Plus size - post pictures of your dresses please

mollymoo12

Mollymoo18,

Monsoon often has some really nice evening dresses which go up to a UK 18, but are often cut fairly generously.

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/Dresses/Evening-Dresses/icat/eveningdresses

They also have a line of dressy knitted shrugs with 3/4 sleeves in lots of colours, including silver and gold.

Monsoon branches are all over the country (including Lancaster) but some branches have more evening wear than others, so it is worth ringing to ask.

If you want to push the boat out, Base in Convent Garden (size UK 16 up) in London dresses lots of opera singers and has some really beautiful clothes for curvy women who love who they are (and for those who would like too).

I once saw a young woman come into Base in the "fat girl uniform" of a long baggy t-shirt and leggings who clearly was trying to hide herself.

The Base sales ladies encouraged her into a jacket and skirt that made her look fantastic. Her whole demeanour changed as she looked into the mirror and smiled at what she saw.

I once tried on a simple, loose lavender silk trouser and top outfit so beautifully cut that would be perfect for the mother of the bride only if the mother hated her daughter and wanted to look so fabulous no one looked at the bride. (I didn't buy it, but I wish I had for a drop dead party outfit)

http://www.base-fashions.co.uk/

Edited by leagle

Gorgeous! And I think you look younger than I know my age to be! :p (also, thanks for letting me not be the only plus size lady to show her picture on this thread)

Closing in on 50 here Kikkycat... lol Thanks for the compliment. I agree with another poster who basically said it's all about attitude. I'm not a size 2. Never will be. I wish I were smaller but for now this is where I'm at. Wallowing in an attitude of, "I'm so ugly because I'm fat and everyone must hate looking at me" is for the birds. I have stretch marks from carrying two babies under my heart. I have a belly scar that reminds me emergency surgery saved my life. I'll use fashion tips and tricks to make the best of where I'm at right now. But an adventurous spirit, a smile full of laughter and a generous heart have more to do with being attractive than we give it credit for.

I'll get off my soapbox now...lol

For those of you still looking for dresses, there's an online site for plus sizes that combines many of the individual stores. If it's of any help to those still looking, here's the link

http://www.onestopplus.com/

Just click on Clothing and pick either Dresses (for all styles) or Special Occasion for formal night. Enjoy!

Closing in on 50 here Kikkycat... lol Thanks for the compliment. I agree with another poster who basically said it's all about attitude. I'm not a size 2. Never will be. I wish I were smaller but for now this is where I'm at. Wallowing in an attitude of, "I'm so ugly because I'm fat and everyone must hate looking at me" is for the birds. I have stretch marks from carrying two babies under my heart. I have a belly scar that reminds me emergency surgery saved my life. I'll use fashion tips and tricks to make the best of where I'm at right now. But an adventurous spirit, a smile full of laughter and a generous heart have more to do with being attractive than we give it credit for.

I'll get off my soapbox now...lol

For those of you still looking for dresses, there's an online site for plus sizes that combines many of the individual stores. If it's of any help to those still looking, here's the link

http://www.onestopplus.com/

Just click on Clothing and pick either Dresses (for all styles) or Special Occasion for formal night. Enjoy!

You look lovely - and with a lovely attitude. (ps - I AM 50, this past March, although was "just" 49 in the picture wearing the short red dress).

FreezinginMichigan - You look lovely in your dress and it is giving me ideas. I am going on the cruise to celebrate my 50th so there is a coincidence.

Leagle - I looked in Monsoon on Saturday and they are just starting to get the Xmas dresses in now, a few more weeks and there should be more choice.

I will check out the other website shortly.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions, I am sure it is helping lots of "fluffy" ladies.

Edited by mollymoo12

Boden goes up to a UK 22 (US 20) and, although it is a UK company, it has websites in both the UK and the US.

www.boden.co.uk and www.bodenusa.com

Their clothes aren't particularly cheap, but the sales are good and so, usually, is the quality. They also have a generous return policy.

