Airport security and knee replacements

new kiwi girl

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I will be travelling next month for the first time since getting both my knees replaced. Does anyone know if there is anything special I need to be aware of for proceeding thru the airport security screening?:confused:

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I will be travelling next month for the first time since getting both my knees replaced. Does anyone know if there is anything special I need to be aware of for proceeding thru the airport security screening?:confused:

Your screening may be slower than others. Ask your travel partner to go through screening ahead of you so they can collect your carry on items.

If there is metal in the replacement, then you will have to go around the metal detector and be patted down. Let them know you have had knee replacement surgery when you get to the metal detector or just get in the line around it. Someone will surely direct you.

Just allow extra time. I tell them before I go through the metal detector that I have replacements that are going to set it off. They direct you to the area where they will do extra wanding and pat down. (They'll collect your things off the conveyor belt and bring them with you for you.) Just allow a few extra minutes. I have my husband go through first so he can make sure my things are collected by the TSA person. (BUT don't have your spouse TOUCH THEM!...mine tried to be helpful and got my sneakers off and gave them to me...result...HE had to return and go through the check point, as did my sneakers...) Shame, shame....

Enjoy your cruise!

Just allow extra time. I tell them before I go through the metal detector that I have replacements that are going to set it off. They direct you to the area where they will do extra wanding and pat down. (They'll collect your things off the conveyor belt and bring them with you for you.) Just allow a few extra minutes. I have my husband go through first so he can make sure my things are collected by the TSA person. (BUT don't have your spouse TOUCH THEM!...mine tried to be helpful and got my sneakers off and gave them to me...result...HE had to return and go through the check point, as did my sneakers...) Shame, shame....

Enjoy your cruise!

TSA did not collect mine, I asked, my things were left for anyone to pick up.

My surgeon gave me two cards, one for each hip replacement with the date of surgery on them. I plan to bring them, even though it won't stop them from wanding me.

A few weeks ago I went through screening at the office of a major Board of Education facility for NYC. The alarm went off and no one did a thing.

TSA did not collect mine, I asked, my things were left for anyone to pick up.
I've never had the TSA folks collect my mom's things either. I've always had to do it or else they were left on the belt for anyone to grab. I've also never had to return through security for picking up my mom's belongings after they were screened. Maybe that is airport specific? I've experienced some airports having "rules" of their own.

I've never had the TSA folks collect my mom's things either. I've always had to do it or else they were left on the belt for anyone to grab. I've also never had to return through security for picking up my mom's belongings after they were screened. Maybe that is airport specific? I've experienced some airports having "rules" of their own.

A little known fact: TSA is actually an abbreviated Latin phrase meaning "we make stuff up as we go along, and say it is in the interest of your safety" :D

Scott.

I have an artificial elbow and shoulder. Sometimes the alarm goes of and sometimes it doesn't. I always stand in the general line and tell they guy just before I go through the screening machine I have artificial joints. If it beeps they wand me, if not I just go on through. No stopping.

I too have the card from my doctor saying I have had joint replacement but the TSA said that wasn't acceptable and I had to be patted down and wanned. I requested a male TSA but darn they appointed a woman. Maybe next time my wished will be granted.

Judee

I have two knee replacements; my husband has one. So we both get wanded. I wear no jewelry except watch and wedding ring. I wear slip-on shoes with socks -- I don't want to be walking barefoot to the search area. Since I have no one to pick up my carry-on, purse and jacket, I do not move until the TSA agent moves my belongings to the search area. Currently, the search is mostly with wand. A few years ago, it was followed by a pat down and the TSA agent (always a woman) checking the area under my breasts. THAT I hated! I look forward to the booths that do a visual search. Have only experienced it once and it was faster and felt less invasive. I do tell the agents I have knee replacements -- they don't seem to hear me. Just be prepared and do allow extra time because they must call an agent to do the search. Some day, TSA will realize that great grandparents are NOT security risks!

