Restaurant Recommdation for Lobster...Halifax and/or St.John

The ship stops at both ports....trying to decide which tours, etc. I did see on 1 tour to Peggy's Cove I think...that also include a lobster lunch.

We may just spend the short day we have in each of these cities....and would love to sample the great seafood of the region. Hoping someone has visited a great restaurant there on their travels and/or lives in the area and can make a recommendation.

Thanks!

The ship stops at both ports....trying to decide which tours, etc. I did see on 1 tour to Peggy's Cove I think...that also include a lobster lunch.

We may just spend the short day we have in each of these cities....and would love to sample the great seafood of the region. Hoping someone has visited a great restaurant there on their travels and/or lives in the area and can make a recommendation.

Thanks!

In Saint John Billy's Seafood at the top end of the Old City Market is consistently rated by locals as the best:

http://www.billysseafood.com/

Alternatively, Steamers Lobster Company is located directly across the street from Marco Polo Cruise Terminal and Grannan's Seafood is located at Market Square.

I heartily concur with Acey re: Saint John. We visited in July, on that occasion we ate at Grannons and were very pleased. DW and I really liked their seafood chowder, nice and thick which is how we happen to like it. but as Acey mentions, Billy's gets high reviews as well.

In Halifax our favorite is The 5 Fishermen. http://www.fivefishermen.com/ we have visited the restaurant several times, however not in the past 3 years. Unfortunately we have not been able to get to Halifax recently even though it is one of our favourite cities to visit. Over the years we have had occasion to visit several of the seafood restaurants near the waterfront but Five Fishermen is our choice. I read in the last week on another thread where someone really enjoyed Mckelvies. http://mckelvies.com/

Happy eating :)

There are several restaurants along the wonderful waterfront in Halifax which serve lobster. I have not had it in any of them, since I am local and we cook our own. If I had to choose based on appearance I would go to the Hart and Thistle which is in the Historic Properties at the northern end of the walk. Your ship will be at the southern end.

In my opinion you would be better off renting a car to get to Peggy's Cove and skip the tourist trap restaurant there (it is the only one and will be crowded).

Do a search on the Ports of Call/Canada forum and you will find many posts about what to do in Halifax, how to get to Peggy's Cove, etc.

We ate at Steamer's. When you exit the terminal, turn left. You should cross the street at the light just to the left of the terminal, then go a few steps further in that direction. I took a picture of our ship when we came out of the retstaurant that I tried to add, but it's not cooperating.

I am a two hour drive away, but it could be arranged! If you want good seafood in Halifax, not just lobster, check out Five Fishermen or McKelvie's.

I forgot to mention that the Hart and Thistle is right on the water, including outside, and they brew their own beer.

it could be arranged!

You are most kind. :) Thanks, but you probably don't have much to worry about:rolleyes:. I do love the area though, as I mentioned Halifax is one of my favorite cities to visit. Short of home cooking, we do LOVE 5 Fishermen and recommend it to those interested. If you have the opportunity to visit the upstairs restaurant, the bar area is our favourite place to be seated, it has wonderful character. Unfortunately most cruise pax will not have the opportunity as it does not open until 5PM. The cruise visitors would probably be limited to the downstairs grill portion but that is very nice as well and still recommended.

Maryann ns, FYI, My Dad was a Baptist pastor in Clarke's Harbour for 7 years, 50 years ago, he is now 81 and retired in Saint John, but not before a 2 year return stint at the same church in the late 90's.

St. John - Grannan's - inside the Market Square Center. I had a great lobster roll and my husband reports that his fish and chips were excellent.

Halifax - McKelvie's - the best lunch of our entire trip! I had a great beer battered fish and chips, which were battered in a local brew and weren't greasy at all. My husband had salmon, which was awesome. We also had a slice of Ovation pie afterward, which is basically a frozen mint chocolate chip ice cream cake.

For some less formal fare but a great time none the less, check out the Lower Deck in Halifax. A really iconic local pub/restaurant, which often has live music. It is a great place to stop in for a drink on a hot day. The Upper Deck (located upstairs) also has great food, and is a little less "bar" like.

Salty's is generally good too. They have a wonderful patio which looks out over Halifax Harbour. Havent been there in about 3-4 years... but it has normally been quite good!

To Acey and anyone else who can help:

I wanted to know if there are any casual lobster stand/shack

places to eat at near the ship's port in St. John?

We are looking for an informal place to get lobster rolls.

I did some research and found that there are 2 places not far from port in Halifax - Captain's Catch and The Battered Fish.

Has anyone been to these places?

Thanks to all!

To Acey and anyone else who can help:

I wanted to know if there are any casual lobster stand/shack

places to eat at near the ship's port in St. John?

We are looking for an informal place to get lobster rolls.

I did some research and found that there are 2 places not far from port in Halifax - Captain's Catch and The Battered Fish.

Has anyone been to these places?

Thanks to all!

In Saint John "Steamer's Lobster Company" is located across the street from the Marco Polo Cruise Terminal. They are informal and even have picnic tables outside with a view of the ship.

http://www.steamerslobstercompany.com/

During a cruise last year went to another restaurant in Halifax, people were eating but we couldn't get seated for some reason. They ignored us at the front so we walked through the restaurant to the back and stood there, also ignored, so we left and ate at McElvies. It is a very nice restaurant, good service, but the lobster we ate was VERY expensive, about $80 for two people as I recall. It was our first stop, so we wanted a lobster. We also ate it at Billy's in St. John, ok too, a busy place but less expensive. The place we enjoyed most on the cruise was Gilbert's in Portland, ME.

There is fish at just about every restaurant along the harbourfront walk in Halifax. yesterday we had a great lunch (not lobster) at Salty's, sitting on the boardwalk outside. they have lobster there of course.

If you want it cheap, go to the supermarket. There is a Superstore very close to the ship. They will boil or steam a lobster for you.

Archived