Chankanaab lately?

kaeffe

What did your $34 pp cover? Their web site says entrance fee is $19 pp. Thanks --:confused:

I put in a correction to the quote of $34; it was $19.

It included all beach activites, including their beautiful pool, a tour through the park, use of great palapas (straw unbrellas) and snorkeling. They provide vests for free, but we have our own equipment, so never rented anything. I do think there is a charge for other equipment, but do not know that price.

i think to rent everything is like 15 us dollars. I rented a life vest for my wife and it was 5 bucks. Fins also were 5 bucks.if you want everything its about 15 bucks from what I remember in 2008.It was 16 dollars to get in at that time and we had a 2 off coupon.They still have the coupons online somewhere.i think now it is 19 dollars to get in. Well worth it for Chaank park.

Can anyone tell me how much it costs to rent snorkeling equipment in Chankanaab? I'm debating buying our own, but it would be nice not to have to lug it around. Is their equipment clean/sanitized? Newer? Quality? Etc... thanks

Was there last Wednesday, and I think it was $12. You get mask, snorkle, fins, and a life jacket (I chose the jacket since it was my first time).

The mask and snorkle kinda shows their age, but I really wanted to try this so i rented them. If I were to do it again I would bring my own mask and snorkle and rent the rest as needed.

All in all, it was a great experience that I would like to do again.

Hope you have a great time!

I went to Chankenaab 2 weeks ago for the 2nd time. Two years ago we went with Carnival and did the dolphin swim, but didn't have enough time relaxing on the beach afterward. This time we took a taxi ($10) and spent the day. I did the manatee swim this time and the fee was $59 which included the entrance and the sea lion show. Snorkel equipment is not included in the fee, but if you bring your own equipment you don't have to pay any additional. The manatee swim was amazing - much better than I expected. Part of the time we were free to swim with the 2 manatees and feed them lettuce which was a lot of fun.

After the swim we relaxed under one of the thatched umbrellas. There were 4 ships in port, but not many people at the park. Someone from the restaurant brought us a menu and we ordered right there. He then brought the food to us. Very relaxing.

Great info and awesome pics! Thanks! Thanks also Laurieb!

• 1 month later...

We will be in Cozumel Feb 1st 2011. I have reserved 3 for the manatee encounter at 10:00. I have mobility issues and will be on a mobility scooter. I did a live chat with the website girl and asked her about getting to the stairs that lead in to the dolphinarium.

This is what she said: ": from the entrance of the park to the dolphinarium is not on sand. It is not paved but is filled with small stones. it is wheel chair accessible."

Then I asked "And you feel like I will be able to ride my electric mobility scooter all the way to the stairs that lead into the dolphinarium?"

Martha: yes since the platform is made from wood

Martha: and then their are steps to get into the water

My question to those of you who have recently been to Chankanaab, do you think this person is correct? Was it difficult to get in and out of the water on the steps that lead into the Manatee area and also the snorkel area? Any suggestions? Thanks

We were there last month and did the Manatee swim (plus the royal dolphin, plus the sea lion). The entire park is very wheelchair friendly at the Dolphin Discovery area (did not have time to venture further down the beach). There are either wooden plank walkways, cement, or pea gravel in that area. The walkway out to the dolphin and manatee encounters are wooden and I don't remember any steps until you get to the area to walk down the steps into the water. But once you get there, the steps are metal and they can be a little slippery. The cove is wire fenced off from the sea but you definitely can get some rough water. I remember it seemed harder and rougher getting into the dolphin area. It was a little windy and the water was slippery. The water was also cold. You should be able to wear water shoes though for the manatee encounter. You feed and pet them along the wall and then they give you snorkel masks and extra lettuce so you can free swim with them and feed them. The manatees really are fascinating creatures, and so gentle.

As long as you are comfortable walking down the metal steps you should be fine. I remember holding onto the wire mesh on the side and the railing because it seemed slippery and the water was choppy.

If you look back over some other photos from Chankanaab you will catch glimpses of the wooden walkways and such.

It was a wonderful experience!

