House of Augustus & House of Livia Palatine Hill

starwhite2

According to the following information by the Italian's state agency for culture the Villa di Livia is open only on selects Sundays. A telephone number and an e-mai address are given. Thus you might further inquire there.

http://www.beniculturali.it/mibac/opencms/MiBAC/sito-MiBAC/Luogo/MibacUnif/Luoghi-della-Cultura/visualizza_asset.html?id=25480&pagename=57

The Casa di Augusto is included in the Colosseo/Foro Romano/Palatino ticket, yet is only open for selected times:

http://www.pierreci.it/it/musei-e-monumenti/casa-di-augusto.aspx

The houses weren't open back when I stayed in rome (2002). But i will say the palantine hill is worth the price of admission alone. The views of the forum and coloseum are some of the best in rome in my humble opinion. Plus it seems to be much less crowded.

At least that was my experience. I'll post some photos that I took personally from up there if I can remember to do so after getting home this weekend.

Has anyone ever actually entered these two sites? There was discussion on Fodors in 2008 about being able to enter in small groups. Do these two houses require a special ticket? Thanks.

I have tried several times when visiting Rome to see Augustus' house -- it always seems to be closed even when it should be open. I usually travel to Rome in the off (winter) months, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I hope you have better luck!

According to the following information by the Italian's state agency for culture the Villa di Livia is open only on selects Sundays. A telephone number and an e-mai address are given. Thus you might further inquire there.

http://www.beniculturali.it/mibac/opencms/MiBAC/sito-MiBAC/Luogo/MibacUnif/Luoghi-della-Cultura/visualizza_asset.html?id=25480&pagename=57

The Casa di Augusto is included in the Colosseo/Foro Romano/Palatino ticket, yet is only open for selected times:

http://www.pierreci.it/it/musei-e-monumenti/casa-di-augusto.aspx

Thank you, Carlmm. I will be at the Palatino on a Wednesday but I could write and see if I can procure an appointment for the House of Livia. That would be a hoot.

I ordered this a.m. from my local library the book The House of Augustus: Wall Paintings by Irene Iacopi (Dec. 2008) in Italian. They are going to try to get it for me from the U. of Chic. or the U. of IL.

I just can't believe I will be looking at Wall Paintings from Augustus. Very thrilling.

Yes, Cynthia, I would like to see your photos. I took some of the Palatine Hill in 1983 but never identified them.

Thank you, Carlmm. I will be at the Palatino on a Wednesday but I could write and see if I can procure an appointment for the House of Livia. That would be a hoot.

I ordered this a.m. from my local library the book The House of Augustus: Wall Paintings by Irene Iacopi (Dec. 2008) in Italian. They are going to try to get it for me from the U. of Chic. or the U. of IL.

I just can't believe I will be looking at Wall Paintings from Augustus. Very thrilling.

Yes, Cynthia, I would like to see your photos. I took some of the Palatine Hill in 1983 but never identified them.

Just as an FYI, you can see gorgeous wall paintings from Livia's villa (at Prima Porta) in the Museo ****onale/Terme. Along with many other beautiful frescoes and mosaics from that period.

Archived