Lap band

snowy owl

I had the lap band surgery done back in June and I can tell you it is not the easy way out. I eat a whole lot less but I need to start walking or something. Plus I need to drink more water, water,water. I have lost some weight but not enough. For me it is slow going. There is a good web site for people who want to keep track of their food intake. fitday.com It's kinda like a food journal. Just wondering if any body else has had this surgery or nows someone? :)

Don't know anyone but just wanted to say..Welcome!

Come in often and talk often..we're all trying our best to help each other..

we're all trying to drink more water, remind each other every day.

Also we all need the exercise...maybe someone can tell you how to

get more exercise and water in each day.

Water I always try to have water around..bring it with you when on the computer and drink when reading and typing. When you watch Tv, eating your meals. Have water instead of sodas!

They say walking is the best way to exercise..can do it anytime!

Just have to make yourself get out the door! Good Luck!

Hi Snowy Owl, I am in the process of trying to get approval from my insurance co for the lap band. Began it in Dec and still waiting! Did

you have it done in the states or in Mexico? Mexico is my next option if

the insurance denies my claim. Have you been happy with your lap band?

I know the weight loss is slower than with gastric but I think maybe that

helps your body (and skin) adjust better. Have you cruised

since you had your surgery? We are planning a cruise in Oct 2005, so I

am hoping to be smaller by then. I am just ready for the weight struggle

to be over! I know a lot of people see surgery as the easy way out, but you

still will have to adjust your eating habits as well as exercise. I just see it as

a way to get my weight down and stay down. No more yoyoing. I could

lose weight on my own, but I would only gain it back given to my own devices. Good Luck in beginning your exercise program!

Rhonda

I had my surgery done in Mexico because My insurance would not have covered it. I have inlaws that have had it done with the same Doc. That is way I went there. I'am very happy and would do it again if had to. The weight is coming off slow because I'am not exercising. I need to get motovated. I have had only one fill and probably need another. Eating about 1 cup of food when I eat and I'am full. No I have not cruised yet. We go next Jan.29th on the Valor. I did the surgery because no matter what I did I could not lose it. I'am more active with my kids too. For my weight I'am a liteweight. But I needed to do it for me. I'am much happier with myself. I can at lest look in the mirror with sticking my tongue out :p. I hated myself now I know there is hope and a end to the rainbow. My dh is starting to walk so now I have some compation to lose the weight. I now if he loses and I don't I'll be mad. So that gives me a reason to workout.:D I love my band. If you want any more detailed info email me snowyowlfarm@sherbtel.net

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'am doing fine. I lost about fifty-sixty pounds since I had the surgery. I need a fill but I'am going to wait till after my cruise. The first year I did'nt lose very much. You need to work with the band. I was a couch potatoe then I got a job and lost like 30 lbs. I know a few people that have had to have their band removed because of erosion. I'll try to answer any more questions if you have them.

If you want a really comprehensive overview and interaction with others who've had that procedure, go to obesityhelp dot com for information. They have tons of before/after pictures, with a special section for LapBand users. You'll find people who've had success and people who've had problems. The whole site is about weight-loss surgery, including the RNY and DS, not just LB.

I don't know if I'm even supposed to mentioned another site like that... but for a life/death surgery, it is an amazing reference. Be aware, it is very pro WLS as a means to lose weight, not diet and exercise alone.

Since joining Weight Watchers, I found I can do this on my own, and keep it off on my own (not knocking those who choose WLS). Just doing so is the problem. I have my own history of approval, then denial for WLS. Long story...ba humbug!:rolleyes:

I am a "bandster" since August of 2005.....doing great....love my band!!!

We are planning a cruise for February 2007...my main concern is being able to get bottled water (without going broke!!!). I drink about 70 ozs. of water a day. I know you have to pay for acoholic drinks and you can purchase "soda passes" for the kids, but do you pay for bottled water? I am a real "virgin" when it comes to cruising, so excuse me if this is a really dumb question.

Thanks,

Quiltingfool

Hello,

Yes you have to pay for bottle water. I have not cruised since I got my band this cruise (1-29-06) will be my first. I did not have any problem drinking the water from the ship. My dh did drink a lot of bottled water though. Do a search for prices of drinks for your cruise. What ship are you cruising on?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Although not a "Bander" I do drink a lot of water (96oz) each day. That was a great question regarding not going broke getting it on board. I am glad it was mentioned. I will take a Brittia (sp?) pitcher (the more compact one) with me and refillable water bottles! Thanks for the heads up. I do not like ice cold water so it will be ok. But if you like it cold bring/buy a couple of water bottles to refill and put on ice in the cabin as needed.

Thanks again for the heads up--before my current WOE the bar bill was the problem that required smuggling now the water! LOL

Keep up the good work everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

If everything goes according to plan (with insurance company), I have my lap band surgery scheduled for March 6. All my pre-op testing has been completed (took 4 months from start to finish, but at least I know that I'm in a healthy state, except for my weight). Originally I thought I wanted gastric bypass, but got a little freaked out and learned that lap band is a less invasive procedure with no malabsorption issues. I know it will not be an easy road ahead, but at least I feel like there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. We are cruising B2B cruises Feb. 5 and Feb. 12 (sort of a last hurrah before my surgery) and cruising again on May 28. Hopefully everything will be well healed and I'll be good to go for the May 28 cruise.

You should be ok by your May cruise. You probably still will have some restriction or will have gotten your first fill. Eating may be a slight challenge buyt try to pick from the spa menu and you should be good to go. You'll probably be feeling great by the time for your cruise, having taken off a few pounds.

good luck,

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, glad to see so many current and future lap banders! I was banded

back in March 05 and have lost about 45 pounds to date. Would like to lose

52 by my March 10 "bandiversary" but we will see. I am going on my first

cruise since being banded the week of March 27th. We are going on the

Monarch of the Seas and one of our ports is San Diego. I am trying to convince DH that I need to run down to TJ for a fill while we are there. (we

live in Ga). I wish everyone continued success with your bands!

Rhonda

• 3 weeks later...
I am a "bandster" since August of 2005.....doing great....love my band!!!

We are planning a cruise for February 2007...my main concern is being able to get bottled water (without going broke!!!). I drink about 70 ozs. of water a day. I know you have to pay for acoholic drinks and you can purchase "soda passes" for the kids, but do you pay for bottled water? I am a real "virgin" when it comes to cruising, so excuse me if this is a really dumb question.

Thanks,

Quiltingfool

Hi! I had RnY and went on a cruise in Sept and I will be going again in under two weeks. What I do for water is to take a Britta water filter (small sports bottle type) and fill up my water bottles. You can also ask to have a jug of water delivered in the am with your room service. You will have a blast!

Keep up the water.

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as scheduled, I had my lap band surgery on 3/6/06. Everything is going great...not even one gas pain. Of course, the incisions are still sore, but I've progressed from clear liquids to full liquids to yesterday I started pureed. Going along great. Hope it continues this way. So far, I've lost 12.5 lbs. in the last 9 days, but I know that will slow down. I'm wondering if I will gain a few back when I start to eat regular food again? Anyway, our cruise isn't until May 28, so hopefully I'll have had a fill by then and be good to go. I'm soooooooooooo excited to be a bandster!

Jo-Ann

• 1 year later...

Archived