I have had to go thru this for the past 15 years with double knee replacements. And of course since TSA has been introduced it has gotten more time consuming to go thru airport security. I have often traveled alone, without my husband, and only once did I get really ticked when the agent wouldn't get my things off the conveyor. Every other time, when I've been alone, the agent has gotten my things and put them close by. When with my husband, they have always let him take my things after being scanned.

I go thru the general line and then am wanded and always patted down. The female agents most of the time seem pretty apologetic, but I tell them it's just business as usual. They're just doing their jobs. But it does eat up time! And I too always wear shoes with socks so I'm not bare foot. No one has ever been interested in seeing that card that the dr. gave me.

I have a hip replacement so I just tell someone as I approch the metal detector and they call someone. Have someone pick up your belongings after they go through the scanner.

As far as the card, which anyone can make on a computer, I am glad they don't go by it.

The chunk of metal in my leg is about a foot long, what else could I be hiding if they did not pat down after using the wand. The metal detector on the ship was not a problem, but I advised them of it before and they said to try it.

While no great grand parents I know would be packing I am sure someone has tried already. Roly

A little known fact: TSA is actually an abbreviated Latin phrase meaning "we make stuff up as we go along, and say it is in the interest of your safety" :D

Scott.

I always thought it stood for thoughtless, stupid and arrogant, but perhaps you are right, they do seem to make up the rules as they go along, particularly from airport to airport.

I had one knee replaced a couple years ago and I have beeped every time I go through airport security. You will be wanded and hand searched. It takes a lot of extra time. Each time I have traveled with my wife who has watched over my hand luggage. The TSA agent always asks if someone can watch it for me. I don't know what happens if you travel alone.

Interestingly, I also beep the first time I board on a ship on a cruise; however, after that initial beep and hand wand session I never beep again. I believe that that they mark my ID as a beeper and fix it so it doesn't beep again. I'm sure the security people on the ship would never admit that. But it always happens like this and we have traveled on four different cruise lines. Has anyone else had this experience?

Since having a knee replaced last year, I understanding the airport. Most times they will let you go to the handicap area if you have a replacement. This is usually less crowed, and they have both male and females on duty. Since October I have had a laptop , cell phone and other devises mistakely taken during the extra check. But, I must add it the security on the ships that really gets to me. I have been on three cruises and all three were the same. Every returning entrance requires a wand or hand search. I am sorry, with cards, and several search by the same security person, cabin number recorder and the like---there must be a better way. After 45 days on the same cruise ship is is laughable.

I have two knee replacements; my husband has one. So we both get wanded. I wear no jewelry except watch and wedding ring. I wear slip-on shoes with socks -- I don't want to be walking barefoot to the search area. Since I have no one to pick up my carry-on, purse and jacket, I do not move until the TSA agent moves my belongings to the search area. Currently, the search is mostly with wand. A few years ago, it was followed by a pat down and the TSA agent (always a woman) checking the area under my breasts.

So, is your knee replacement under your breasts? What am I missing here?:eek::rolleyes:

I think the issue is the metal detector sounded so they are checking you are not carrying metal other than your replacements. Someone who has a replacement would be the perfect person to try and sneak a gun or knife if they assume it was only the replacement that made the detector sound.

Since my DW had her knee replacement she has been wanded every time we go through. What I do is go ahead of her to collect our stuff and wait nearby for her. There is usually no fuss about me being near, I am far enough so it looks like I am just watching. They have very fair and kind to her, especially in the San Diego airport this past April.

So, is your knee replacement under your breasts? What am I missing here?

Strangely enough, that's exactly what I was thinking. Either very high knees, or very low breasts! Sorry, Cruising Carol, it just made me laugh, that's all.

I know how annoying it is to be wanded or patted every time, as DH had heart surgery a number of years ago and I've told everyone I was sure his sternum was wired together with barbed wire, not titanium. He beeps nearly everywhere in the world we've been, and always gets to show his scars. I always go through security first and keep my eye on his carry-on items as they pass through behind mine.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Archived