Does Camp Carnival make exceptions?

Joaljoe

We were suppose to cruise with the kids last year when they were 6 & 8, which would've been great because they'd be in the same group at Camp Carnival. We couldn't go so we'll be going this upcoming Feb instead. They will be 7 & 9 instead making them be in separate groups.

I think they'll be okay. But my concern is with my younger one. He's pretty shy and prefers to be with his older sister. At school he does fine, and he does do karate on his own so I'm thinking he'll be just fine. BUT, if he's not and wants to be with his sister would Carnival allow her to join the younger group instead? She wouldn't mind being with the younger ones and would do anything to make her brother happy.

I did have a conversation with both of them and explained how it works. My daughter jumped and was really excited but my son gave me this look and just said "yeah, it's okay". Which is making me think that once we're there he may not want to stay there with kids he doesn't know. Although, he's really excited about all the activities and games!

So I don't know... I just want to see if I have options just in case.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

Thanks! :)

There are always exceptions and you can certainly ask at the camp. I have heard them moving kids if there is only a month or so age difference but generally they are pretty hard on the rule - but again, if there are not many kids sometimes they will also do it. I think they are a little more lenient with the younger groups but hard and fast with older ones. But be sure to ask.

I could bet a whole years wages that your 7 year old will not be able to move up to the 9-11 year olds- thats just too much of an age difference.

You could put your 9 year old in the 6-8 year old program but it doesnt sound really fair to the 9 year old to do that. 9-11 year olds can sign them selves in and out of the program with your permission.

Theyhave ship wide scavenger hunts for them- plus the all nighter sleep party.

Since he does well in school and in his own activities I would keep them seperated and allow them to do their own activities.

If you are projecting these same anxieties on to the kids, no wonder you have the situation you do (of which I think you are creating). Put them in the correct age groups, then if there is a problem make changes.

No, the kids definitely don't know what my concerns are. I know that would make it worse. I'm working it up big time!! :)

I'm planning on signing them up into separate groups, where they belong. Just wanted to see my options in case he hates it. I wouldn't want to move him up to the older group and my daughter doesn't care what group she's in... so I'd move her down if need be.

Like I said, I don't think there will be any issues but want to know I have an option just in case. It's our first time vacationing with the kids.... can you tell?? Hahaha

They're in different grades at school and function ok, so it should be the same at camp. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Our two oldest were in different age groups a couple of cruises ago and they both had a great time in their respective groups.

No, the kids definitely don't know what my concerns are. I know that would make it worse. I'm working it up big time!! :)

I'm planning on signing them up into separate groups, where they belong. Just wanted to see my options in case he hates it. I wouldn't want to move him up to the older group and my daughter doesn't care what group she's in... so I'd move her down if need be.

Like I said, I don't think there will be any issues but want to know I have an option just in case. It's our first time vacationing with the kids.... can you tell?? Hahaha

Just tell them it will be like school and they will be in different classes.

I think it is wrong to deny the older child fun in her age group because you are worried about the younger brother. If the older sister was not around what would he do?

Dont worry about your son,kids are way more resiliaqnt than us grown folks:)

We took my grandson, a shy,only child on his first cruise last year.Took him to CC the first night with a promise that we would return in one hour,and if he didnt like it,he didnt have to go back.

Went back to get him, and he begged to stay.He made so many friends there.Its amazing how they handle things.Before you know it,he was asking to eat dinner with his new friends, said he could eat with us anytime.

This year,he couldnt wait to get back to CC. Relax, its their vacation too, and they will suprise you. Good luck, and have a great time

I have been around many kids, and the one thing I learned is that it's the parent that worries, and not the kid. It's not fair for the older kid to sit around with a bunch of "babies" so to speak, just like the younger kid, will only be in the way with the older crowd. They go to school, play sports, have separate friends, and will be fine on the ship. They will have many opportunities to do things together, and many opportunities to meet kids their own age, just like at school. My advice is not to worry, and let the kids work it out, and learn on their own.

Since you didn't ask for parenting advice, I'll just try to answer your question. :) They are quite strict about the age groups and very likely won't let you move either child into a different group.

