Rome in a Day..

ptaguer

Hi Gang - First time cruising. Will be on a 12 night cruise (Celebrity Century). We arrive in Civetivechia on Sep 10.

Since Rome is one of the highlights is this plan reasonable or should I bite the bullet and go with a Full Day Tour either through the ship or local company?

My initial draft:

1. If ship arrives at 7:00 can I make the 7:33 train?

2. Train arrives in Rome at 8:50. Can I get to the Vatican by 9:15 to meet the tour group?

3. Is there a different train station we can get off to be closer to Vatican?

• After the guided tour of the Vatican (3 hrs.) We plan to map out (walking/taxi's/buses) to see other key spots (Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon). May not see all but will do what is practical. Any help here is appreciated.
  • Train back to CIV at 4:39 or 5:09 to leave about an hour buffer to make the scheduled ship departure at 7:00pm.

Not only am I a first time cruiser, but also new to "Message Boards"... I trust I am following protocol and appreciate any help from others.

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Your plan is not bad but here are a couple of suggestions. First of all, the closest stop to St. Peter's is Roma San Pietro which will save you at least 15 minutes of train time. Secondly, you can probably save money by booking a tour of the Vatican Museums directly with them: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orari.html. At the end of the tour you can walk right into the basilica on yur own, climb to the top of the dome, etc.

However, I might suggest that you start at the Colosseum (getting off the train at Roma Ostiense) (you want to avoid Termini at all costs!) and then working your way back to the Vatican and making that your last stop before boarding the train at the San Pietro station. There are several wonderful "Day in Rome" ideas on these boards--just scroll down or do a search.

Unless your ship arrives early, you're unlikely to make the train. If it arrives at 7.00am, you're not likely to be off before 7.30am. Then you have to take the port shuttle to the port gates, from where it's a 20 minute walk to the station. Even if you have a taxi prebooked and waiting by the ship, I don't think you're going to make it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and great post.

I too would say that you will not make the train.

The earliest the first shuttle might pick you up to get to the front gate is probably at is 7:30 AM. Once at the front gate by taxi it will take you another 10 minutes to get to the train station because of traffic and lights.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic and great post.

I too would say that you will not make the train.

The earliest the first shuttle might pick you up to get to the front gate is probably at is 7:30 AM. Once at the front gate by taxi it will take you another 10 minutes to get to the train station because of traffic and lights.

I suspect Keith is thinking of another port, perhaps Livorno? At Civitavecchia, once you get off the shuttle bus you're only about four or five quick blocks from the train station, no need for a taxi, nor could you probably get one to go such a short distance.

Hi Gang - First time cruising. Will be on a 12 night cruise (Celebrity Century). We arrive in Civetivechia on Sep 10.

Since Rome is one of the highlights is this plan reasonable or should I bite the bullet and go with a Full Day Tour either through the ship or local company?

My initial draft:

1. If ship arrives at 7:00 can I make the 7:33 train?

2. Train arrives in Rome at 8:50. Can I get to the Vatican by 9:15 to meet the tour group?

3. Is there a different train station we can get off to be closer to Vatican?

• After the guided tour of the Vatican (3 hrs.) We plan to map out (walking/taxi's/buses) to see other key spots (Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon). May not see all but will do what is practical. Any help here is appreciated.
  • Train back to CIV at 4:39 or 5:09 to leave about an hour buffer to make the scheduled ship departure at 7:00pm.

Not only am I a first time cruiser, but also new to "Message Boards"... I trust I am following protocol and appreciate any help from others.

Thanks

Paul

I would say: no way for the train:

You need to be

really punctual with your ship and you can leave the ship as first at 07.00 hrs (but see how many will do it on that day)...

really the first one to queue in line for getting on a shuttle (it happened to us that it took 30 minutes before we could get on the 3rd shuttle).

really have no waiting time to the shuttle (depending to the number of ships in port you have to wait shorter or longer and see how many buses can be used at once)

really have a close berth to the port gate (the ride itself can take up to 8 minutes before you reach the port)

really have a fast walk (about 10 minutes)

really are the first in line to buy tickets

optimistic count:

07.00 hrs from the ship

07.05 hrs on the shuttle

07.15 hrs at the gatte

07.25 hrs at the train station

07.33 hrs departure...

I would not count on it. You may do it but not for sure.

Maybe it's better to do other sights first and book the 14.00 hrs tour:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&step=4&aaaamm=20109&dd=10&numeroPartecipanti=2&codiceLinguaVisita=ENG

which is still open.

To see the most of the time we had in Rome see our private tour:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/civitavecchia-italy-getting-to-vatican.html

We split the day and only book the car to see all the major sights for some photo stops.

In your case I would order the car incl. guide for the first part. Ask him for a drop-off at the Vatican to see your second part and then to return by train back to your ship.

Regards

HeinBloed

I did Rome in a day with romeinlimo.com Their company is specialized for seeing Rome (and Florence/Pisa and Naples etc) in a day.

Had a wonderful time in rome in 08 and going with them again in 3 wks.

The best way to do rome in a day.

They will take care of you and take you right to the places of interest.

Bryan

Archived