A First-Time Princess Cruiser's Review of the Emerald Princess

Debbierpof

Saw this guy praying every morning to his horn: ???

He carried it everywhere:

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

Looks like a Jewish Shofar to me, although that shirt makes me a quite skeptical. A Shofar is a ram's horn that is blown at the High Holy Day services. There are four seperate calls that are made. (I can hear some of them in my head, but don't know how to translate them into words for you to hear.) Anyway, some Temples will hire a professional to blow the Shofar, others will have one of the congregation do it.

Thanks for the photos--- so many memories---and some new sights, also

Really enjoyed them--I've been looking at photos rather than doing all the paper work here on the desk.

Nancy:D:D

Have really been enjoying your review! We sail on the emerald week of Sept 12th. Must admit we are two for two on the Chefs table and wasn't going for it this time. However after seeing your pics may just have to change my mind!!

Enjoying this pictorial review so much!! Can't wait to read and see the rest!! Thank you so much for taking the time.

Best review I've ever read on CC message boards. :) And the photography is amazing. Like you have your own professional photographer. :cool: Can't wait for more!

Thanks for an excellent review, can't wait for our 3 days in Orlando, then 10 days Eastern Caribean on Emerald in March!

Stop by and join the rollcall:):)

I am loving this thread and ALL the great pictures.

We are hoping for the CT too on the Emerald in March

Thats it. Hope you enjoyed.

Deb thanks for letting me add to your review. :)

Keith - I saw you walk in almost right after we were seated for dinner that last night. And we kept our eye out for the Liberty, but we were no where near the window so I'm glad you took a picture! I'm determined to get back on the Emerald -- I missed soooo much! It's really a wonderful ship. :D

Keith - I saw you walk in almost right after we were seated for dinner that last night. And we kept our eye out for the Liberty, but we were no where near the window so I'm glad you took a picture! I'm determined to get back on the Emerald -- I missed soooo much! It's really a wonderful ship. :D

Yes I agree! It ranks up there as one of the best! :D

Looks like a Jewish Shofar to me, although that shirt makes me a quite skeptical. A Shofar is a ram's horn that is blown at the High Holy Day services. There are four seperate calls that are made. (I can hear some of them in my head, but don't know how to translate them into words for you to hear.) Anyway, some Temples will hire a professional to blow the Shofar, others will have one of the congregation do it.

Thanks I never knew that. :)

GRAND CAYMAN

And then it was time to arrive at the port with the clearest water… Grand Cayman. We ate a great breakfast in the dining room and headed to the tenders.

4870527342_41c9833f36.jpg

4870527176_f521fa6d32.jpg

4870527038_d96e02e31e.jpg

On this day we went with Plan B. “What was Plan A?”, you may ask… well, I had reserved a mini-van with Avis and we were going to Rum Point Beach and then fet on the glass bottom boat and snorkel at Sting Ray City – it was a great deal. $125 for the day that included gas (no need to fill up when returning), insurance, pick-up, permit and tax!!! Hard to beat! But the others in our group did not want to go this route (last minute). So once in George Town, a very nice vendor in the straw market allowed me to use his cell phone to call Avis. I was able to cancel with no problem. I’d recommend them to anyone!

So Plan B. We were just going to stick around George Town for the day. Two years ago, we were there and pretty much did the same thing. Our goal for the day was to snorkel as much as possible. Once off, we headed straight for the Eden Rock Dive Shop just a few blocks away from the tender area (to the right if facing the town). It’s a great place because you can rent a locker for $10 (they return $5 when you return the key), have access to an outside shower, and easy access to the reefs. We brought our own equipment (some which we bought at Eden Rock in 2008), got our gear on, and headed into the water. I love this place! The water is incredibly clear and the marine life is there the moment you start going into the water. Sea urchin and crabs are easy to spot before you have even entered the water. And then there’s the other marine life around you… During this trip, I made the decision to get recertified in SCUBA diving. It’s been 20+ years since I last went diving, and being in these waters just really made me want to! Even if it is Shark Week!

So what did we see??? I'll leave the best for last! But here's a picture of me, my DH, SIL & BIL at Eden Rock.

4869944331_eb0ec294b3.jpg

I'll be back! Watching the Football Hall of Fame... :)

Few folks bother to explore the area outside of the Princess Cays fence.

It is a very nice walk past the private (non-Princess) shops outside the gate and then by the lagoon and on up the main road.

To exit and re-enter the Princess Cays area, you need only show your cruise card.

P&J

The private shopping area has been there as long as Princess Cays has been there.

And here we go...

Blue Parrotfish and Yellowtail Damsel Fish (yellow & black fish):

4870604332_8c1cf562b4.jpg

A beautiful flamingo tongue...

4869992501_b18b204a3d.jpg

My DH looking at some reef -- notice the little Bluehead fish...

4870034077_71601811f2.jpg

Spotlight Parrotfish (they are in different stages) and some Blue Tang:

4870645580_be9c962e28.jpg

A nice Caribbean Reef Squid -- they are amazing to watch!

4870033555_60b61b74d6.jpg

A Doctorfish and others on the Eden Rock reef...

4870032933_ae93fd8e3d.jpg

Now, I know this isn't much of a review but I really thought you'd like to see these last few pictures of the marine life at Eden Rock Reef (Grand Cayman)

Cowfish:

4870033391_b705f071be.jpg

Hmm... what is this? Doesn't seem like much...

4870072213_f5530628bd.jpg

Oh, wait... I recognize that little Fairy Basslet fish...

4870644602_f2a11ce9f6.jpg

Wow! That's an octopus that has strategically placed itself in a reef formation, ready to feed!!! Notice the beak to the left of the fish and then the white suction cups! Amazing!!! The little Fairy Basslet didn't seem to be the prey.

4870644536_582ef1bab4.jpg

Few folks bother to explore the area outside of the Princess Cays fence.

It is a very nice walk past the private (non-Princess) shops outside the gate and then by the lagoon and on up the main road.

To exit and re-enter the Princess Cays area, you need only show your cruise card.

P&J

The private shopping area has been there as long as Princess Cays has been there.

My DH and I actually wondered if the snorkeling may have been better on that side... the water was crystal clear! We love to explore outside the lines! ;)

Now, I know this isn't much of a review but I really thought you'd like to see these last few pictures of the marine life at Eden Rock Reef (Grand Cayman)

Cowfish:

4870033391_b705f071be.jpg

Hmm... what is this? Doesn't seem like much...

4870072213_f5530628bd.jpg

Oh, wait... I recognize that little Fairy Basslet fish...

4870644602_f2a11ce9f6.jpg

Wow! That's an octopus that has strategically placed itself in a reef formation, ready to feed!!! Notice the beak to the left of the fish and then the white suction cups! Amazing!!! The little Fairy Basslet didn't seem to be the prey.

4870644536_582ef1bab4.jpg

Lol did you just realize it was a octupus? It is hard to make out. The close up confirmed it. Great pics. Plan to do some snorkeling at Princes Cays on our trip aboard Emerald on August 29th.

Archived