Using Mobile phone from Caribbean

Hi Folks has anyone been to the Caribbean and and used a phone ie: sim card for there mobile? other than there usual one. Has anyone got any information on what Sim to use as i take it it will be very expensive contacting home from there? Many thanks in advance

glad you brought this subject up as I am going to the Caribbean next Jan and my dual band payg wont work there.

we were in the caribbean march 2009 and i am on virgin it cost approx £1.70 per min in port (on board ship it costs more as you go through the ships mobile signal) and i also found it was better to turn your phone off while sailing as it keep trying to find a signal and used the battery have a lovely time we did

Had no problem with my tri band phone but didn't make any calls just used texts. ....good idea to keep it switched off on the ship as you would have to pay for any incoming calls that may arrive and it would be very expensive !!:)

• 5 weeks later...

I have done the coral islands and caribbean gems itinerys on the Destiny in March the last two years and booked to go again in March 2011. I brought myself a Tesco tri-band pay as you go mobile phone two years ago and I've have terrible problems phoning home from the caribbean. Either you cannot get a provider or there is no signal. The only place the phone seems to work is at Tortola and Barbados. I complained to Tesco when I returned from both trips and they told me the problem has nothing to do with them, it's the signal providers in the relevant country you are visiting. The mobile also never works when the ship is at sea. It's very annoying. To use the cabin phone to call home costs £35 /40 for 4 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Jenny

I have done the coral islands and caribbean gems itinerys on the Destiny in March the last two years and booked to go again in March 2011. I brought myself a Tesco tri-band pay as you go mobile phone two years ago and I've have terrible problems phoning home from the caribbean. Either you cannot get a provider or there is no signal. The only place the phone seems to work is at Tortola and Barbados. I complained to Tesco when I returned from both trips and they told me the problem has nothing to do with them, it's the signal providers in the relevant country you are visiting. The mobile also never works when the ship is at sea. It's very annoying. To use the cabin phone to call home costs £35 /40 for 4 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Jenny

Thanks all i think my mobile will be in txt mode all 2 weeks?

The holidays are normally a time to get away from all the stress and worry of your hectic year.

So leave the mobile switched off, escape from all the modern gadgets but, perhaps take your camera. That way you can look back and remember the great places and times of your holiday, after the all to short interlude in your hectic life.

There is a life without a phone, remember pre mobile days, no wasted holidays because no one could give you bad or unwanted news.

They just saved it all up untill you came home but, for two glorious weeks you were in heaven.

LOL:D

The holidays are normally a time to get away from all the stress and worry of your hectic year.

So leave the mobile switched off, escape from all the modern gadgets but, perhaps take your camera. That way you can look back and remember the great places and times of your holiday, after the all to short interlude in your hectic life.

There is a life without a phone, remember pre mobile days, no wasted holidays because no one could give you bad or unwanted news.

They just saved it all up untill you came home but, for two glorious weeks you were in heaven.

LOL:D

Thinking about it that sounds like a really good plan. ;)

Archived