New picture of Queen Elizabeth

dmwnc1959

And now a rather splendid

I do hope the bulbous bow shots will not upset those of a more sensitive disposition (Cunard US insisted that QM2's bulbous bow be air brushed out of early photos as 'inappropriate'.....):rolleyes:

"Sensitive", or "warped"?

Still makes me giggle...

:eek:

I have sailed with non-liner nut friends on QE2, QM2 and QV - they ALL preferred the newer ships by a country mile. Where I saw 'heritage' they say fraying carpets and cramped cabins....she was a great ship in her day - but that day is well and truly past.

I got to tell you on QE2, they were replacing carpets and painting, even is crew areas, right up to the end. In the last refit, they fixed the puffy wood deck out back of the Yacht Club. In fact on my last visit she was in better shape than in 1991, says me.

I got to tell you on QE2, they were replacing carpets and painting, even is crew areas, right up to the end. In the last refit, they fixed the puffy wood deck out back of the Yacht Club. In fact on my last visit she was in better shape than in 1991, says me.
I agree - maintenance improved markedly when run by a shipping company rather than an engineering or property conglomerate - but by the end she was a very old lady - and her charm did not work on all.

From what I read here and elsewhere, and from my memories of the ship, she was first rate until the end - in First Class.

I have to disagree :( Fifteen years ago the standard in Mauretania roughly equated to the standard in Princess Grill at the end (OK, you couldn't order off menu (but that was almost impossible when AN was MD'H) and there were two sittings). Even the top tiers of cabins were looking tired and had been the subject of unsuitable alterations.

our inside cabin with the upper and lower bunks - like a broom cupboard equipped with shelves to sleep on - and that was an experience I will always remember and that I am enormously glad that I had.

And I am enormously glad that I saw those cabins AND never had to sleep in one :D

And I am enormously glad that I saw those cabins AND never had to sleep in one :D

Yes, I think that was probably the better option! Getting in and out of that top bunk was quite a performance and called for athletic ability that was way beyond what I was capable of - particularly after a reasonably filling dinner.

J

I remember seeing one cabin that couldn't have been more that about 10 feet long by 6 feet wide! I'm not including the bathroom in that but the bathroom was incredibly small as well! That mast have been one of the smallest cabins on the ship:eek:

I remember seeing one cabin that couldn't have been more that about 10 feet long by 6 feet wide! I'm not including the bathroom in that but the bathroom was incredibly small as well! That mast have been one of the smallest cabins on the ship:eek:

Yeah, I think that could well have been the one we were in. It was an M6 (I think); the walk in closets in the Grills suites were larger only this one had shelves for sleeping on. Shortly after we got on board I made the serious error of opening the cabin door, the bathroom door, and the two wardrobe doors simultaneously. I thought I was going to have to stay in the cabin for the rest of the cruise until I could work out the correct order in which to close them all so that I could actually get out. It was like some kind of infernal vertical Rubik's cube – every time I managed to get one damn door shut another two got in the way of the third one.

I was cursing and swearing and generally frothing at the mouth, and She Who Must be Obeyed was rolling around on the two square feet of clear deckspace that wasn't already occupied by me and the demonic doors and laughing so much she was in danger of having to go to the toilet very urgently indeed… only she couldn't… not until I'd sorted out the doors!!! What fun.

J

Shortly after we got on board I made the serious error of opening the cabin door, the bathroom door, and the two wardrobe doors simultaneously. I thought I was going to have to stay in the cabin for the rest of the cruise until I could work out the correct order in which to close them all so that I could actually get out. It was like some kind of infernal vertical Rubik's cube – every time I managed to get one damn door shut another two got in the way of the third one.

Two wardrobes? Then it wasn't the same one - the cabin I saw only had one :eek: Equally you've got to admire the design of the ship (best from a distance where that cabin's concerned ;) )

Our first cabin on QE2 was a small inside one. The wardrobe of the next door cabin sort of herniated into ours, with the result that any manipulation of coat hangers next door, caused a loud clicking noise in our cabin. This was nothing compared to the sound when their safe (also in the wardrobe) was slammed shut, which caused a sound like cannon fire. To add to this, there was a VERY loud 'Southern Belle' in the aforementioned cabin, who could be clearly heard through the wall when she rolled into her cabin at 2 or 3 AM. After a few nights of this, we asked her to kindly keep the noise down, whereupon she phoned the Purser's desk & complained about the noise that we were making!

The air conditioning struggled to make itself felt & when the luggage was deposited in the cabin, finding room to move, before sorting the stuff out, was like one of those old games where you had a board with little squares, except for one empty space, which allowed you to move the squares around until you solved the puzzle.

Those cabins were interesting & were something of a historical experience. The modern cabins are definitely better, although lacking something of the character. :)

Yes :) As I said - I'm pleased I saw them :rolleyes: :D

We didn't actually see them, but got friendly with a couple staying in one - they sounded pretty interesting.

I've never stayed in a cabin I loved as much as our PG on QE2 with unrefurbished bathroom - it was a little well-used and worn around the edges but, then, so am I. I can understand others liking the 'Hilton' style modern cabins, but I find them utterly impersonal; having said that, I love a balcony...

Mary

hope they do not change the times of her arrival as getting up early to go down there. i wentr on the qe2 as a free cruise after getting overbookede the year before had a smalll outside single at from t was the largest single which was nice. as i had a virus and was stuck there for a few days and missed geiranger. looking forward to seeing her and seeing for myself.

dave

I notice you're on the maiden voyage Mary - have a wonderful time :)

We are booked for next September and I am looking forward to hearing all about her as I have been having misgivings since we booked (love QM2 but my husband wanted to try QE).

Gotta admire the shear ignorance of this quote regarding the new QE from another board:

"Gosh, David, if you’re idea of a “hottie” is QE with her Hyacinth Bucket interiors, please don’t choose my date for the prom. This is a ship DESIGNED for old bitties at the picket fence..."

Guess anyone who likes the new QE is an old bittie? :rolleyes:

I notice you're on the maiden voyage Mary - have a wonderful time :)

We are booked for next September and I am looking forward to hearing all about her as I have been having misgivings since we booked (love QM2 but my husband wanted to try QE).

Many thanks. My powers of observation are pretty underwhelming, but I'll do my best. There will be many others who notice things that I won't - I shall probably be far too busy being delighted to be on board...

Can't remember if you've tried QV, but I preferred her to QM2 - smaller ship, more intimate, and I imagine QE will be similar.

Mary

Archived