Upgrade Roulette - now what?

mdmomof7

Maybe the OP is so close to sailing that the normal CSR's cannot change a room without going through Inventory Control. This close to sailing, I'm sure they are busy assigning all the guaranty's and there are probably folks waitlisted too.

I left another message for the TA and he just called me back. He requested a within category switch to the cabin I prefer. He said he's done this many times and it's been granted. However, for some reason, likely Princess wants to UNDERSTANDABLY make as much $$ as possible, they will not automatically do this. They have placed my request and will let us know within 24 hrs.

So TA is going to bat for me and has done this before for other clients and been successful. For whatever reason, Princess isn't immediately granting this request.

All this is interesting, but I'm okay with my cabin that's already assigned. My desire is for another, but either way it's a balcony and a cruise! :)

Super! I know it can be done as long as you stay within your category and I have seen others have to wait also for a confirmed switch with a guarantee cabin. Good luck and keep us posted.

Maybe the OP is so close to sailing that the normal CSR's cannot change a room without going through Inventory Control. This close to sailing, I'm sure they are busy assigning all the guaranty's and there are probably folks waitlisted too.

Just looked. They are on the Emerald the week before I am--they leave this Sunday. Guess that could have something to do with it.

I think this is likely too. Makes sense since I've seen lots of cabins appearing and disappearing in the last two days!

Just looked. They are on the Emerald the week before I am--they leave this Sunday. Guess that could have something to do with it.
Agreed.

Super! I know it can be done as long as you stay within your category and I have seen others have to wait also for a confirmed switch with a guarantee cabin. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks again for bringing the within category to my attention. We actually got some action when we asked for it to be within category! We'll see and I'll let everyone know tomorrow when I find out Princess' response.

More excitement to add to the normal excitement of the week of the cruise! :)

But you all already knew that!

I just went on Princess.com to see if the cabin I wanted was still available and it wasn't, but the one we were originally assigned WAS!! I checked our boarding passes and luggage tags and we got the cabin I wanted! So, they wouldn't downgrade us to BD, but they would change us within the category they assigned, BC.

I'll let you know what we think of R722 when we get back. ;)

Princess, you are the best!! Woo hoo!

But you all already knew that!

I just went on Princess.com to see if the cabin I wanted was still available and it wasn't, but the one we were originally assigned WAS!! I checked our boarding passes and luggage tags and we got the cabin I wanted! So, they wouldn't downgrade us to BD, but they would change us within the category they assigned, BC.

I'll let you know what we think of R722 when we get back. ;)

Princess, you are the best!! Woo hoo!

Glad it worked out for you and you're welcome from an earlier post. We love being in the aft part of the ship. :)

I have had luck with Princess putting my reservation back into the guarantee "pool". This has been done through my TA. Call him again this morning and have him give it another try. Different agent at Princess many times will have a different result.

At any rate.........have a wonderful cruise!!

Donna

Glad it worked out for you and you're welcome from an earlier post. We love being in the aft part of the ship. :)

Glad to hear you like the area so much! I love the Terrace Pool area and the convenience of being near it is very appealing. I kind of liked the idea of the "seclusion" of being all the way forward in the original assigned cabin, R206, but wasn't 100% sure. I booked a last minute Canada/NE 4 day a few years ago on Carnival Victory and we had an inside cabin all the way forward. I realized #1 I don't like an inside cabin and #2 I didn't like being all the way forward.

Can't wait! :)

Wow this whole thing about signing up for a GTY room then going through all the fuss about trying to negotiate a cabin you really want is tiring! Is it worth it? This validates to me just get the cabin you want, pay for it and enjoy!

Wow this whole thing about signing up for a GTY room then going through all the fuss about trying to negotiate a cabin you really want is tiring! Is it worth it? This validates to me just get the cabin you want, pay for it and enjoy!

Ha ha. I hear ya! Actually, if I didn't know that it was possible to switch Guarantee cabins, I still would have booked the BG and lived with it. It's just finding out all the ins and outs on this board that gave me the notion to even try to switch. Keeps life interesting! ;)

Back in February, we had a budget and booked the Obstructed Ocean View and were happy with that. We had two price reductions on that cabin and it made it even sweeter. It wasn't until Final Payment that I saw a competing company's BG offer and asked my TA to match it, which he did. So for $350 total we upgraded to the BG. All in all, we got a terrific deal yet again and I hadn't seen as many deals on Princess in the last 2 years - at least deals like I used to see. So, I'm happy and it would have all been good even if we couldn't have switched cabins.

I understand about the "challenge" of getting the best price. I guess Im much to anal about where on the ship Im going to wind up. Usually I know what itinerary I want before its released and just wait for the chance to jump on it and get the exact cabin I want. Then I constantly check pricing for any "sales." We are on Mexico Riviera next Feb and we just got a price reduction of almost $500 - sweet!

I understand about the "challenge" of getting the best price. I guess Im much to anal about where on the ship Im going to wind up. Usually I know what itinerary I want before its released and just wait for the chance to jump on it and get the exact cabin I want. Then I constantly check pricing for any "sales." We are on Mexico Riviera next Feb and we just got a price reduction of almost $500 - sweet!

You got it! I love to find the best deal! $500 - that's your airfare or some really nice excursions! Woo hoo! Enjoy! :)

Archived