If they did, it would be up to the Camp director once you are on board. Since you are cruising in February there will probably be fewer children on board which might work in your favor.

If you call Carnival they will tell you no. When you get on the boat go up to Camp Carnival and ask them. Last year my daughter had just turned 12, but felt more comfortable with the 9-11 year olds rather then the teens. They didn't have a problem with this change of group and she had a great time!

My daughter was less than three months shy of her 9th birthday on our last cruise, her first. She found that the activities in the 6-8 year old group were a little too young for her (she's a bit mature for her age) so we asked if it was possible to move her up to the next age group.

Even though it was a spring break cruise and the ship was FULL of kids, they didn't bat an eye at letting her move up. In the end, she preferred to hang with us or her grandparents, which was fine with her, but it was nice to know that the option was available.

Now, that's not saying that on every ship on every sailing they are as flexible with age groups as they were on our sailing, but it is possible. I suspect that you will only know for sure once you are onboard.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise, however it plays out.

That type of thinking seems to teach your boy that he'll get what he wants despite how it affects others. One function a school or camp environment teaches is social interaction which sometimes involves meeting new people and making new friends. Let him have fun with kids his age.

We were suppose to cruise with the kids last year when they were 6 & 8, which would've been great because they'd be in the same group at Camp Carnival. We couldn't go so we'll be going this upcoming Feb instead. They will be 7 & 9 instead making them be in separate groups.

I think they'll be okay. But my concern is with my younger one. He's pretty shy and prefers to be with his older sister. At school he does fine, and he does do karate on his own so I'm thinking he'll be just fine. BUT, if he's not and wants to be with his sister would Carnival allow her to join the younger group instead? She wouldn't mind being with the younger ones and would do anything to make her brother happy.

I did have a conversation with both of them and explained how it works. My daughter jumped and was really excited but my son gave me this look and just said "yeah, it's okay". Which is making me think that once we're there he may not want to stay there with kids he doesn't know. Although, he's really excited about all the activities and games!

Good luck to you - I wish you the best! I'm hoping to take my kids on their FIRST cruise next year - they will be 6 and 8 years old at the time we cruise. Please let me know how it goes. I would be VERY interested in hearing how they enjoyed it. :D

D

While exceptions are made if the age is a borderline thing....(3 months or less)

Carnival will not move a 7 year old into the 9-11.

Both children will have a wonderful time in their own age group!!

My two boys did for years!!!

OP-

Sounds like you have a good plan and know your kids.

This is supposed to be a fun vacation...not a stress time for your son.

It seems like other people just can't refrain from giving you advice you didn't ask for.

My son was a shy quiet kid...and when I let "other people" tell me what to do it just exacerbated the situation.

Try it separately...and if your son is uncomfortable, see if they will change it. Believe me, the day camp isn't going to want an unhappy child if they can correct the situation.

They refused to put my 8 almost 9 year old with the 9 - 11 year olds and one time she was left playing with mostly 6 year olds (it was insane). Then my teenager tells me there are 11 year olds in her group. My wife blew a casket and they claimed the 11 year olds in the teen club were just showing up but not really in the teen group - yea we believe that..... One of the 11 year olds did a teen excursion too with my daughter. 9 - 11 year old usually run all over the ship - putting a 9 year old in with her younger sister usually isn't the best idea and unless they really have a need for someone else in the younger group they will probably not do it. Disney never would, we used to take them all the time when we had 4 at home. We stopped taking our college age kids (tution is enough).

At the time of my cruise, my toddler will be shy of his 2 year old b-day by 1 and 1/2 month...my 14 yo step daughter shy of turning 15 by 1 month. Does anyone have experience with Carnival being able to take the 22 month old in the 2 year old group? & my soon to be 15 year old bumped in with the next age group? (it is after all her "quince" sweet 15 cruise)????

Thanks for any responses.

They are very strict about the 2 year olds. I believe they have to be 2. Any younger and they will not take them.

Candi

I haven't used it but I thought I also read that they have to be potty trained. I may be mistaken on this though.

Archived