We were there last month and did the Manatee swim (plus the royal dolphin, plus the sea lion). The entire park is very wheelchair friendly at the Dolphin Discovery area (did not have time to venture further down the beach). There are either wooden plank walkways, cement, or pea gravel in that area. The walkway out to the dolphin and manatee encounters are wooden and I don't remember any steps until you get to the area to walk down the steps into the water. But once you get there, the steps are metal and they can be a little slippery. The cove is wire fenced off from the sea but you definitely can get some rough water. I remember it seemed harder and rougher getting into the dolphin area. It was a little windy and the water was slippery. The water was also cold. You should be able to wear water shoes though for the manatee encounter. You feed and pet them along the wall and then they give you snorkel masks and extra lettuce so you can free swim with them and feed them. The manatees really are fascinating creatures, and so gentle.

As long as you are comfortable walking down the metal steps you should be fine. I remember holding onto the wire mesh on the side and the railing because it seemed slippery and the water was choppy.

If you look back over some other photos from Chankanaab you will catch glimpses of the wooden walkways and such.

It was a wonderful experience!

Thanks for this info. I do have swim shoes and am willing to try and tackle the steps. I will just have to take my time. At first I wanted to do the dolphin encounter, but I decided that we would enjoy the manatees more. Yes, I'm worried that the water will be chilly at 10:00 a.m. in Feb:eek:

Thanks for this info. I do have swim shoes and am willing to try and tackle the steps. I will just have to take my time. At first I wanted to do the dolphin encounter, but I decided that we would enjoy the manatees more. Yes, I'm worried that the water will be chilly at 10:00 a.m. in Feb:eek:

Hope you have a great time. You will have life jackets on.

You may also want to consider the sea lion encounter. It's done in the sea lion pool. The water is a little warmer, the steps are regular pool steps with a rail, and the sea lions are wonderful.

I also remembered that before deciding we went on You Tube and found videos of all three. This will help you decide more too.

The staff are really good to work with. My DD is disabled (mental, not physical) and they really made it special for her and worked with her special needs.

Have fun, wish we were going back.

was there last Sunday. The first hut you come to leases mask, snorkel, fins for $15. The other hut 30 yards away leases the same for only $10. The "life vest" or Bouyancy Compensator (BC) is free and distributed by the life guard. They hold your ID while you have the BC checked out.

Chankanaab is great!

Beautiful park, snorkeling was good, the food at the restaurant was outstanding....Here's a few shots for you

The beach

ry%3D400

My chicken taco's....YUM!

ry%3D400

Palapa's

ry%3D400

Dolphin swim:

ry%3D400

Walking Trails:

ry%3D400

We had a blast and I'd go back again....I rented snorkeling equipment while there and it was all fine....We also had NO problem getting a taxi when it was time to leave....there were quite a few of them waiting just outside the entrance....have fun!

I am sailing on the Allure of the Seas in January and am considering which of the dolphin tours to choose from. I would love to do the dolphin swim, but I am not a very good swimmer. Could anyone who has done the dolphin swim tell me how deep the water is in the dolphin encounter area? Do you think someone who does not swim well could still enjoy the dolphin swim, or should I just stick to the encounter on the platform?

Thanks for your help!

I am sailing on the Allure of the Seas in January and am considering which of the dolphin tours to choose from. I would love to do the dolphin swim, but I am not a very good swimmer. Could anyone who has done the dolphin swim tell me how deep the water is in the dolphin encounter area? Do you think someone who does not swim well could still enjoy the dolphin swim, or should I just stick to the encounter on the platform?

Thanks for your help!

I am not a very good swimmer either but I am comfortable in water over my head with a life jacket. Everyone wears a life jacket for the dolphin swims. They have every size range and they help to fit you. You should be fine. The water is very deep but I have no idea how deep. For part of the swim you are up against the metal mesh aloong the dock. You swim out when they instruct you to. They also have someone in the water there to assist if needed in addition to the trainer.

I really enjoyed my experience and was never afraid. As long as you are comfortable in a life jacket, you should be fine.

Hi Mary, the same problems and questions had my wife, she can not swim.

But first with the swimjacket everything is very safe, and when we told to the dolfin teacher that she can not swim she where helped at once by a second very friendly teacher from the park.

You can see here also in the pics I shared in the posting above...so also for her it was an awesome experience...

Archived