Amtrak train from orlando to Tamps??

Eva65

There are a number of issues that could prevent an Amtrak trip from arriving on time and especially in Florida. Depending on the time of year you are travelling and whatever pop-up Tropical Storm or Hurricane happens to be hitting Florida at the time, any wildfires that seem common in Summer months that spread smoke across the state and block/delay highway and rail traffic, even something as uncommon as Amtrak hitting a car trying to beat the train across a crossing can delay a train for hours while an investigation takes place. As short of a distance as that is why not take an early morning Greyhound bus, or even Amtrak over the day before and stay in a downtown hotel? I am sure living in Orlando you have been to Tampa many times but the area around where the ship docks is full of things to do.

Do you actually live in Florida?

I do, and 15 years later I can honestly say that I haver never been effected by a TS or hurricane, a wild fire, etc.... I was able to fly out to my job assignments on time (over 2M miles in ~10 years).

There are many reasons to advize against Amtrak travel (although I don't have any), but to say that Florida is some wild territory that will prevent any transportation company from operating on time is ridiculous.... at best!

Does California have the same issues? with the wildfires, earthquakes, mud slides, etc? People still get to their destinations, and mosty likely on time, don't they?

Come on people!!!! It is only a train ride from Orlando to Tampa. This is a short trip and I am sure that you will be okay for this trip. Look at like an adventure. This train is on time. Enjoy your trip.

The first leg of my trip a few years ago was a short one - should have only been a 2 hour ride and a friend was picking me up in Charlottesville for the evening before we went on to Baltimore the next day. We were 7 hours late.

Someone suggested calling Amtrak. I did this and was told 2 hours late. Called again just before leaving home and told still only 2 house late. Then spent 5 hours sitting at a deserted train station waiting for a train. :( This was one of those unstaffed stops with a room and a couple chairs. Kind of scary.

Do you actually live in Florida?

I do, and 15 years later I can honestly say that I haver never been effected by a TS or hurricane, a wild fire, etc.... I was able to fly out to my job assignments on time (over 2M miles in ~10 years).

There are many reasons to advize against Amtrak travel (although I don't have any), but to say that Florida is some wild territory that will prevent any transportation company from operating on time is ridiculous.... at best!

Does California have the same issues? with the wildfires, earthquakes, mud slides, etc? People still get to their destinations, and mosty likely on time, don't they?

the hour and half will not bother me, like someone said it would be an adventure. I guess there are risk involved on anything. If we rent a car, would we be delayed and miss the ship, if we flew could they get delayed and miss the ship and if we got a towncar would an accident prevent us from getting to the ship.

I think this is a risk i am going have to take. I can not rent a car due to no credit card, there are no planes going from orlando to tampa and we are really short of cash for the town car.

I was looking for other suggestions was really hoping for a shuttle bus that goes between the two cities, but I have not been able to find them. If any one car think of anything please let me know.

the hour and half will not bother me, like someone said it would be an adventure. I guess there are risk involved on anything. If we rent a car, would we be delayed and miss the ship, if we flew could they get delayed and miss the ship and if we got a towncar would an accident prevent us from getting to the ship.

I think this is a risk i am going have to take. I can not rent a car due to no credit card, there are no planes going from orlando to tampa and we are really short of cash for the town car.

I was looking for other suggestions was really hoping for a shuttle bus that goes between the two cities, but I have not been able to find them. If any one car think of anything please let me know.

You may want to look at www.connect2cruise.com or something similar.

it's not that the train being late would bother you, it might just keep you from getting to the pier in time to be checked in according to homeland security guidelines....

seems that amtrak is your only option....

try this maybe

http://www.centralfloridashuttle.com/

http://www.floridatransportationservices.com/

https://www.tforlando.com/ondemand/orlando_to_tampa.htm

Do you have a debit card with your checking act.? Just go to your bank & get one if not. These can be used to secure things such as your auto tips on ship OR the rental car. Whats with the town car? Just rent a regular car/minivan like the rest of us. Amtrak can be a bad way to ruin a trip start. Dont forget Greyhound.

Do you have a debit card with your checking act.? Just go to your bank & get one if not. These can be used to secure things such as your auto tips on ship OR the rental car. Whats with the town car? Just rent a regular car/minivan like the rest of us. Amtrak can be a bad way to ruin a trip start. Dont forget Greyhound.

yes I have a debit card, but no credit card. I thought you needed a credit card to rent car. Plus because of unexpected expenses this month, we are trying to budget this trip and do the cheapest things we can do.

We have decided to leave Disney one day early and stay in Tampa for the night. So now no worries if the train is running late.

Amtrak can not too bad for 2 hours, iWe have never done amtrak so new experience for us. We have done Greyhound, which I really would not mind for 2 hours. Amtrak station is closer for the cab ride in orlando.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Most car rental companies won't allow you to rent with a card tied to your checking account (even if it has the visa/mastercard logo.) Car rentals put a pretty hefty hold on the account in case of damages or non-return which ties up money in your bank account on top of what the rental costs.

To the OP - so glad you got it worked out!

Sorry to indicate we live in Orlando, we live in Arkansas. We are flying into Tampa, going to Disney and then on a cruise. Trying to find the cheapest way without renting a car. The ride is only 1 1/2 hours so it couldn't be too bad. Any suggestions? a towncar is almost $200 each way.

Google some of these and see what their rates are. Most of them you have to provide a general to specific pick-up point and drop off location.

I know friends, coworkers and friends of coworkers who have used each of these with success to get around the central Florida area.

Super Shuttle

Central Florida Shuttle

Florida Sunshine Shuttle

Blue One Transportation

Also.... a little 'out there' suggestion to consider if you have plans to visit Busch Gardens (in Tampa) and or sister park Sea World (in Orlando)....they offer some type of low cost shuttle service between the two, but I'm not sure about the logistics of using the shuttle service on a day you don't plan to visit the park and obviously you'd still have to get transportation (taxi) from Busch Gardens to the port. :confused: Worth considering if you are wanting to visit either of those parks in addition to or instead of Disney.

Good luck!

We are getting ready for our 8th trip on Amtrak with kids from NJ To Miami. We have traveled in sleepers and coach over the years. Sleepers are much better than coach, but coach is a good value for the price you pay. Most times we were within 2 hours of being late or on-time. The worst case scenario was a few years back..36 hours on the train due to tropical storm,,ran out of food..etc.. it was an unpleasant experience, but still manageable. Kids like it and we spend good quality time together. Always leave a day early to be sure and buy trip insurance. Beats driving and cheaper than flying..:)

I also use a website that lists forecasts by AMtrak routes and specializes on tropical weather. I think you will find it very useful for traveling

www.travelweather.weebly.com

Archived