In transit to Cherbourg with an intermediate stop in Soton

hcrane

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but here is the question.

I am doing a round trip New York to Cherbourg with intermediate stops in Soton. Actually, the trip is a B2B2B - NYC- Soton, Soton-Cherbourg-Soton, Soton-NYC.

What happens at the Soton stop and the Cherbourg stop?

Is Britannia closed for lunch for through passengers? I seem to recall reading that it is not closed for in transit passengers, only closed to those boarding. Same question applies to the stop in Cherbourg.

I am not planning at the moment on doing any touring in Soton or Cherbourg, hence the question.

BTW, I am changing accommodation on these voyages, going from Grill to Britannia then back to Grill - my guess is your coach turns into a pumpkin after breakfast (and vice versa).

Thanks,

Crane

You hit a nerve, starting me thinking about the same issues. I'm doing a drop from Britania Club to Britannia November 10, and I think our coach does turn into a pumpkin after breakfast the day we downgrade.

I'm guessing Britannia is open for lunch every day on this cruise since there are through passengers at all 3 stops in addition to in transit passengers. I checked my Daily Programme for my QV World Cruise for Singapore, where there were both through and embarking passengers (Cunard sold Bangkok-Dubai as a segment to Americans while many other nationalities had the segment switch at Singapore). All the restaurants were open for lunch that day. I have never seen ID's checked at lunch in Britannia, so I think anyone on board by lunch time would be seated.

Roy

Unless you are very familiar with UK I would suggest that you go to Portsmouth where there is a good Naval Museum and display, or go to Winchester which is a beautiful old city. Both well within 30 minute train journey.

From Cherbourg, you can visit the D Day beaches and the war Cemeteries which is immensely moving. Or walk round the harbour, pick a bar or a restaurant and get a bit of culture.:)

I am not sure there is a set anser to the question. My own experieince is that it varies depending on the mood of the "person at the top"

On my last B2B2B, Britannia was closed to all passengers while the ship was docked in S'ton.I do know that on some trips passengers in transit have had lunch in the upstairs portion of the room. I tried to get into Britannia but all doors were locked. and the room deserted.

Another strange item is room service. On the first stop at S'ton, I called room service the night before to ask that the pick up my breakfast requests , to be told "there is absolutely NO room service tomorrow morning"

Yet 4 days later, on the return I did the same phone call, to be told, "just leave it on the door as usual" - It did arrive on time.

So you can see why I say it all depends on some unknown persons say so.

USUALLY, when the QM2 is docked at the terminal at the end of one voyage, the Britannia may be open for visiting guests invited by Cunard.

Last November 2009, Loretta and I were in transit in Southampton, and we were allowed by one of the restaurant managers to have lunch in the Britannia Restaurant with our friends who just boarded.

It was on the westbound return voyage that we met you and appreciated all the effort you put in for the Cruise Critic get together in the Commodore Club the first day at sea.

I am curious in what others may offer here, because we are booked for October 2011, to do the very same voyage you are doing this October.

We are planning to visit Bath when we arrive in Southampton and take a local tour while in Cherbourg.

See you soon in October!

Terry

USUALLY, when the QM2 is docked at the terminal at the end of one voyage, the Britannia may be open for visiting guests invited by Cunard.

Last November 2009, Loretta and I were in transit in Southampton, and we were allowed by one of the restaurant managers to have lunch in the Britannia Restaurant with our friends who just boarded.

It was on the westbound return voyage that we met you and appreciated all the effort you put in for the Cruise Critic get together in the Commodore Club the first day at sea.

I am curious in what others may offer here, because we are booked for October 2011, to do the very same voyage you are doing this October.

We are planning to visit Bath when we arrive in Southampton and take a local tour while in Cherbourg.

See you soon in October!

Terry

Hi Terry,

Looking forward to seeing you and Loretta again - have not decided what to do in Cherbourg yet - QM2 is the destination after all....

Crane

See you soon in October!

Terry

If you are going to go to bath, we could meet you in Bath with Tilly for an hour maybe, depending on your tour and how long you are there for

We have entered it in the diary, so we will meet you in Bath that day, maybe a short vist,and tilly and bobby with be there as well??

If you check it out, you maybe better off coming by train from soton into bath and doing your own tour.

i will look into all options for you

Archived