Plus size - post pictures of your dresses please

mollymoo12

Just passing on some info. I was doing my tri annual......lol...........look at different websites for plus sizes and was looking at target.com. They seem to have come out with a more formal dress side. The dresses are kinda plan, all solid colors, but they have style and are around $70. A lot are sold out right now though b/c of the Holidays coming up.........well at least in my size. Check it out though.

Posted this on the other dress thread, but seeing how I'm plus size it might benefit me more to post here.

LOVE this dress. Can't try it on b/c its online only and no returns :(. The price tag is $350:eek:.

I do love it though......what to do?

thumbnailasp.jpg

Was this at Nordstrom? I just bought a dress that looks so close to this. It was at Nordstrom on the clearance rack. The only thing that may be different is the under bust embellishment on mine is gold and this picture appears to be silver. So....try looking at Nordstrom!

Was this at Nordstrom? I just bought a dress that looks so close to this. It was at Nordstrom on the clearance rack. The only thing that may be different is the under bust embellishment on mine is gold and this picture appears to be silver. So....try looking at Nordstrom!

Ouch! That is expensive but the dress is really beautiful!

My solution to formal nights is NOT dresses, but rather formal black pajama style slacks which I have in a satin, low nap velvet and a flat nylon. I have several tops to wear with them, along with scarves. All are wrinkle free fabrics and I could conceivably do a two week cruise with formal nights EVERY night with a different look each night. Today I bought a nylon wrap style dress to add to the arsenel, absolutely necessary (I HATE STOCKINGS). It's sleeveless and can actually be worn w/ a fes of my tops to make it look like a skirt and dressy top. I have a pair of gold lame "chinese" flats (w/ a medallian) and gold purse and black lace flats w/ a black beaded purse. All are stylish, but most importantly, I'm always comfortable! I try to make all my clothes do double duty when traveling as I hate to overpack even more than I hate to underpack! :D

They allow it???? I am exactly the same and for my body type it looks imo more classy and elegant then what a dress does (on me) and instead of looking ok and feeling self conscious I want to feel good and sexy ;) without watching the clock to head back and get changed :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are the dresses I plan to wear on the RCI cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in January. Gotta love my mom who bought them for me. Onestopplus is a great website!

I love the blue ruffle dress. I think I need to take it in a little. I've lost about 20 pounds so far this year and I'm in between sizes right now. But I'd rather have the dresses be a little big than too small. Going to be looking for something sparkly to jazz up the red dress.

372551834_dress1.jpg.8464a60c2c6f179b70d30c60d4452d38.jpg

480737228_dress2.jpg.39d86128b100b2c527cb4312b8036e8f.jpg

1034141486_dress3.jpg.5fea6f5bd143cc91c92daddb8fffaea6.jpg

Here are the dresses I plan to wear on the RCI cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in January. Gotta love my mom who bought them for me. Onestopplus is a great website!

I love the blue ruffle dress. I think I need to take it in a little. I've lost about 20 pounds so far this year and I'm in between sizes right now. But I'd rather have the dresses be a little big than too small. Going to be looking for something sparkly to jazz up the red dress.

Those are all great dresses! I love the red one especially.

Those are all great dresses! I love the red one especially.

Thanks. I have a the same red dress in a lighter green. I loved it so much, I had to get it in red. Glad it is a darker red. I such pale skin with a pink looking complexion that bright reds don't usually look good on me. Still think it needs some extra sparkly to make it perfect.

They allow it???? I am exactly the same and for my body type it looks imo more classy and elegant then what a dress does (on me) and instead of looking ok and feeling self conscious I want to feel good and sexy ;) without watching the clock to head back and get changed :p

Sorry, I haven't had computer access for a while.

I've never had a problem with this type of outfit, but all parts I'll pull together are clearly very formal! My 82 YO mom is doing the same thing on the cruise we're taking as a family in Jan. mind you, I do have a black cocktail dress in reserve, just in case. It can be dressed up (glitter jacket) but I'm mainly bringing it for dress casual dinners.

But no heels! They are a health hazard on cruise ships.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Our next cruise is coming up in 9 days! 2 formal nights... luckily, I had a cocktail dress I liked, and managed to find the same dress in a different color on clearance a couple of months ago!

Dress Barn is wonderful for plus-size cocktail dresses - they usually have something flattering for all shapes and sizes. This is the dress I have:

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/iridescent-shutter-pleat-sheath/100742807/113

I bought them last season - one pewter, and one maroon-ish. I have pewter heeled sandals that are relatively comfortable as far as such things go (and I don't like wearing heels, so that's saying something!), and they match both dresses. :)

Attached is a pic of what this dress looks like on a busty, size 20 apple-shaped gal. It doesn't require a special bra or major shapewear (I just throw on a pair of spanx knockoffs from Target underneath to hold things in just a bit), and I'm good to go. As far as formalwear goes, it's definitely one of the more comfortable things I've owned.

cocktaildress2.jpg.eec283bee3717aa184dd64831d33fb6a.jpg

• 6 months later...

OK, I want this dress from Avenue: http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Sequined-Blouson-Cold-Shoulder-Dress.aspx?PfId=349863&DeptId=22430&ProductTypeId=1

This would be PERFECT for my NYE cruise!!! It has sleeves, which are a must for me. But it's $98 and I will probably never wear it again :( I guess I'll wait for a sale or try to find something else.

I look on the clearance racks of the of the various upscale department stores for deals. I bought this dress that is a Donna Ricco at Lord and Taylor. It's original price was $190.....I got it on sale for $30.

http://s1134.beta.photobucket.com/user/islandgirlejfan/media/clothing1-Copy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=18

I've bought some amazing clothing from Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor, and Macys that way.

Just passing on some info. I was doing my tri annual......lol...........look at different websites for plus sizes and was looking at target.com. They seem to have come out with a more formal dress side. The dresses are kinda plan, all solid colors, but they have style and are around $70. A lot are sold out right now though b/c of the Holidays coming up.........well at least in my size. Check it out though.

I got ost of my dresses from target.com which surprised me because our local target always has the smallest plus sections and they are usually really ugly

OK, I want this dress from Avenue: http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Sequined-Blouson-Cold-Shoulder-Dress.aspx?PfId=349863&DeptId=22430&ProductTypeId=1

This would be PERFECT for my NYE cruise!!! It has sleeves, which are a must for me. But it's $98 and I will probably never wear it again :( I guess I'll wait for a sale or try to find something else.

Try this coupon code for $25.00 off. http://www.retailmenot.com/view/avenue.com

Oh, I just saw a better one on the Avenue website. AV12134 for 40% off!

PS: Cute dress!

Edited by Prairie_Gal

Nice to see more postings on this thread.

It is so nice to see real photos of all you lovely ladies in your finery.

I find it very difficult to visualis what a dress will look like on me when they are modelled on skinny minnies.:)