Booking through TA or Travel Site?

jeska00

Hi,

We're getting ready to book and I've been scouring the internet for good deals on our cruise we want to take next spring. This is also our first cruise.

What I'm finding is that my area's travel agents' sites have our desired stateroom listed about $100 cheaper than the cruiseline's website and like $75-$100 onboard credit deals too. BUT on a travel site (I'm not sure if I can name names - but think gnome) I have found this cruise for $300 cheaper and 15% off excursions. Has anyone booked their cruise through an online travel site? Would you recommend it over a travel agent? Did you have any issues?

Thanks!

Hello! For your first time I would highly recommend a travel agent since they can answer questions for whatever and even show u things u won't be able to online or over phone. We went with travel agent and that went smooth! Good luck on who u decide to go with

No, you aren't allowed to post the names of TAs. There are many, many threads discussing using a TA versus booking yourself. And, answers are about evenly split. Do what works best for you, but be aware that if you use a TA, the cruiseline will not discuss any issues directly with you. Also, check out exactly what your TA will do for you, and if there are any fees if you want to transfer your booking later.

Forgot to mention that with a travel agent u would more likely be able to squeeze in an onboard credit. The cruiseline usually wont tell you about them. That's what i've heard from the truly experienced cruisers!!

I have booked cruises with agents and on my own. I have found that some advertised rates shown my agents are always available. Most cruise lines now allow you to book right with them and they guarantee the rate. If you book directly with the cruise line you are getting information first hand. I've been called back by cruise lines and given upgrades at times. That never happened with agents.

Agents are paid a fee by the cruise line. Most other forms of travel no longer compensate agents (like airlines). You normally can find some great deals on the internet. Try checking for last minute deals and also for hot deals the cruise lines are running.

My 2 cents and we've cruised about 20+ times. Have Fun :)

Smart-Travelers

www.*****

Many times you will get ship board credits and/or tips. On line sites you can also call them. If the price drops until final, you will have to watch each day, you can call them and you are given a credit. Last year we received a 300.00 credit. So, check with the cruise line and see their policy and the t.a. Don't jump until you are sure, we have done this for 17 years and you can get a deal.

Mary

We have always used on line for years and have gotten great deals. Look at a lot of them. The credit works if the cruise line drops the price, and that happens many times, you can get a credit. It used to be until 72 hours before. Now, it is either final or 48 hours after I read. You can call your t.a. and tell them the price has dropped. They will verify and you will get a credit. All of these sites we have used you can call them. The one we have used this time for Nov. has already upgraded us. Check the ships out and what they offer, for what you are looking for. Some of the newer ones are awesome. They are well organized, even the mega, especially those, they have to be. Ask everyone questions and go to different boards. When you do choose, register on that board for your cruise and party. You will meet many and they can help you. Ask away, we wil all try to help. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I am a hybrid. I will look online at a variety of sites (including the cruise line I am thinking of using) then call my travel agent; I maybe unusual in that I have used the same agency for 16 years. They were our corporate travel agency then our company out grew them yet I continued to use them personally. I like that I have one agent who knows me and my family yet the other staff members know me as well as the owners. They know my preferences and will make recommendation on what is best for me. I look at it in the same vain as my insurance agent she is an independent agent so she can shop what is best for me as opposed to the captive insurance agent can offer from one company.

All I can say is that on our last cruise we had an issue on Saturday the day of the cruise (caused by our child) amd it was nice to call from the car to some one who knew me without the last 4 of my SS# mom’s maiden name & blood type

I think it all boils down to personal preference. At the end of the call or e-mail who gives you the biggest warm and fuzzy feeling.

Archived