Elegant nights on a 12 day cruise

Kathy0418

Tried to search to no avail. Does anyone know anything about elegant nights on a 12 day cruise. We have never gone longer than seven and are super excited. I've never been to Europe either. We are going on the Magic next May!

On any cruise over six days or over there are two Elegant Evenings...

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of Cruise Elegant evenings in the Dining Room. The first Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise; the second Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

1-day cruise: none

2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

:)

Quite possible there will be three on a 12 day-er. Carnival doesn't so many longer cruises, so don't adhere to the two a week tradition of other lines. But we did have three on the Dream TA last year (16 days). Perhaps someone who did the Dream in the Med. last summer can chime in and tell us...EM

On Carnival, there are never more than two, no matter what the length of the cruse. There were only two on the Dream crossing.

Here are the Capers from the Dream crossing:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/TA/Capers/index.htm

on the 12 day Med cruise before, there were also only 2. Here are those Capers:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/GrandMed/Capers/index.htm

Quite possible there will be three on a 12 day-er. Carnival doesn't so many longer cruises, so don't adhere to the two a week tradition of other lines. But we did have three on the Dream TA last year (16 days). Perhaps someone who did the Dream in the Med. last summer can chime in and tell us...EM

Incorrect. The maximum amount of Elegant nights on any Carnival cruise is 2.

Okay, now I am really confused. Though I have taken about 15 cruises on a number of the popular lines (CCL, RCC, NCL, HAL & Costa) our upcoming Magic 12 day Med next May is our first CCL in 4 years and my participation in the Cruise Critic Boards is a very recent thing. Anyway, everything I've been reading over the past two weeks talks about how casual dressing for dinner has become (particularly on CCL) and that even on formal nights most men don't even wear jackets in the MDR and women wear cruise casual. Part of me was disappointed (I have great formal clothes and do enjoying dressing up) but part of me was relieved (already trying to figure out how to pack for a 12 day with current airline baggage restrictions). Now, the discussions are back to questioning how many formal nights. Even though our trip is still quite a way off I'm trying to get a feel for the "tone" of the trip and can't. Is cruising in the Med significantly different than the Caribbean? Do people dress more or less casually on the longer trips? Is it because with ships as huge as the Dream and the Magic everyone will fit in no matter how they dress? I would appreciate some help here. Thanks in advance

There are a maximum of 2 elegant nights. On a 12 night cruise there are two. On a TA there are two.

Most of the passengers on Carnival are American, with obviously some Canadian. There will be a mix of fashion on elegant nights. There will be some in tuxes (still?!?), some in suits, some in sport coats and tie, some only sport coat, some only tie, etc....

There really is no right or wrong.

Airline restrictions are definitely a consideration and you will want room for souvenirs (maybe).

What other cruise lines (even in the Carnival family) do is irrelevant.

Okay, now I am really confused. Though I have taken about 15 cruises on a number of the popular lines (CCL, RCC, NCL, HAL & Costa) our upcoming Magic 12 day Med next May is our first CCL in 4 years and my participation in the Cruise Critic Boards is a very recent thing. Anyway, everything I've been reading over the past two weeks talks about how casual dressing for dinner has become (particularly on CCL) and that even on formal nights most men don't even wear jackets in the MDR and women wear cruise casual. Part of me was disappointed (I have great formal clothes and do enjoying dressing up) but part of me was relieved (already trying to figure out how to pack for a 12 day with current airline baggage restrictions). Now, the discussions are back to questioning how many formal nights. Even though our trip is still quite a way off I'm trying to get a feel for the "tone" of the trip and can't. Is cruising in the Med significantly different than the Caribbean? Do people dress more or less casually on the longer trips? Is it because with ships as huge as the Dream and the Magic everyone will fit in no matter how they dress? I would appreciate some help here. Thanks in advance

The only thing that had changed is that being they were never really formal nights (you were not required to wear a tux), so the name has changed to elegant. So now you wear what you think will make you look elegant. Basically, the I still read the majority wear the same attire as when they were called formal. But now, you will see a small amount of people wearing no jacket, even though Carnival still suggests you wear one, but does not require it.

I'm really interested in doing a med cruise but it will probably not be until 2012. If itineraries are similar, it looks like they do not sail until 8-10pm at night in many ports. What time do you have to be back on board and do they still have the same two seating times? Most have only 1 or 2 sea days, would these be the elegant nights. I can't imagine beating it back from Rome for the 10pm sailing, only to have to dress up for an elegant dinner. Thanks.

I'm really interested in doing a med cruise but it will probably not be until 2012. If itineraries are similar, it looks like they do not sail until 8-10pm at night in many ports. What time do you have to be back on board and do they still have the same two seating times? Most have only 1 or 2 sea days, would these be the elegant nights. I can't imagine beating it back from Rome for the 10pm sailing, only to have to dress up for an elegant dinner. Thanks.

Rome is the only port with a late departure time. Dinner tends to be open seating in cases like that. Rome will not be an elegant night.

Archived