Are powerstrips still allowed?

ramrax4

I thought I read a post that stated powerstrips are confiscated from your checked bags:(and are no longer allowed, I hope this isn't the case:eek:

There just aren't enough plugs in the cabin for the camera, phone, camcorder, etc.

Just off the Conquest and no problem using my power "strip". It could plug in 3 things and a USB port. See -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/189-0595109-7823009?a=B0017HF3XO

I made sure it was unplugged when I left the cabin and it was never an issue. Responsibly use and you will be fine. Mostly used it for camera, computer recharging and curling iron.

Packed it in my carryon

*Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark. *

The key word here is IF..if they are determined to pose a hazard....Im taking my power strip just like always.

Officially not allowed. May or may not be confiscated. Carnival has a record of inconsistency regarding enforcement of their policies.

Officially, they ARE allowed. John Heald and I fought this battle several months ago and common sense won out.

As others have posted, as long as your power strip presents no fire hazard it is allowed.

:)

Just got off Glory this past Thursday. Had power strip in my carry on. No problems. (didn't hide it - it was sitting right there.) Had it on the cabin countertop the whole time plugged in - no problems.

As others have posted, as long as your power strip presents no fire hazard it is allowed.

Power strips are always a fire hazard, especially those without a built-in circuit breaker. Wouldn't surprise me if that (existence of circuit breaker) was the deciding factor in whether a power strip is confiscated or not.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/library/power_strip_info.pdf

http://graphic.pepperdine.edu/news/2003/2003-10-30-hazard.htm

http://www.compliance.gov/forms-pubs/eresources/fastfacts_extensioncords.pdf

http://www.compliance.gov/forms-pubs/eresources/fastfacts_daisychains.pdf

I thought I read a post that stated powerstrips are confiscated from your checked bags:(and are no longer allowed, I hope this isn't the case:eek:

There just aren't enough plugs in the cabin for the camera, phone, camcorder, etc.

Why do you need all that stuff plugged in at once? You are not doing the batteries any favors and in fact are setting them up to hold less of a charge. Do not leave things that you are charging plugged in any longer than is necessary to charge them and always drain the batteries before recharging (I know this is not true on some new devices, but is generally the best way to proceed).

Just off the Conquest and no problem using my power "strip". It could plug in 3 things and a USB port. See -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/189-0595109-7823009?a=B0017HF3XO

I made sure it was unplugged when I left the cabin and it was never an issue. Responsibly use and you will be fine. Mostly used it for camera, computer recharging and curling iron.

Packed it in my carryon

Thanks for the link. I saw this before on CC but I waited and couldn't remember who made it. Just ordered one for the cruise.

One of the above posters cited the official Carnival answer. Personal experience no issue on our Victory sailing in June/July.

As others have said....inconsistent.

We lost ours from our checked luggage on the Victory at the port of San Juan. Got called to the naughty room....appeal to a supervisor - no....another higher than that....still no...it was brand new and still had a tag on it....still no.....unplugged our TV to get extra outlets we needed.......

......try it but be aware you could loose it. We hid it better when we went on the Dream...and had no problem. We didn't even use it except to charge something with a plug that had a shape that blocked it from being plugged into the one outlet on the desk that is so close to the desk there is no clearance.......As for the TV outlets on the Dream....screen is mounted to the wall and no way to use the TV outlet anymore.

As others have said....inconsistent.

We lost ours from our checked luggage on the Victory at the port of San Juan. Got called to the naughty room....appeal to a supervisor - no....another higher than that....still no...it was brand new and still had a tag on it....still no.....unplugged our TV to get extra outlets we needed.......

......try it but be aware you could loose it. We hid it better when we went on the Dream...and had no problem. We didn't even use it except to charge something with a plug that had a shape that blocked it from being plugged into the one outlet on the desk that is so close to the desk there is no clearance.......As for the TV outlets on the Dream....screen is mounted to the wall and no way to use the TV outlet anymore.

