mosquitos

karenvit

We saw only a few mosquitoes while waiting for our bus at the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Also a few buzzed us while we were on our balcony while leaving Skagway.

I brought sunscreen and only used it once. Never really thought of it again because it wasn't HOT...but it was sunny. So my face did get some sun. I would bring it to be safe. At least a small tube.

We saw only a few mosquitoes while waiting for our bus at the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Also a few buzzed us while we were on our balcony while leaving Skagway.

I brought sunscreen and only used it once. Never really thought of it again because it wasn't HOT...but it was sunny. So my face did get some sun. I would bring it to be safe. At least a small tube.

A person can get a sun/wind burn, and you may not even feel hot, but you may still get a burn. Put sunscreen on when on deck for long periods.

Have never seen mosquitoes, but I am sure that they exist, we always carry 'Off' with us, just in case.

john

Sunscreen is a must! Even on cloudy days put it on, and if the sun is shining all that reflection off the water and ice is required.

I am a mosquito magnet in my family but didn't encounter any bites in July. I have heard they are big and lots of them, if you are doing land tour then I'd say yes, but I didn't have any problem in any of our stops; YMM.

Are there mosquitos in Alaska at this time of year--also do you need sun screen? thanks.

Karen

Just back today! This was my 3rd cruise to AK and have never seen a mosquito. However, while we were in Juneau on Monday, it was hot and sunny. We went on the Gastineau Mine tour and there were lots of flies, and they did bite. I commented to one of the guides that I wish I'd thought to bring bug spray. He said that he was covered with the stuff and it wasn't doing him any good. I got a couple of bites, but they didn't bother me too much.

As for sunscreen, definitely bring it! It was 90 in Seattle the day we left and we got lots of sun while out on deck for sail away. Also, our first sea day was pretty nice (at least I thought so, but we are from the Seattle area!) and I sat out in my bathing suit and got a bit burned, even with sunscreen.

J I commented to one of the guides that I wish I'd thought to bring bug spray. He said that he was covered with the stuff and it wasn't doing him any good.

He sure wasn't using the right stuff then (something with a high concentration of DEET)!

We returned from Alaska the day it was 90 degrees in Seattle, but our day in Juneau was drizzly and very cloudy and our helicopter tour was canceled. So, you never know regarding the weather. The rest of our trip was sunny and warm, but I never applied sunscreen, which I had with me. Never saw a single mosquito, but I did also have bug spray. The gift shop on board has it if you need it.

That's one of the few that's been wearing a pfd all summer!

Well, that one definitely made me laugh out loud, because my first vision was the mosquito with a little Mae West on :D I can see them now, doing the backstroke in the puddles in the lawn :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived