Two 19 year olds in a cabin - is that allowed??

I don't know what the requirements are for having under 21-year olds stay in a cabin by themselves. This has never been an issue for us since we have always had over-25 year olds in the same cabin with the minors.

However, I do know that a notarized letter is NOT REQUIRED if the "child" is over the age of 18. The notarized letter is a requirement imposed by U.S. and foreign governments when traveling outside the country with a minor to prevent child abductions (especially by divorced parents). Since an 18 year old is a legal adult in the U.S., they have the legal right to leave the country whenever they wish without parental consent, therefore no letter is needed.

The cruiselines insistence on having 18 to 21 year olds travel with an older adult is not a legal requirement imposed by the U.S. or any foreign government, but rather is a rule imposed by the cruiseline to protect the ship from being overrun by this "difficult" age group that has been known to cause problems.

I had a feeling that DChibara didn't notice that CruisinBabe said that "one of my co-workers might end up coming along and would share my cabin". It always comes out eventually that some posters don't read the original information. I have better things to do than to trade insults with someone who is not an authority on cruising. (Please refer to above quote "RCI does not".) "Incourage"? I would like to "encourage" CruisinBabe to invite her co-worker, in order to secure two cabins and not have to pay the single supplement! I had a feeling DChibara has only been on a few cruises. It always comes out eventually.

As Imsulin has stated, the operative word here is not "adult" but "parent and/or legal guardian." Unless the Aunt is the legal guardian for her niece, she will need to book her niece with her in her cabin. As far as her niece's friend, she will also have to be booked with an adult.

We've always been allowed to have our own children in their own cabin, but when they've brought their friends along, we've had to book the friends in a cabin with either myself or my husband. Of course, once onboard, we just change rooms. You do have to go to the Purser's Desk to get an additional room key (if the charge card you use on board is also your room key, they will just issue another card that has no charging privileges, but works only as a room key).

I agree also with Imsulin that so much misinformation is given out by the cruise lines themselves. It's no wonder the TA's can't keep it straight either.

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

Thanks, jerseygirl3! I know there have been times that I had to speak directly with our area sales rep. just to get accurate information, and it wasn't just with RCI. I remember the "nightmare" this past Jan. and Feb. when it was announced that Passports were required for cruisers going to Barbados. Frantic phone calls FROM me to cruise lines, and frantic calls TO me from clients! One thing I've noticed is that cruise line res. agents tend to read off of prepared "scripts", and many of them have never been on a cruise. There's a large turn-over with res. agents, too. I've often had to ask, "Are you sure about that?", and then they put me on hold to check with a supervisor. I think that these boards are a great way to get information, but I must caution this by saying that one person's cruise experience does not necessarily dictate what another's cruise experience will be. Personally, if I read a poster saying "Don't worry about it", that would make me take a second look. I cruised many times before I began as an outside agent TA, and could relate cruising experience, but always took the time to give accurate information - and believe me! That information has changed considerably over the years! Thanks again, jerseygirl3! (I used to teach at New Brunswick HS. Lived in Martinsville).

I did indeed read the original post and I don't know what that has to do with what I said. CruisinBabe wanted two cabins, one for herself with possibly a friend coming along, and one for here niece and the nieces friend. Whether her friend came along and stayed with her or not, has nothing to do with whether or not the niece and her friend can be booked in a separate cabin?

I have been on 14 cruises since 1990, 8 of which were with RCI. We were on the AOS last month and have four cabins booked on the Spendour for this December. We are also looking at doing a quick get-away next month on the Monarch with my two teenage sons and some of their friends. I may not be as seasoned of a cruiser as imsulin, but it's not my first "Rodeo" either.

I work for Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas and have traveled extensively since I was a child and I'm almost 46. In the entertainment business I have toured all over the globe and stayed in more hotels, flew on more airplanes, rented more cars, and dined in more Restaurants than just about anyone I know. I do consider myself somewhat of an expert on travel, but I'm not the authority.

I am always leery of people like imsulin who answer every question they see on these boards as if they know it all. I love the board and have gathered some great research for my trips, but a lot of what's on here is BS. I encourage anyone who reads these posts to take everything with a "Grain of Salt", and to double check everything they read here.

I'm 58, have been on many more cruises than you have, (since the mid-80's,) have also travelled extensively since I was a child, and have most likely been to more places in the world than you have, and because of my age, have had more travel experience than you have. I also read posts like DChabira's and take them with the proverbial "grain of salt", and am very leery of these kinds of posts that encourage (I mean "incourage") other posters to do what may not be in their best interests. I also agree that what DChabira has posted is a lot of "BS" (a term I've chosen not to initiate). I've always thought it was best to receive accurate information and act upon it. I went to Fiji in 2000, right after a "coup" that took place in Suva. The State Dept. info. that issued a "travel warning" was very outdated, but by researching and talking directly to Fijian officials, we went and had a wonderful time! I'm always leery of people like DChabira who answer every question they see on these boards as if they know it all.

Grammar and spelling have a lot to do with credibility.

I think somebody should pull the plug on this post SOON !, I think some where the original question has been lost and I see this thread going nowhere and helping no one.

Jimbo icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/3/04 Legend of the Seas

Panama Canal 14-Nights

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2/13/05 Carnival "Miracle"

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;8;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

8/28/05 Serenade of the Seas

Alaska Bound

If they are 19 years old they should not need a note from parents. 19 years old by law is an adult, as these people may now live on

their own.

"The cruiselines insistence on having 18 to 21 year olds travel with an older adult is not a legal requirement imposed by the U.S. or any foreign government, but rather is a rule imposed by the cruiseline to protect the ship from being overrun by this "difficult" age group that has been known to cause problems."

There are cruise lines that do let 18 year olds be on the shipwith out someone else, as has been stated the 21 year old rule is just created by the cruise lines themselves.

1/01 NCL Majesty

1/02 NCL Majesty

1/03 RCCL Brilliance of the Seas

3/03 Carnival Jubilee

8/03 RCCL Navigator Of the Seas

1/04 RCCL Adventure of the Seas

3/04 RCCL Radiance of the Seas

8/15/04 Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;8;15;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

14 DAY LEGEND OF THE SEAS PANAMA CANAL CRUISE (12/26/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

3/12/05 SPRING BREAK on the GRAND PRINCESS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;3;12;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

7 DAY WESTERN ON THE EXPLORER (5/22/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;5;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived