Upgrade Roulette - now what?

mdmomof7

So I just played my first game of upgrade roulette. Got my cabin assigned just this evening and went from a BG to a BC. That's nice. Right? So...what I really want is one of the BD cabins still listed as available. Do I dare call my TA and ask if they will call Princess and see if I can have that BD cabin? We're in R206, second from the front, port side. I want an aft cabin on a lower deck.

What do you think? Doesn't hurt to try? Greedy? Call Princess directly?

Now I feel like a novice, which I am at booking a guarantee cabin. :rolleyes:

If you booked through a travel agent they would have to talk to Princess as Princess will not discuss details with you. But I have to ask, if you wanted an aft balcony on a lower deck, why didn't you simply book the cabin you wanted rather than hoping for a lucky upgrade to the cabin of your choice?

I had my pricepoint and took a gamble, upgrading to a BG at Final Payment. I am not displeased with what I got. It's not under the pool deck and should be quiet. I'm just wondering if for the same price they will let me go to a lower category (BD) cabin. It's not a coveted aft balcony, rather a balcony that is aft on the deck as opposed to forward which is where we are currently assigned. I'm wondering if it's worth it to ask and if anyone has any experience in such a scenario.

mdmomof7,

We had something similar happen. Booked a guarantee BD, got upgraded to BA, but it was forward Lido deck which I wasn't keen on. Called Princess (we booked directly with them), gal said only BA cabins were on Lido. Explained I didn't want to be that much forward. Asked if Caribe deck was available. She contacted the inventory department. Within an hour we had an email which in essence "downgraded" us from the upgraded BA, down to BB but on Caribe deck, Aft! I was thrilled! It's worth a phone call!

Good luck and keep of posted.

Cheers,

Karen

Actually several cruises ago I mistakenly(had the deck pans for the wrong ship up on my laptop screen) booked an oceanview rather than a balcony. The only way I found out was when I was "upgraded" and checked the cabin and found it to have two portholes. My wife can't handle small enclosed areas so I immediately called Princess and they were able to relocate us. They told us we were lucky because the ship was almost totally sold out at that point. If you are going to try I suggest you talk to your TA ASAP.

mdmomof7,

We had something similar happen. Booked a guarantee BD, got upgraded to BA, but it was forward Lido deck which I wasn't keen on. Called Princess (we booked directly with them), gal said only BA cabins were on Lido. Explained I didn't want to be that much forward. Asked if Caribe deck was available. She contacted the inventory department. Within an hour we had an email which in essence "downgraded" us from the upgraded BA, down to BB but on Caribe deck, Aft! I was thrilled! It's worth a phone call!

Good luck and keep of posted.

Cheers,

Karen

Thanks for the info, Karen. That's what I was looking for - similar scenarios. It's very helpful. I just left a message w/ my agent about my request. He's supposedly working until 11pm CST, so we'll see. I have another cruise booked w/ him so maybe he'll actually call me back. ;)

Good luck! Also, did you check and see if there might also be aft BC cabins available; switching to one of those might be easier than going through the "downgrade/upgrade" conversation.

The only other BC available is R201, which is starboard one forward of us. They are obviously filling all the guarantees now because this morning there were 6 cabins available in BC and BB just went guarantee only last night. Yesterday, BB had 6 cabins showing. My agent just called back. He had a Princess rep on the other line. My downgrade request cannot be approved because that dept. is closed, but he will call again tomorrow. I'd rather be aft in cabin A715 or A718. It's closer to the Terrace pool and the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe. I'm fine if it can't happen, but you never know until you ask.

Feeling a little greedy here, but I guess I'll get over it! :o

I talked w/ the TA last night, but Princess couldn't say what they'd do because that office at Princess was closed for the night. He just called me and had Princess on the other line. Princess would not change or downgrade our assigned cabin w/o charging us the current going rate for the category I wanted (BD) - which is currently $480 more than what we paid for our BG balcony guarantee.

As of this morning, more aft Riviera deck BC balconies are now available as well as the BD Aloha aft balconies still being available. My TA recommended that at check in at the port, I ask to be moved to an available cabin in the areas I wanted. Guess I'll be bringing my laptop now! Wasn't planning on that, but I can check at the hotel the morning we board and see what cabins are still available and give them 3 or 4 possibilities. You never know! Maybe the hotel has internet and I won't have to bring the laptop!

I also think that there is a forward viewing deck just outside our cabin, all the way forward on the Riviera deck. Not sure, but I think so.

This is all very interesting and exciting. I love bargling! lol!

Either way, I'm not under the pool and I AM on a lovely ship - in a balcony!! And, if we do wind up staying in R206, I will walk off the extra IC pastries I am excited to try!

Happy sailing!! :)

Interesting. Your situation directly contradicts what other people have been saying, that you could request a different cabin in a downgraded category, if you're not happy with the room you're assigned. Being able to do that never did make sense to me...

I don't think you'll be able to see any cabin availability the day before your cruise. Everything by then will show up as not available. The check-in reps at Princess have always told us that they don't have any power to move people. Most ships are sailing full these days, so it's likely that the cabins you want will be filled.