BTW, their children's clothes, IMO, are particularly good.

Bravissimo sells dresses up to a UK 18 (US 16) but as their tops and dresses are designed for busty women, someone who takes a larger size to accommodate their bust often take a much smaller size in Bravissimo.

They ship around the world and their website can prices in several currencies.

Edited by leagle

I have three plus size jacket dresses for formal nights. Two are by the same maker, Dana Kay, and they are both gorgeous. You can buy them online from many places.

Many of her styles have matching chiffon jackets, which are great for covering the upper arms. They also have a nice selection of dressy pantsuits. Their sizing is on the roomy side, so if you are a small size 20, I'd get an 18, etc.

Also, try roamans.com or onestoplus.com

http://www.roamans.com/Plus-Size-Special-Occasion.aspx?DeptId=21535

their sizing runs small, so order a size up unless it's one of their flowy dresses. Also, womanwithin.com has similar styles.

catherines.com.; there selection is more separates and shorter dresses.

I just remembered today to look and there's nothing in my email from my own cell phone so will have to re-send. Here are some of the dresses I've chosen to purchase and wear, but none of them are me in them:

JonesNYreddress.jpg

I just bought this dress in Black today at Ross... after trying on 16 black dresses!!

It looks sooooo nice, I love it.. and I'm really looking forward to wearing it next week on our cruise...

Ohh... and.... it was marked down to $29.99, with an original price tag of $99.99!!

I LOVE Ross!!!!!:D

• 1 month later...

I totally agree! Love that dress!

I just ordered this dress yesterday, even though we don't cruise until next September. I wanted to order it before they sell out of my size, as they often do on Igigi.com. Check their sale dept. too, they have some gowns marked down. http://www.igigi.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/694x901/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/s/estrella-front1-1.jpg

I got one of their little bolero things to go with it. I can wear it with my other black cocktail dress I am taking too. Now just to find some striking jewellry. I can't believe I have my dresses already. I agonized for months last cruise. I am tall, so it is hard finding gowns that are long enough.

I totally agree! Love that dress!

I just ordered this dress yesterday, even though we don't cruise until next September. I wanted to order it before they sell out of my size, as they often do on Igigi.com. Check their sale dept. too, they have some gowns marked down. http://www.igigi.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/694x901/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/s/estrella-front1-1.jpg

I got one of their little bolero things to go with it. I can wear it with my other black cocktail dress I am taking too. Now just to find some striking jewellry. I can't believe I have my dresses already. I agonized for months last cruise. I am tall, so it is hard finding gowns that are long enough.

Your igigi dress is gorgeous!

Hey, kleo30.....are we there yet? LOL

It's getting closer and closer!

And right after we come home, my 18 year old will be coming home, too. He'll have been gone for a year traveling the country with a ministry. He'll have visited a couple short times, but I am looking forward to him being home and graduating!! So two fun, exciting things to look forward to.

Here is the dress that I just bought today. I had a heck of a time finding something in my size (16). It was frustrating, but I am happy that I finally found something. I need to get it hemmed and have the straps taken in. (oh and I found it marked down from $150 to $45 at Dillards - huge plus)

http://www.myshape.com/shop/style/207785?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjfeeds&SID=56p6arqdvn639ai1nj1te1jp13

I am leaving in 30 days and have purchased and sent back at least TWO dresses already. I just haven't found a dress that I like. I found a couple of dresses on this site! Wish me luck!

Cristallo....especially at a bargain like that :D. You really do have to jump on things you like, especially sizes, too!

I know I was in the store to look at curtains and I said to my husband do you mind if I look at the dresses for a sec and then I saw it and first thought someone must have put this in the wrong section and then I looked at the tag. My husband saw my face and was like go try it on and when I showed it to him he said okay lets get it. He knows how hard it is to find a cute formal dress in my size.