without tie) and even as a sport coat. New Celebrity S-Class ships are the best criuise experience I have had in 30 cruises. Caribbean not always crowded - check port schedules when you book a cruise. We usually cruise for the ship not the islands but we love the islands.

Yes I do.

It gets too hot and if one dances the sweat really starts to pile on.

Edited by leetchie69

I wear a suite and tie everyday to work so i do not see why i should not wear the same if I am out with my wife for dinner. If we were just visiting a pub perhaps I would be more casula but certainly for a restaurant I would always wear suit and tie .

Many cruise ships suggest to dress for dinner would be like dressing to go to a nice fgashionable restaurant and that is how we see it.

We do not treat a cruise as a holiday as we have a touring caravan at home and have many holidays in that which are very casual , we treat a cruise as a special occassion and dress accordingly

There appear to be more than the regular number of dress code threads at the moment, and, as usual, some of them are a little heated. One of the issues that comes up regularly has me wondering....

Why do some men hate wearing suits? Why would men rather wear sports jackets than suit jackets?

My husband tells me that his suits are as comfortable as a sports jacket and slacks. But he says he hates wearing a tie, and if given a chance, will wear a thin silk crewneck sweater/tee with his suit. (He looks very smart in this). There is no question that he looks "more dressed up" in the suit, even sans tie, than in the sports jacket.

I am honestly quite perplexed as to why so many of the recent cruisers who are new to Celebrity object to wearing suits? (or why their SO's are objecting on their behalf).

A suit jacket and matching slacks don't weigh more than a sports jacket and slacks. They don't take up any more room in the suitcase. A smart casual shirt can be worn as easily with suit trousers as with dress slacks (for double-duty on smart casual evenings).

I don't want to debate anything...I'd just like to hear why some men are objecting to wearing suits?

I don't object.....:):):)

Bob

At a wedding, my husband never takes off his jacket. The way we dance, it really doesn't matter!!! But I do notice that the young men (and older, if heavy-duty dancers) take off their jackets.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Do you ever attend weddings where the facility is air-conditioned?

Sure...but it does not help prevent the heat when one is tearing up the dance floor.

The only solution is to take off the jacket to allow the heat to escape!

Ergo 90% of the reception the jacket is on the back of the chair.

Sure...but it does not help prevent the heat when one is tearing up the dance floor.

The only solution is to take off the jacket to allow the heat to escape!

Ergo 90% of the reception the jacket is on the back of the chair.

I wonder what kind of weddings you go to ! Here it is a big faux pas to take off your jacket during dinner, and even afterwords, its considered impolite.

As for wearing a suit, I wear one 5 days a week for the past 5 years, so I really don't see it as being *that* big of a deal.

I wonder what kind of weddings you go to ! Here it is a big faux pas to take off your jacket during dinner, and even afterwords, its considered impolite.

As for wearing a suit, I wear one 5 days a week for the past 5 years, so I really don't see it as being *that* big of a deal.

Have you ever seen the young guys doing "simcha" dancing? It can get pretty heated up!! Wearing a jacket would be more of a faux pas!

Will you be dancing in the dining room onboard?

No...wait maybe..., regardless I want to be comfortable while I eat which means no jacket. If I offend anyone while just wearing a dress shirt and tie all I can say is don't look at me.

I hate wearing a suit. HATE HATE HATE it!

That being said, when I'm asked by the security officer to put my bathing suit back on while in the hot tub, I politely do so. I tried pointing out that it wasn't in their FAQs that I had to, and that if it wasn't online, I don't need to follow the rules, but they mumbled something about decent conduct.

I don't know why folks complain so much.. I LOVE wearing my tux when I get the opportunity.