Sharks in the Waters around the Galapagos

greyhound101

If you have snorkeled or dived in the waters around the Galapagos Islands I would like to hear about your experiences and the possibility of an encounter with aggressive sharks. We are visiting the Galapagos in June of 2011 and try to decide if we want to participate in snorkeling.

Thank you in advance.

If you have snorkeled or dived in the waters around the Galapagos Islands I would like to hear about your experiences and the possibility of an encounter with aggressive sharks. We are visiting the Galapagos in June of 2011 and try to decide if we want to participate in snorkeling.
We went snorkeling & swimming almost daily during our 7-nite cruise on Galapagos. We encountered hammerhead sharks on several of the Islands. They stayed very deep in the water & were not harmful or aggressive to us. All the same, it was a heart-stopping experience. Swimming with sea lions was actually scarier for me. They were very frisky and had a tendency to lunge towards my face & then disappear below me. I was terrified! But after a while I caught on & realized they were simply playing hide & seek. To this day, snorkeling with gigantic sea turtles and swimming with hammerhead sharks are among my treasured travel memories.

I thank you for your response. This is what I wanted to hear. If I may ask who did you tour the Galapagos with. We are using Ecoventura which I read about on these boards. Thanks.

We were on Ecoventura MV Letty and loved it! Read my cruise notes for details.

If I may ask who did you tour the Galapagos with. We are using Ecoventura which I read about on these boards.

We went to Galapagos in April/05 on MV Eric operated by Ecoventura. The pax/naturalist ratio was excellent & they were quite progressive in eco-technologies. This was not luxury cruising but the food & accommodation were certainly acceptable. You’ll remember the overall experience more than the yacht.

A little tip – wear a wetsuit when you snorkel/swim. MV Eric had a full range of various weight & length wetsuits available for pax use. I wore a long wetsuit every time I went in the water, even though the water temps were quite warm. It gave me added confidence to face the frisky sea lions & the dour hammerheads. Not to mention excellent sun protection from the equatorial rays. Have fun!

I am planning to buy a wet skin, the problem with the wet suit is I am 5'3 and the small suit is geared for someone 5'5. I have to check and see what the woman's sizes run. I may have no choice but to only go in a wet skin. Thanks for the information.

Dileep, I emailed them and they don't have a suit in my size. I am going to visit a local dive shop and see if I can rent one that will fit me. Not going until June of 2011 so I have plenty of time to figure it all out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Archived