Interesting. Your situation directly contradicts what other people have been saying, that you could request a different cabin in a downgraded category, if you're not happy with the room you're assigned. Being able to do that never did make sense to me...

Yep, that's what I think too. Oh well. Odd, though.

geoherb - That makes it simpler, then. I just won't bring my laptop and ask about the ones I know about already. You never know. :rolleyes:

I talked w/ the TA last night, but Princess couldn't say what they'd do because that office at Princess was closed for the night. He just called me and had Princess on the other line. Princess would not change or downgrade our assigned cabin w/o charging us the current going rate for the category I wanted (BD) - which is currently $480 more than what we paid for our BG balcony guarantee.

As of this morning, more aft Riviera deck BC balconies are now available as well as the BD Aloha aft balconies still being available. My TA recommended that at check in at the port, I ask to be moved to an available cabin in the areas I wanted. Guess I'll be bringing my laptop now! Wasn't planning on that, but I can check at the hotel the morning we board and see what cabins are still available and give them 3 or 4 possibilities. You never know! Maybe the hotel has internet and I won't have to bring the laptop!

I also think that there is a forward viewing deck just outside our cabin, all the way forward on the Riviera deck. Not sure, but I think so.

This is all very interesting and exciting. I love bargling! lol!

Either way, I'm not under the pool and I AM on a lovely ship - in a balcony!! And, if we do wind up staying in R206, I will walk off the extra IC pastries I am excited to try!

Happy sailing!! :)

I wouldn't wait until you get to the port--by that time it'll be too late. Sounds like there are now BC's available (same category that you are assigned to) that you'd prefer to your current assigned cabin. I'd try your TA and ask them to switch you within the BC category. We had elected a balcony guarantee (lowest balcony category) on our upcoming Emerald Princess cruise and were originally assigned a BA on the Lido deck. Talked to my TA, who checked and found BA's available on the Caribe midship. Got Princess to switch to one of the Caribe balconies.

I wouldn't wait until you get to the port--by that time it'll be too late. Sounds like there are now BC's available (same category that you are assigned to) that you'd prefer to your current assigned cabin. I'd try your TA and ask them to switch you within the BC category. We had elected a balcony guarantee (lowest balcony category) on our upcoming Emerald Princess cruise and were originally assigned a BA on the Lido deck. Talked to my TA, who checked and found BA's available on the Caribe midship. Got Princess to switch to one of the Caribe balconies.

We already asked and their response was to charge the current going rate for the downgraded cabin which is $480 more. Don't know why they won't do it this time if they've done it before? :rolleyes:

That's the fun of upgrade roulette.

When you book a GTY you are indicating that you will be happy in any cabin in any location in that category or higher.

If you will not be happy under those conditions, you need to book a specific cabin and have it marked "do not upgrade."

that is too bad, they have certainly accommodated others. I wouldn't bring your lap top, as others have said there will not be any cabins available. And every time I have been a ship they have always said there are no other cabins available. But I like the cabin you have been assigned, very quiet area. good luck with your cruise

If your gty has been assigned as a BC category and you are seeing other BC open cabins that you'd like better, you ABSOLUTELY should be able to change. I've done it several times. Maybe your T/A just doesn't want to go to any more trouble.

If your gty has been assigned as a BC category and you are seeing other BC open cabins that you'd like better, you ABSOLUTELY should be able to change. I've done it several times. Maybe your T/A just doesn't want to go to any more trouble.

Not sure about that. He called me back this am and last night. Both times he said he had Princess on the phone and they want to charge me the going rate. If that sounds odd, the only recourse I have is to push it with him and basically insinuate that he's not being truthful when he says he's talked w/ Princess. That's not appealing. :o

caribill - I'm okay with the roulette game of guarantees. I would have lived w/ being under the pool deck too. I knew what I was getting into. I just thought I'd try as others have said they have been successful in doing so after being assigned though they booked a guarantee and were upgraded in categories.

vickie - That's good news. It might be very cool to be so far forward and not have other cabins in front of you save one. Maybe we'll have even more of a love affair with the ocean vista after our week in this cabin! Could that even be possible? :)

I thought you only asked your TA for an aft cabin for a BD downgraded and TA claims Princess said no. But did you ask your TA to stay within your category BC since you see cabins available.

Now that you say that, maybe he did only ask for a downgraded BD and assumed it would also apply to the BC. I'll double check. Thanks!

I thought you only asked your TA for an aft cabin for a BD downgraded and TA claims Princess said no. But did you ask your TA to stay within your category BC since you see cabins available.

I left another message for the TA and he just called me back. He requested a within category switch to the cabin I prefer. He said he's done this many times and it's been granted. However, for some reason, likely Princess wants to UNDERSTANDABLY make as much $$ as possible, they will not automatically do this. They have placed my request and will let us know within 24 hrs.

So TA is going to bat for me and has done this before for other clients and been successful. For whatever reason, Princess isn't immediately granting this request.

All this is interesting, but I'm okay with my cabin that's already assigned. My desire is for another, but either way it's a balcony and a cruise! :)

Archived