Halifax & Saint John general question

We are looking at the Glory's 5 day to Canada for August. How warm will it be around early-mid August? Can you get off the ship and find things to do or do we really need to book a Carnival excursion? I like the reversing falls zipline idea, but DH mentioned Bay of Fundy because our kids are really into animals (especially sea animals) and he claims you can see sharks and whales...really?

We are looking at the Glory's 5 day to Canada for August. How warm will it be around early-mid August? Can you get off the ship and find things to do or do we really need to book a Carnival excursion? I like the reversing falls zipline idea, but DH mentioned Bay of Fundy because our kids are really into animals (especially sea animals) and he claims you can see sharks and whales...really?

The temp in Saint John will be around mid-70's - mid 60's if the fog rolls in - but that doesn't happen too often in August. The Bay of Fundy has whale watching from communities southwest of Saint John about a 70 minute drive. They typically are not offered by tour operators to cruise visitors due to time contraints. The New Brunswick Museum at Market Square (5 min. walk from ship) has the "Hall Of Great Whales" which may interest your kids: http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=470

Depending on their age/height - the jet boat thrill ride through the Reversing Falls may interest them: http://www.jetboatrides.com/thrill.html

The temp in Saint John will be around mid-70's - mid 60's if the fog rolls in - but that doesn't happen too often in August. The Bay of Fundy has whale watching from communities southwest of Saint John about a 70 minute drive. They typically are not offered by tour operators to cruise visitors due to time contraints. The New Brunswick Museum at Market Square (5 min. walk from ship) has the "Hall Of Great Whales" which may interest your kids: http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=470

Depending on their age/height - the jet boat thrill ride through the Reversing Falls may interest them: http://www.jetboatrides.com/thrill.html

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. And the Museum is free admission the day we'd be in port (8/15). So cool!!!!! The kids would like the jet boat ride as well. Our girls are 12 and our son and his friend are 14. Thank you for the info! I am super excited!! I went to Canada many summers as a kid and then again in Middle School (with the French club). Can't wait for my kids to see her!

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. And the Museum is free admission the day we'd be in port (8/15). So cool!!!!! The kids would like the jet boat ride as well. Our girls are 12 and our son and his friend are 14. Thank you for the info! I am super excited!! I went to Canada many summers as a kid and then again in Middle School (with the French club). Can't wait for my kids to see her!

Just another idea - by the ship is the Canada Games Aquatic Centre - from 1:30 to 3:00 is "Ultimate Swim" - kids would have use of Olympic size pool, diving boards, diving tower (10 & 16 feet high), 3 other leisure pools (one with an island), water slide, whirlpools, tarzan rope, walk on water mat, water volleyball and pool toys. www.aquatics.nb.ca

$5 each admission. Lifeguarded.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a place near the dock to rent a car? We are sailing on the July 16 Carnival Glory to St. John and Halifax.

AVIS - Water Street Saint John (506) 634-7750 - I would call the office directly as opposed to a 1-800 call centre

Archived