Looking at your list of sailings it appears that your cruise on the Victory was last year. All of this came about in the last few months. Every ship has the same information so the treatment is consistent. Indeed, that was one of the good things that came out of this debacle...

I copied and pasted this from John's blog today. The way I read it, power strips are not allowed.

From John's Blog today.

The power strip issue has been much documented here in great length. I have been in a guest cabin and tried to charge my laptop and my raspberry etc and it’s tough to do when there is only one power socket. But this is the world of safety and high visibility jackets and this regulation is here to stay and just like hotels do not………so we won’t be loaning out power strips. I am grateful to you though for writing and for your obvious Carnival loyalty. I hope you tell me before you sail again so I can send the Bedwetters a little gift. What will you get …….. mmmm…… Depends.

Why do you need all that stuff plugged in at once? You are not doing the batteries any favors and in fact are setting them up to hold less of a charge. Do not leave things that you are charging plugged in any longer than is necessary to charge them and always drain the batteries before recharging (I know this is not true on some new devices, but is generally the best way to proceed).

OK, so I should return to my cabin every 1.5 hours and unplug 1 device and plug in another? That doesn't sound like a vacation. That sounds like work..

Power strips are always a fire hazard, especially those without a built-in circuit breaker. Wouldn't surprise me if that (existence of circuit breaker) was the deciding factor in whether a power strip is confiscated or not.

Yea, that's it! Carnival is making sure the power strips have built-in circuit breakers! Are you serious?

No, sorry they are not allowed. Unless you have a medical need.

Excuse me? I brought a power strip and it was let through. Granted, it was new and still in the packaging.

I used it for my curling iron, blow dryer (which also made it through, although I bought a new one so they wouldn't think wires were frayed), flat iron, battery chargers, my husbands shaver and other things.

You can bring a power strip, just buy a new one. They're a buck 99 at Lowes. Did I need it? Yes.

Yea, that's it! Carnival is making sure the power strips have built-in circuit breakers! Are you serious?

Power strips with circuit breakers either have a switch on them (usually illuminated; the circuit breaker is in the switch) or have an obvious "reset" button sticking out of the top or the area where the cord comes out of the strip.

The presence or lack of a circuit breaker would be very obvious to even the briefest visual examination and would probably be visible even with the x-ray machine.

The thing that bothers me about this kind of thread is the thought that there are going to be a lot of passengers on my cruise who have deliberately and with malice aforethought broken the rules which are put in place for the safety of everyone.

Now, if the goal was to keep you from bringing your own power strip aboard so that the ship's store can sell you one of their own at a grossly inflated price (can you say beer, liquor, soda, wine?) then that would be something else entirely...

I copied and pasted this from John's blog today. The way I read it, power strips are not allowed.

From John's Blog today.

The power strip issue has been much documented here in great length. I have been in a guest cabin and tried to charge my laptop and my raspberry etc and it’s tough to do when there is only one power socket. But this is the world of safety and high visibility jackets and this regulation is here to stay and just like hotels do not………so we won’t be loaning out power strips. I am grateful to you though for writing and for your obvious Carnival loyalty. I hope you tell me before you sail again so I can send the Bedwetters a little gift. What will you get …….. mmmm…… Depends.

Excuse me? I brought a power strip and it was let through. Granted, it was new and still in the packaging.

I used it for my curling iron, blow dryer (which also made it through, although I bought a new one so they wouldn't think wires were frayed), flat iron, battery chargers, my husbands shaver and other things.

You can bring a power strip, just buy a new one. They're a buck 99 at Lowes. Did I need it? Yes.

I posted this just before your post. Did you see it??

It is like everything else that is smuggled onto the ship. Some will get through with it, some won't. But according to John, and his blog today. They aren't allowed.

Personnally, I don't care either way. I don't bring all those gadgets on vacation. The one plug they provide is all I need to charge my camera batteries!:D

Archived