questions from a newcomer

cmood

Hi all,

We are family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids under 11 years old). As a first time cruiser, which iternary is better Eastern Caribbean or Western Caribbean? Have been search for a while, still struggling?

Regarding the laundry on the ship, is it prohibited?

We are thinking about inside cabin, which is a better, front, back or the center of the ship? One of our kids is always get airsick on flights, it might be the same for him on boat, any suggestions regarding the cabin location?

Thanks a lot for any inputs.

Some cruise lines offer self service laundry rooms while some cruise lines/ships don't off this and you would have to send it out for them to clean for you for a fee.

I happen to prefer the Western Caribbean but that was after doing both and there are some that prefer the Eastern and that is after doing both.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Some of your questions are easily answered so I'll start with those... If one of your children gets airsick, the most stable part of the ship is in the center on a lower deck. There'll be much less movement there. Do you have a cruise line in mind? Because laundry facilities, cabins and itineraries vary from ship to ship and line to line, your best bet would be to talk to a travel agent about what you're looking for. He/she would be able to direct you to a cruise best suited for your family.

Eastern vs Western is very personal preference. On your first cruise, you can't go wrong with either choice. I enjoy both. Consider what your family enjoys and decide accordingly. If you love a day at the beach, I would definitely look for an itinerary that includes a private beach day. These normally offer various water activities and a bbq lunch. If you enjoy snorkeling, I love Caymen, St. John (St. Thomas) and Roatan. If you love to shop, St. Thomas and Cozumel. Recently went to Grand Turk for the first time and would say it qualifies as a great beach day. If you would like to visit some wonderful ruins (Tulum), Playa del Carmen might be a great port (sometimes just a drop of for an excursion that returns you via ferry to Cozumel at the end of the day). We once did an excursion to Tulum and the Xel-Ha Ecological Park which was wonderful. My favorite days are the "at sea" days when you relax get pampered! There will be tons of activities for the kids on board the ship. You don't really care on those days if you are eastern or western. Our first cruise was Western Caribbean. It was fantastic, but we agreed we could do the same cruise the following year and never leave the ship!

Coin operated laundries on some ships but not on others. (Have never used them because I am committed to total relaxation when on board.) Always you can send "out" but that will be a little pricey. Other than dinner, the ship will be very casual (and no dirt for the young ones). You will be able to wear most things multiple times. Pack light. Worst thing is someone spills dinner in their lap and you do need to have a few items laundried.

These ships are amazingly stable but it you know you are prone to motion sickness, it is wise to be prepared. In ten cruises, I have only been a little queasy once when we were skirting a hurricane. Ship's doctor provided Dramamine which made me very sleepy. When in doubt, I would have your doctor at home prescribe the little patches you put behind your ear to be sure you start off as worry-free as possible. I agree you should go for an inside cabin, midship on a lower deck to minimize any movement.

Have a wonderful cruise and let us know what you decide!! :)

HI- Our granddaughter gets very sick. We have bought the sea bands for her and myself. It is only a pressure point on your wrist. It is strange but it works. You can get them just about anywhere, Walmart,etc. in the health and beauty aids, just ask. You wear both on your wrist and they work. For adults, if you have bad motion sickness get the patch, trans derm scope. You wear it behind your ear, no lotion, it will come off. It is a time release, they are used for cancer patients. It says to change every 3 days, mine works for 7. I started years ago thinking the more the better, not. I decided I would try to see how long it would work. On the 7th evening I started to feel a little strange, changed it and within 30 minutes I was fine.Now everyone is different, but it should last several days. Take it off when you shower and lay it upright, then after you have dried your hair, etc. it will restick. Mine always comes in a box of 4, you will have to get from your doctor. I would be so sick they wouldn't be able to pay me to cruise, they really work well. You will be fine!!

Happy Cruising,

Mary:)

You have chosen a good room. We've done Eastern and Western and there are ports on both we like and ports we dislike. You will have a great time on either itinerary. The ship is fantastic. Get the seabands or the little patch that goes behind the ear. We don't use them, but see them on people all over the ship. Enjoy your vacation.

My husband is a little leery about seasickness so we've booked a promenade room - We're hoping the big window overlooking the promenade should help the room feel more spacious - Deck 6 and midship.

I'd check what is directly below the cabin. There are stories of cabins on deck 6 hearing noise from promenade deck 5. If you can switch to deck 7 or 8, I recommend it.

I'd check what is directly below the cabin. There are stories of cabins on deck 6 hearing noise from promenade deck 5. If you can switch to deck 7 or 8, I recommend it.

Right now we are above A Close Shave. I understand that will change when the ship goes into dry dock and that shop will be replaced w/ the Cupcake cCupboard. Not sure how that will impact us.

The only PR cabins avail right now on 7 or 8 are right next to the elevator and I don't think I want to be there - worried about noise. I been there in hotels and it was annoying.

My husband is a little leery about seasickness so we've booked a promenade room - We're hoping the big window overlooking the promenade should help the room feel more spacious - Deck 6 and midship.

I had to comment on the choice of the promenade cabins. BUT THIS IS JUST MY OPINION....

I chose this in March on Liberty of the Seas and was VERY DISAPPOINTED. My reason was this... even though I always book a single (and end up paying the double) I had thought this cabin would save me $$.

Well, the cabin is MUCH smaller than I expected, even compared to regular inside.

I prefer being able to look out a window at sea...This is why I will pay extra for an outside...(at least I can tell whether it's day or night)...

The windows are NOT private... people could see into the cabin from below AND from across the promenade. Unless you like being a 'performer'.. I would not recommend this cabin. If you end up keeping the curtains closed (as I did) a regular inside is the probably better.

Had I not tried these cabins I would always have wondered...

Enjoy the cruise no matter....

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts."

Mark Twain

:cool:

Archived