Airport security and knee replacements

new kiwi girl

With my hip replacement, the first couple of times were a bit worrisome. But, it has gotten to be a simple routine of an extra 4 minutes or so (depending on the airport). I have traveled alone and the TSA person has asked me if I can see my items, I respond yes. One of these times, just for the sake of an arrest, I will say something flip like, "Yes, I can see one of your co-workers putting something into my briefcase."

Recently, what has bothered me more is the belt and metal tab on my pants. Sheesh! Just a little spot near my navel...I guess I ought to take out that navel lint (it could be dangerous!!).

Go with the flow and smile. You are going on a cruise!

Jim

I have an artificial elbow and shoulder. Sometimes the alarm goes of and sometimes it doesn't. I always stand in the general line and tell they guy just before I go through the screening machine I have artificial joints. If it beeps they wand me, if not I just go on through. No stopping.

Heck, I've had nothing replaced and the underwires on my bra have set off the detectors. The wanding was hilarious. The mandatory groping was less so. If they handle the merchandise, they oughtta tip!

I have a titanium hip as a result of a ship board accident. Interesting enough is it was replaced in a German clinic in Buenos Aries ( where the nurses do not speak English). My orthopedic surgeon gave me a pocket size x-ray card with date etc.. When I go through airport security I just automatically show them the card and say “male assist” and they point to where I should stand. Oddly enough I rarely set off European or ship alarms.. I do not mind the extra hassle and appreciate tight security.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

3starMariner.gif

409 days at sea

34 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

12 day TA Norwegian Sun Oct 2010

8 day Norwegian Sun Oct 2010

28 day Rio/Amazon river/ Ft. Lauderdale March 2011

TSA did not collect mine, I asked, my things were left for anyone to pick up.

That has been my experience. :(

DW goes ahead of me and collects BOTH containers and my cane, then goes to the nearest place to sit down and waits. At one airport, she had to raise a fuss to stay within sight, they wanted her to go around a corner into a large public area with all my money and ID in an open tray! :eek:

Archived