Significance of Senior Crew

Sauer-kraut

Not posting this to be snarky, honest!

I was just wondering why some people ask who will the ship's master be on a certain ship. Or, who will be the master on their sailing. Do these people know the captains personally and want to renew aquaintances? Its not only over here on the NCL boards but I follow Cunard as well and its a common theme over there as well. Does it really matter?

Since I don't cruise much at all I can only remember two captains one was a family friend and gave me a string of pearls when I was six. The second was the captain on the container ship we sailed down to Fiji, and granny and I were seated at his table. Wasn't a big deal because it only sat 5 people and there were only 8 passengers total on the sailing. :)

I was just wondering why some people ask who will the ship's master be on a certain ship. Or, who will be the master on their sailing. Do these people know the captains personally and want to renew aquaintances? Its not only over here on the NCL boards but I follow Cunard as well and its a common theme over there as well. Does it really matter?

Since I don't cruise much at all I can only remember two captains one was a family friend and gave me a string of pearls when I was six. The second was the captain on the container ship we sailed down to Fiji, and granny and I were seated at his table. Wasn't a big deal because it only sat 5 people and there were only 8 passengers total on the sailing. :)

Speaking for myself, I have come to know 2 or 3 Captain's and enjoy renewing "friendships". Other Captains are "notorious" for being very popular with their crew and thus leading very happy and energetic ships.

PE

Well there was this one captain that drove really fast & swerved in & out of traffic.... it was a hold-on-to-your-hat ride, and...... I loved it. Hoping to cruise with him again. :p

Well there was this one captain that drove really fast & swerved in & out of traffic.... it was a hold-on-to-your-hat ride, and...... I loved it. Hoping to cruise with him again. :p

Wow! Sounds like my kind of cruise. :D

Thanks P.E. for the answer, I guess I never really thought of the Captain as getting to know his passengers (mingling with the masses...)

Wow! Sounds like my kind of cruise. :D

Thanks P.E. for the answer, I guess I never really thought of the Captain as getting to know his passengers (mingling with the masses...)

There are some that absolutely love the mingling and others that are terrified of it.

PE

The Captain can make a huge difference in the morale of the crew. On one of my cruises, I vividly remember my senior room steward telling me all about "Captain Tommy" and what a great guy he was. The junior steward (who was still working on her English) just listened in and nodded emphatically. Both of them got these big beatific grins on their faces every time they heard his name.

We'd see the Captain walk into a room from time-to-time throughout the cruise. The crew would relax and smile, and if possible, turn to watch him.

The Captain can make a huge difference in the morale of the crew. On one of my cruises, I vividly remember my senior room steward telling me all about "Captain Tommy" and what a great guy he was. The junior steward (who was still working on her English) just listened in and nodded emphatically. Both of them got these big beatific grins on their faces every time they heard his name.

We'd see the Captain walk into a room from time-to-time throughout the cruise. The crew would relax and smile, and if possible, turn to watch him.

This is a common reaction to a good supervisor. You see it with not only the Captain, but with other officers. When you get to know these people, it is easy to understand why the crew responds so well to them. They are the same with guests, and they make you like them !!

That is what generates the question about who will be on the sailing. You can anticipate a very pleasant trip with some, and knowing ahead of time is uplifting.

Senior Officers can make or break a cruise for you - even if you do not know them.

If you do get to know them; most live in exotic places and have been everywhere a thousand times. The stories they can tell you will have you talking for months.

If you get to know them well, many doors are suddenly opened to you.

Cocktails on the Captain's Cabin, dinner in the Hotel Manager's Cabin, up on the bridge for sailaway, a private tour of the engine control room.

You don't know what you're missing.

On a holiday cruise in South America, we were celebrating Christmas Eve in the main theatre. Caroling and such. Then they brought all the children on stage, all in Xmas finery. They sang a couple of songs, and then were made to sit down, facing the curtain. A moment later the Captain came out , sat down and read them "Night Before Christmas"

It was magical. On another NCL ship the Captain stands in the buffet every day at lunch, eating ice cream.

Senior Officers can make or break a cruise for you - even if you do not know them.

If you do get to know them; most live in exotic places and have been everywhere a thousand times. The stories they can tell you will have you talking for months.

If you get to know them well, many doors are suddenly opened to you.

Cocktails on the Captain's Cabin, dinner in the Hotel Manager's Cabin, up on the bridge for sailaway, a private tour of the engine control room.

You don't know what you're missing.

Can we be your friends?

p.s. I lived in San Francisco over 25 years.

Archived