ES Price drops - Fact or Urban legend?

TortieGal

Just curious if LACK of price drops when booking ES is more the norm. Was searching through the ES posts and noticed there are a lot of posts from people who have had price drops but all our cruise has done is go up up and up.

So, makes me wonder. Are price drops really that common? From all the posts about price drops - and I realize we still have 2 months to go - I surely thought we would end up with a good thousand dollars in OBC.

;):rolleyes::D

Just curious if LACK of price drops when booking ES is more the norm. Was searching through the ES posts and noticed there are a lot of posts from people who have had price drops but all our cruise has done is go up up and up.

So, makes me wonder. Are price drops really that common? From all the posts about price drops - and I realize we still have 2 months to go - I surely thought we would end up with a good thousand dollars in OBC.

Its a fact, but just not across the board, I see you are on Splendor. It seems when they pulled ships and switched itineraries on the west coast, Splendor when from being one of the cheaper cruises to middle of the road, so keep checking, but you might have booked at a time when the prices were at the lowest.

I would take that as a sign that you booked the lowest price.

Good Job!:D

We have rec'd $60/pp in credit so far, but are not yet at final payment. I'm not sure how much lower it will go, though. I think we have a pretty good price.

The past guest rate just reappeared after one of the fun something or other rates was the only choice for weeks. So, fingers crossed. :D We booked a 4F for a little over $500 so I would be fine with no price drop...but it would be a nice surprise!

I would take that as a sign that you booked the lowest price.

Good Job!:D

We have rec'd $60/pp in credit so far, but are not yet at final payment. I'm not sure how much lower it will go, though. I think we have a pretty good price.

BigRed has it exactly right. In our case, we received a couple of hundred from price drops for our last cruise, and all came within the 30 days prior to our sail date. But, if you don't see a price drop, then you can rest assured that you got the best price there is, which is what ES is all about. As for us, we would never book ES with the expectation that we'd get OBC or other money back. What we want to ensure is that we have the best price available for a cabin that we choose. Getting money back or avoiding a price increase... we win either way!

We booked the Victory (sailing 1/23/11) about a week after we came home from the Dream (1/2010). We booked at exactly the same price. Which we were happy with - but I now have $268.00 in OBC from a price drop. I like ES, we can only vacation in Jan because of work.

On our last cruise, we weren't so lucky on the OBC.

LOOOONG time lurker (used you for my past two cruises and now for my upcoming Dream cruise in 18 DAYS!!) but I've never posted.

Anywho, I've never taken advantage of the ES guarantee until now; however, I've noticed that each time there is a price drop, my fees and taxes go up so my OBC is not a large as the price difference. Now, I'm not complaining, but I am curious...is this normal?

I have an 8C (or is it 8D) balcony, Room 7384, so maybe it's a class thing? Is there anyone here that can offer up some input?

Thanks so much! I love this board!! My DH and dad and stepmom always wonder how I get so much information and I just tell them I'm like a Cruise Ninja!

I have no idea where you got THAT number for for OBC, that's insane. I got about $300-$400 when all was said and done last time. For two 6C's.

That number was a joke which is why I had the wink smilie. Considering the cruise basically cost that much, I would hardly expect that much in OBC!

You often don't see price drops, if there are going to be any, until a month or even a few days before you sail. We have booked ES three times, gotten obc ranging from $75-$450, but always something. Does not garentee you will get OBC, does garentee that you will pay the lowest price and have a shot at OBC.

I wish we would get price drops ES on suites. We have never gotten a price drop on suites. Bummer.

Same here. We booked an OS on the Dream along with an inside room (4A). The 4A dropped by about 50 bucks per person at one point and we were able to get that turned into a 4F across the hall from the suite, but the ES rate we paid for the suite was the lowest it's ever been. I guess there's only a handful of suites so there's little chance of them having to drop the price of the room.

I wish we would get price drops ES on suites. We have never gotten a price drop on suites. Bummer.

We got $540 in OBC for our suite on the Miracle out of NY in May, so I guess it all depends.

We have only gotten $40 for our Legend balcony in Nov...less than a week after we booked it. It then went way up and stayed there...about $80 higher per person:eek: So glad we booked when we did, and got the small price drop!

We booked a 4K, a 4A, & an 8D on Legend in January 2010 for a cruise on 7/25. When we sailed we ended up with the following:

4A upgraded to 4K with $180obc

4K - 4K with $230obc

8D upgraded to 8K with $100obc

I watched prices like a hawk. They actually increased in the early stages but most activity was within the 30days to sail period. Prices were back up at the last 10 days or so before sailing. I do like the early saver option.

It is so hit and miss. We received 200.00 back about 2 months before cruise. It is for sure a gamble.. keep checking!

Our cruise isn't until Jan., but I've saved $160 so far since booking our cat. 8A cabin. Now the price is moving back up, so there may not be anymore savings, but we are happy with the price we paid - and even happier after the price drops.

We lucked out on our 2/21 Splendor cruise. We booked a 1A for $379 pp and a few weeks later, I found a $309 pp military rate. On top of that, I used a vacation certificate that I bought on the previous cruise so we had $100 OBC and we also got our tickets with frequent flyer miles. I wish they were all like that.

I've noticed that each time there is a price drop, my fees and taxes go up so my OBC is not a large as the price difference. Now, I'm not complaining, but I am curious...is this normal?

I have an 8C (or is it 8D) balcony, Room 7384, so maybe it's a class thing?

Glad to see a fellow Okie come out of the woodwork. ;)

I checked my documents just now for our December 7-night cruise. We started in an 8D at a price of $649 pp. After a few price drops and promotions, we are now in an 8E at a price of $609 pp. Our fees/taxes have remained the same. Are you basing prices on what is listed at the Carnival site or elsewhere?

I don't think it's a "class" thing, but I do think it is partly based on availability. So if you're on a ship with very few balconies, there may not be as many *deals* as in another category.

Enjoy your cruise! :D And come back to post a review when you return!

Originally Posted by blondestickchick

I've noticed that each time there is a price drop, my fees and taxes go up so my OBC is not a large as the price difference. Now, I'm not complaining, but I am curious...is this normal? It's pretty unusual for the "Govt Fees and Taxes" to frequently fluctuate - thery are not based on the amount or variation in the cruisefare.

I have an 8C (or is it 8D) balcony, Room 7384, so maybe it's a class thing? The Govt Fees and Taxes are the same for everyone, every category, on that sailing.

ken

Thanks all! Yes, I'm an okie (originally a Yankee, but we'll not talk about that!).

My federal fees and taxes will have increased almost $40 dollars since our first booking and they've only increased when I've asked about the ES thing. My ES rate was originally $749/pp Balcony (Dream sailing 9/4) and currently today has dropped to $679/pp. My "fees and taxes" have gone from $120 and some change to $151 and some change. Kinda takes the fun out of adding up my OBC. I'm still excited about it mind you, but confused! I did use a TA who happens to be out of town at the moment...could I still call Carnival and ask about this or should I just hush and be happy I'm cruising soon!?!?!

Ooops...the pricing is all from Carnival.com and my cruise docs, which I've printed out each time to keep track of pricing, adjustments, etc.

Archived