Okay, all you Floridians--Be Honest!

CathyCruises

We are cruising out of Miami on 1/15/11, but it looks like the best flights go into FLL. I'd like to fly in on the 13th. DH has never been to the area, and I haven't been there for years. Would we be better off staying and relaxing in FLL or thereabouts, or staying in Miami? I know we can take SAS, or maybe rent a car, just trying to figure out where would be the most fun and enjoyable.

We are not into shopping so that's not a consideration; and we are unlikely to just have a beach/pool day. I remember Miami being lots of high rises, really can't remember FLL at all!! Any special fun things to see or do in either place?

If you were in my shoes, what would YOU do?

Thanks,

Cathy

If what you want is just a day in the sun either by the pool or at the beach, I'd stay in Broward County, Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood.

I really recommend the Westin Diplomat, they have gorgeous pools and the boardwalk is close and fun to stoll on. (I'm not going to say it's quaint.)

The beach hotels in Ft. Lauderdale are also fine. W, Westin or Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort are all good choices. At the South end of Ft. Lauderdale beach, with lots of shops and restaurants close by.

The hotels on 17th Street are just national chains on a wide street, a tourist ghetto.

You have 3 choices in Miami for what you're looking for:

1. Blue Lagoon: Pretty much the same as 17th St. National chains, strip malls and thousands of other cruisers.

2. Miami Beach: Rather a schlep, expensive and probably not worth it for one night. Hotels on the beach, beautiful people, and upscale dining and shopping. It's what you think of when you think of Miami.

3. Intercontinental in Miami. Huge hotel, very nice. Downtown. Not close to anything except Bayside Marketplace, a tourist trap. It's fine for the night prior to your cruise, good pool, you can go to Bayside for a meal, it's not any kind of experience, but it will certainly suffice. You can get good rates on Priceline and Hotwire.

You stay in Miami if you just want to be down by the port and you don't much care about your surroundings. Aside from Miami Beach, Miami is just a city, and not a fun, pulsating, exciting city, but a downtown that rolls up the sidewalks at 5:00 PM kind of city.

You stay in Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood if you want to rest and relax, knock the dust of travel off of you and just get your vacation mindset going.

If the prices and flight times coming in and returning home are better out of FLL, go with FLL. If it were me, I'd use SAS over renting a car and doing the extra hassle of turning it in Miami (airport? vs POM?) and re renting. Hotels in FLL may be slightly cheaper than Miami Beach area that time of year, but depends upon what's going on. The draw backs to FLL are without a car, you're dependent upon the hotel having a shuttle or cabs to get around, but cabs aren't expensive and there are some beach area hotels near the airport, like Best Western Oceanside and Marriott's Harbor Beach Resort. Less expensive accomodations are around too but not on a beach, like Sleep Inn in Dania Beach, which has shuttles to airport and is near some restaurants and shopping for last minute stuff.

We are cruising out of Miami on 1/15/11, but it looks like the best flights go into FLL. I'd like to fly in on the 13th. DH has never been to the area, and I haven't been there for years. Would we be better off staying and relaxing in FLL or thereabouts, or staying in Miami? I know we can take SAS, or maybe rent a car, just trying to figure out where would be the most fun and enjoyable.

We are not into shopping so that's not a consideration; and we are unlikely to just have a beach/pool day. I remember Miami being lots of high rises, really can't remember FLL at all!! Any special fun things to see or do in either place?

If you were in my shoes, what would YOU do?

Thanks,

Cathy

I consider myself a semi-local. I spend so much time there I'm preparing to buy a condo in Broward County.

For me it's a no brainer...Ft Lauderdale...The Venice of America.

Stay out of "the city" and enjoy the beach, Water Taxi, Lauderdale By the Sea, less traffic, free parking (most areas), lower hotel rates, a wide variety of unique restaurants and on and on.

It sounds like you want to go and see things, so I think you should rent a car. In Miami, Vizcaya and Zoo Miami would be great outings.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and love it, but if you don't want to beach, pool, or shopping, there isn't that much to do. You could cruise on the water taxi, Jungle Queen, or Carrie B, or you could walk around downtown and the river. You wouldn't need a car to do any of that if you stayed downtown or on the beach. There are also everglades/airboat tours but you will need to get there.

OOh, Everglades tour sounds like fun. Any more info on that? Would we need a car to get there--is that what you're saying? We have no issues in renting a car for a few days, like the freedom. I guess it just depends on if it makes sense. We are big DIYers, but to really see the Everglades one would probably need some type of tour, yes?

OOh, Everglades tour sounds like fun. Any more info on that? Would we need a car to get there--is that what you're saying? We have no issues in renting a car for a few days, like the freedom. I guess it just depends on if it makes sense. We are big DIYers, but to really see the Everglades one would probably need some type of tour, yes?

MiamiBeach411 has an excellent Everglades tour and I highly recommend.

I agree with RoyalCruz that FLL can be a bit of a snooze and my husband and I have a second home in Rio Vista Isles on the water. We usually head to Miami if we want to do stuff.

Otherwise you can usually find us on Las Olas.

The everglades is in the westernmost part of Dade/Broward counties, so unless you stay right by there you would need a car or have high cab fare. I don't know anything about activities in the everglades, but I bet if you do a google search you'll come up with something.

OOh, Everglades tour sounds like fun.

If you are a DIY as described, you would need a car to drive roughly 40 minutes west in Miami-Dade County. I recommend Shark Valley, particularly during the cooler months. You can rent bikes there for a very modest price, and ride down a 15 mile loop to an observation tower in the middle. Mrs. Yogi and I love it.

Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but I am not a big fan. Lots of fun bars and restaurants in downtown Miami. The area to the north known as mid-town is sprouting new restaurants monthly. And of course infamous Miami Beach is just a short drive or cab ride away. Day of the cruise is a no-brainer, with a short $10 cab to the port.

Archived